Speedlinking – Social Media In Business

by derek on November 17, 2008 · 16 comments

Not too long ago, we talked about how certain corporations are embracing social media – which unfortunately does not include the company that currently supplies me with an income.

Social media in the context of business has been on the minds of many lately, as you will see in the handful of posts included in this edition of Speedlinking. While I continue to plot my strategy to introduce my employer to the possibilities of social media, take a look at the following posts.

1. Chris Brogan introduces us to Bob, an employee of a Fortune 500 company, and tells us a story about how Bob was told to shut up – you’re helping the customer. As I read the next chapter about Bob, I could not help but see numerous similarities between Bob and myself. Good luck Bob!

2. Frank Reed shared some insight from a session at PubCon that has turned him into a social media believer. Frank shares five bullet points that explain the reason that many that try their hand at social media, fail. Reading these points, I cannot help but think of the post from Shana that I mentioned last week.

3. Teresa Morrow, one of my fellow Sparkpluggers, gives some food for thought to those of us that are using social media with 10 things to remember when promoting your business. Again there is a common theme that comes through, focus on building a genuine relationship with people and let the rest fall into place naturally.

4. Terry Starbucker, who I had the privilege of meeting at SOBCon, is someone that understands social media. With that understanding, Terry gives us a view of social media from the inside and discusses a few of the questions his company is answering to determine if social media is right for them.

5. Over at The Lonely Marketer, Patrick Schaber shares a true story about a chair that demonstrates the idea that social media may not always be the appropriate vehicle, but that listening to your employees, as well as your customers, is essential for success. As much as we might all like to apply technology as the solution, sometimes the most basic of elements is all that is really needed.

Ling November 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Love the article about the chair. Its true that technolgy has reduced face to face interaction. You can’t really get to know and understand people, unless you take away their gizmos and gadgets. End of the day, there’s nothing can replace the simple handshake.

derek November 18, 2008 at 9:13 am

Speaking of taking away gadgets, I was reading an article the other day about Obama having to give up his BlackBerry. In the piece, it said that during meetings they had a rule that everyone had to put their phones on a table to avoid people getting distracted.

Andrea November 20, 2008 at 8:30 am

I could never give up my iphone. that would be next to impossible.

we (well I) have a rule in the house that nobody can bring their phones to the table when we all sit down to eat. We all are some texting fools.

Terry Starbucker November 18, 2008 at 8:16 am

Hi Derek – Thanks for the link! It was great to meet you at SOBCon, and I appreciate your kind words on my Social Media post. I hope your readers find it useful.

See you in Chicago in May!

Regards,
Terry

derek November 18, 2008 at 9:16 am

I’m here all year and am planning to be at SOBCon again so I look forward to it.

As for the post, I truly enjoyed it. While it might not be right for your company at this point, I think it is great that you guys have recognized the need to perform due diligence.

Nicole Price November 18, 2008 at 9:09 am

Terry Starbucker’s post is very instructive. Good insights indeed. Thank you.

Nicole Prices last blog post..The Best Recipe Sites

derek November 18, 2008 at 9:16 am

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it Nicole!

Steve November 18, 2008 at 6:17 pm

I agree Nicole. As it should be, the first item in the list is the key one.

Try to sell your business straight away and people will back off – sell yourself and gain their trust and they will be more likely to form a long term business relationship.

Open Innovation November 19, 2008 at 5:52 am

I agreed with your point. Social media can be a very useful regarding business.

Open Innovations last blog post..The incidence of gun violence and premature death among juvenile young men is a major health concern in need of systematic intervention in Orleans Parish, Louisiana.

Nick November 20, 2008 at 12:37 am

Wow, talk about a long post title!

Nicks last blog post..5 Things Meme

Andrea November 20, 2008 at 8:27 am

LOL I thought the same thing!

Justin November 19, 2008 at 6:39 pm

That Bob story was really interesting, and it is horrible of those companies to be completely resistant to the prospect of using social media, ESPECIALLY since Bob was doing well with it, and it was working! That story made me angry, and I hope Bob finds a new job where he can reach his full potential.

Justins last blog post..CM028 Airsoft Full Size Full Metal AK-47 Style Rifle

Sjs info November 20, 2008 at 1:05 am

Though social media has taken place of real time meetings, thus saving time & effort.But it has made us more laid back, as we now feel more convinient to interact with someone thorugh some way of media, until & unless meeting personally to somebody adds on to our earnings & results in some kind of profit to us.

Neil November 29, 2008 at 7:36 am

Great post. I think the advice is very good

Andrew Jacob December 4, 2008 at 4:18 am

Social media advertising is becoming more popular in home based business.

Peter Parker December 4, 2008 at 4:27 am

I really like speedlinking – always a great way to share or find something really useful. Speedlink Internet Solutions, Inc. today announced it has been selected to provide Internet connection services to Code Technologies, Inc. for its GuidePoint Systems telematics units -”location-specific” mobile Internet portals for consumer vehicles.

Comments on this entry are closed.