Speedlinking – Miami Edition

by derek on September 15, 2008 · 18 comments

This edition of Speedlinking comes to you from the coast of the Atlantic Ocean as I am visiting Miami, Florida for a work conference. My room at the Loews Hotel is overlooking the ocean, which is adding to the difficulty of making it to the conference sessions.

In honor of my first trip to Miami, I wanted to put a little South Beach spin on the links this week. While you take a few minutes to visit each site listed below, I will be doing my best to stay focused on the task at hand and not let my day slip away at the beach.

1. To kick things off, over at The Man Page I shared a little insight into my trip down to Miami with observations from seat 34B. Fortunately I have a window seat booked for the return flight.

2. When I mentioned that I was heading to Miami, 21st Century Dad chimed in with a few helpful tips about traveling from the airport to my hotel; as well as a few restaurant recommendations for the area. After walking around a bit last night, I can appreciate how 21st Century Dad has gone against the conventional wisdom and downsized to one car.

3. Over at My Money Blog, you will find an interview with someone from the Miami area that has been running a profitable business that requires a unique talent. Check out this interview with Irina Patterson to learn more about the unique talent and how it has become a booming business.

4. Jeremy from Discovering Dad has done a bit of traveling and includes Miami Beach, Florida among his list of favorite family vacation spots. While it would be nice to have my wife and kids with me on this trip, we will be skipping out of town soon enough to pay a visit to the #1 spot on Jeremy’s list.

5. To round out the Miami inspiration and appeal to the sports nuts in the crowd, Michael “Kwanye” Kwan has been providing weekly NFL predictions over at his blog, Beyond the Rhetoric. When my favorite team, Da Bears, won the Super Bowl, the only blemish on their record came from the Miami Dolphins. In Week 2 of this NFL season, Miami was steamrolled by the Arizona Cardinals.

If you’re in the Miami area, give me a shout and maybe we can meet for a coffee or something before I skip town. If you’re not in the Miami area, I encourage you to read the posts above to get a feel for what the area has to offer and stop by for a visit of your own when you have a chance.

Michael Kwan September 15, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Unfortunately, it seems like my NFL picks are only pulling about even thus far. There were a few surprises this week for sure.

Michael Kwans last blog post..Grammar 101: Understanding Colons and Semicolons

Greg September 15, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time in Miami last year. I didn’t want to leave at all. You’ll definitely enjoy yourself!

Gregs last blog post..Breaking News: Our Cell Phones Have Been Stolen!

derek September 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Unfortunately I didn’t get to explore the city too much as my schedule was pretty full. Overall, I was not impressed as many parts seemed to be run down but the atmosphere of being right on the beachfront was fantastic.

Ling September 15, 2008 at 11:51 pm

Hope you’re having fun, Derek. Love to see you pics and hear what you did in Miami after you get back.

derek September 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm

I didn’t get any pics, although I did grab a quick video of the view from my room which I am uploading right now and will be posting shortly.

Bob September 16, 2008 at 6:28 am

Atlanta over Tampa bay? E Graham is the man..but so is Michael Turner

Nicole Price September 16, 2008 at 7:04 am

The balloon lady interview is mind blowing. What a story and interview. Thank you Derek for this very interesting link.

Nicole Prices last blog post..Top TV Shows of All Time

Jeremy (Discovering Dad) September 16, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for the call out man. I love Miami – wish it was closer to where I live. Fun times!

Jeremy (Discovering Dad)s last blog post..Discovering Dad is New Member of 9Rules Network

derek September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Since I was there for business, I didn’t get much opportunity to explore – although that doesn’t mean I didn’t have a lot of fun.

Paula from Affiliate Blog Online September 17, 2008 at 6:14 am

I spent some time in Miami during one of the recent Affiliate Summits. Pretty much saw the hotel we were staying in and a bit of downtown but that’s it. Unfortunately we never got to see anything really interesting but I guess there is always the next time.

Paula from Affiliate Blog Onlines last blog post..How to Get Others to Write Articles for you

Jon September 18, 2008 at 8:22 am

You haven’t experienced Miami until you’ve experienced their beaches!

Terry September 17, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I dont think my Detroit Lions will win one game this year!!!

Terrys last blog post..Pay Per Click (PPC) vs. Organic Search: Which method is Best?

derek September 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I think you’re right! ;)

Steve September 18, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I need to study the NFL predictions, having just been roped into a weekly competition at work.

Am going to the Wembley game later in the year too!

Nick September 25, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Hey, that was a pretty good way to pick posts for the speedlinking, I never would have though that you could quickly and easily find that many posts relating to one particular place…..coincidence?

Nicks last blog post..I’m making progress, eventually I’ll be caught up.

Elliott - 21st Century Dad September 30, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for the shout-out. Lincoln Road is one of the best people-watching venues ever.

I agree that Miami is kind of “eh.” That’s why I live in Fort Lauderdale and I avoid crossing the county line unless it’s absolutely necessary. Miami Beach has a unique charm though.

Miami Florida October 25, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Well i am a big miami fan too. This is a really incredible city and i wish i could live there…

Comments on this entry are closed.