Pictures :: Aftermath of Exploding CD

by derek on July 18, 2007 · 110 comments

This afternoon I was sitting with my youngest son at the computer while he was playing Reader Rabbit : Thinking Adventures. He was bouncing along through an activity when we heard a popping noise and I felt something hit my leg.

We both sat there for a second trying to figure out what had happened and that is when I saw the front trim piece of the DVD drive hanging from the computer. The piece that hit me in the leg was one of the plastic clips that holds the trim piece in place and as soon as I saw what had hit me, I knew the CD was toast.

After unplugging the machine and a little disassembly, I had the drive out and removed most of the pieces from the explosion. I’ve already ordered a replacement drive from NewEgg.com (thanks for the recommendation Shawn).

Rather than try to explain something I never thought I would see, I’ll let the pictures finish the story:

CD Explodes in DVD Drive
CD Explodes in DVD Drive
CD Explodes in DVD Drive
CD Explodes in DVD Drive
CD Explodes in DVD Drive
CD Explodes in DVD Drive
CD Explodes in DVD Drive

There you have it – pictures from the aftermath of an exploding CD. As you can see above, I was able to piece most of the CD back together but there are still quite a few pieces inside the drive. Hopefully the new DVD drive will arrive soon and I can have their machine back to normal.

Nothing like a little fun on a Wednesday afternoon!

Terry September 16, 2008 at 9:47 am

I didn’t know reader rabbit was still kicking. I remeber reader rabbit from my amegia days.

Terrys last blog post..Michigan SEO, SEO your way out of an economic funk

bob September 30, 2008 at 8:00 pm

wow 69 posts..must have gone viral

Alex November 10, 2008 at 2:49 am

There’s also the case of the microwaved cd

Craven December 22, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Whoa! How in the world did that happen?? You think it was the drive that caused it or the cd was alrdy damaged which caused it?

busbyseotest January 12, 2009 at 5:25 pm

How fast was your drive 208X? LOL

It must of been spinning really fast

busbyseotests last blog post..Busby SEO Test leaderboard link trade test

Tac January 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm

o_o I have a lot of Reader Rabbit discs, though that never happened to me. And our computer is dell…

*backs away from computer slowly*

Well I don’t have to worry about it moving too fast-Our computer moves about as slow as an hourglass

Jimmy January 24, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Woah! That exact same thing happened to me on my Dell comp. I was playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego Deluxe Edition. Another educational title – somethings going on there?

derek January 24, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Hi there Jimmy, thanks for stopping by to share your experience! Maybe there is some sort of bias against the educational games, lol. :)

Bret March 18, 2009 at 4:54 am

I can’t believe that even a cd can explode too. I haven’t experience this kind of explosion and I would let my know about this so that they would be aware too. Nice post. Thanks for sharing your pics and your informative article.

F T June 18, 2009 at 2:14 pm

That happened to me today. I’m still not sure if the drive works.

Mack October 28, 2009 at 6:50 am

Unbelievable I have never seen a disc exploding before. Is this because you leave the cd in the player for long time? I am absolutely clueless as why is this happening?
.-= Mack@Foreclosures Las Vegas´s last blog ..Commercial Real Estate Bubble =-.

curious November 16, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I am looking for current real statistics on this happening.
is this happening in 1/1000? 1/10,000? 1/100,000?
what is causing it? how can we prevent it?
I have been told to discard 100′s of DVDs that have tiny cracks in the center.

Mythbuster December 5, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Your CD must have been cracked already. There is no way that a healthy CD would have exploded under those circumstances. Mythbuster’s tested the exploding CD myth here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6avp29GqXo

ghartshaw December 5, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I had a CD explode like that a while ago too.

James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil December 6, 2009 at 5:59 am

I have seen the Mythbusters episode, too. There is no way a CD drive can spin fast enough to break a CD. So the CDs either had a stress flaw or, people ar lying to get attention, even on the internet. Sad, but hardly unusual.
.-= James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil´s last blog …Trees vs People =-.

derek December 6, 2009 at 9:47 am

As you can see by the pictures above, we clearly had a CD explode in the drive. Now, it is certainly possible that the CD had a crack or flaw in it but it went unnoticed by anyone that was loading the CD into the drive.

Keith December 6, 2009 at 11:29 pm

That’s happened to me before too; I was installing a game called “silver” (not educational, it’s a pc based rpg) on my younger sister’s computer and the disc shattered in the drive, I had to take it apart to get all the pieces out.

ijngaoshiznatfdignobh December 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm

wow. how uninteresting. STUMBLE FAIL. really not an interesting page.

derek December 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Golla March 1, 2010 at 10:43 am

I have faced same problem in my office. I shocked. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Dan March 12, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I resurrected an old Gateway 310 (added 2 GB of memory) and am just now remembering its peculiarities.

The DVD ROM just goes wild reading some CDs–it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. But the same CD plays fine in the CD/RW drive, and DVDs play fine in the DVD drive.

I think that some DVD drives have a glitch (I’m not enough of an expert to say if it is in the DVD-ROM BIOS or the driver) whereby they attempt to read CDs uncontrollably fast.

Cesar July 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm

To me it has happened too

SEO Miami November 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm

That happened to me on my old Dell! Guess the CDs are just spinning way too fast.

Sam April 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Self combusting CD’s! Really like the way you’ve modified the thesis theme on your site.

Vic May 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm

My Windows7 DVD has just exploded in the drive too, never seen anything like it !!

Cadeau voor hem June 24, 2011 at 9:45 am

Same thing happened to me once!
Just bought my first copy of COD MW and it sort of exploded!
Luckily it didn’t damage the rest of my computer..
So I know how yoy feel Derek

Harold July 7, 2011 at 9:00 am

I just got a Dell and I was playing Duke Nukem 3D and the CD just Explode and man it scared, The computer is still working.
I never had this happen.

Kostas July 26, 2011 at 1:54 am

I didn’t know that this can happen, hope that this will never happen to me…

bliss August 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

well, it just happen to me. i was in the process of burning cd, and then its explode. i turn off the computer, open the cd-drive, the cd shattered into pieces. i think, some pieces still inside ><. its not my computer anyway..

Internet Marketing September 23, 2011 at 10:38 am

good thing none of those flying pieces hurt you!

pc part March 28, 2012 at 2:40 am

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 11 trackbacks }