Speedlinking – The Art Of Photography

by derek on December 15, 2008 · 32 comments

After spending the evening turning the spare bedroom into a make-shift photo studio as I attempted to capture a handful of images for a product review that I am writing, it is only fitting that this edition of Speedlinking be dedicated to the art of photography.

In an effort to share a few new discoveries with all of you, I turned to Zuula Blog Search – which is a site that I learned about through my friend over at GrowMap and I enjoy more and more every day.

1. Smashing Magazine celebrates a collection of photographers that capture the life and culture of city streets with a look at the beauty of street photography. Prepare to lose yourself for quite some time, as there are links to each photographers’ websites and a collection of tutorials shared at the end of the article.

2. digital Photography School has a nice collection of tips on how to make the most of the art of travel of photography. While I don’t travel often at all, and when I do it is usually within a few hours drive from home, I find photographs of new locations and new cultures to be captivating.

3. With a long-standing goal of improving my photography skills, I found a handful of quality tips on Lifehacker in their ten cheap or free DIY photography projects. The tips that caught my eye were numbers four, two, and one. Now I could tell you what each of those were, but I think you’d get much more out if it you check out the entire post.

4. Many of you will recall that I am a huge fan of macro photography – which is why I thought this post on extreme macro photography on a budget was really cool. Now I am not sure that I am handy enough to attempt this, but the results are amazing.

5. Speaking of amazing macro shots – maybe I am being influenced by the fact that I am hungry right now – you should check out these 11 tips for great food photography. The best part about taking great food photographs is that you get to eat the food after taking the picture (did I mention that I was hungry?).

Ling December 16, 2008 at 1:48 am

About the Foodista blog, first – that’s a nice name, and second, if I was up close to food that looked so delicious, doubt if I’d have the patience to wait to take pictures. Good tips, too, especially about the steam, and wiping the edges, and the flash.

derek December 17, 2008 at 12:16 am

You and me both. Although I have to admit, some of the “finer” dining options are not really my thing as I prefer the more casual meal – you know, where there is more than a small ball of $80 something or other and a huge empty plate.

Neil December 16, 2008 at 3:00 am

Great links derek, I have never been into the actual taking of photographs but I love looking at other peoples work and it amazes me how they manage to get the light looking so fantastic.

derek December 17, 2008 at 12:17 am

Lighting has been one of my biggest hurdles in learning how to take better pictures. I’m still not all that good but I do enjoy taking pictures.

Nick December 18, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I hear ya, it seems the lighthing is the hardest part, either I never have enough or it’s too bright…perhaps getting a bit nicer camera will help with this dilemma.

Nicks last blog post..Sunday Snapshots – 010

Blog Expert December 16, 2008 at 10:50 am

I really enjoy photography. Digital photography is definitely my favorite and my favorite web site is Digital photography school. Great post.

derek December 17, 2008 at 12:18 am

Thanks, not only does Darren Rowse run an outstanding site on blogging but he also runs dPS, which is a great resource for photographers.

bigmir.net December 16, 2008 at 4:36 pm

thanks for the links, i like digital photography, i read the digitalphotographyschool.com/blog too, some good tips and interesting things you can find there

bigmir.nets last blog post..????????? ? ????????? ??????????? ???? ????

Steve December 16, 2008 at 5:12 pm

hi Derek,
I assume that you’ll post the pictures you took at some point? I’ve tried to take “product pictures” and it’s taught me the utmost respect for (good) photographers. To me, photography is more art than science, especially getting the lighting right.
~ Steve, aka the camera-clueless trade show guru

Steves last blog post..Recycle CFL light bulbs at Home Depot

derek December 17, 2008 at 12:19 am

You can see my pictures, as well as the entire product review, over at the FutureLooks site.

TOM BIHN Checkpoint Flyer Review @ FutureLooks.com

Steve December 17, 2008 at 9:16 pm

hey Derek,
I looked at your review. Nice pics, especially the open bag shots and the clamp close-up. Also read your final thoughts, and you have a good way of pointing out both pros and cons so as to sound like a fair, thorough, and unbiased review. Nice.
~ Steve, aka the didn’t-get-the-Canadian-Club-schwag trade show guru :(

Steves last blog post..The Ultimate Christmas Gift

Khaled December 16, 2008 at 5:39 pm

There are some great links you have provided cheers. I also do quite a bit of macro photography for my wifes website and use a tamron 90mm macro, which isn’t a bad lens for my Nikon and far exceeds my ability.

derek December 17, 2008 at 12:20 am

I’ve had my eye on a Canon 500D filter to use for macro shots, although have also heard good things about the Tamron lenses.

Nicole Price December 17, 2008 at 6:03 am

I have commented on this before. My exposure to photography is strictly aim and shoot and nothing to write home about. I however enjoy seeing good photography but do not understand the jargon!

Nicole Prices last blog post..Festive Gifts (Part II)

Nick December 18, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Perhaps you should do some reasearch/studying and learn the jargon :)

Nicks last blog post..Sunday Snapshots – 010

Andrea December 18, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Where is the fun in that? :p

Ana-Dubai Gallery January 20, 2009 at 2:46 am

11 tips for food photography are great,I went hungry while I was browsing the page. I can’t stop from craving,I wanted to try food photography I guess it’s harder because you can instruct food to do a pose, you have to do good to put some life to it, make it beautiful and delicious.

Free photography sites March 5, 2009 at 2:38 pm

That is some of the better free sites i seen listed. I like the macro site alot and travel photography site is also good.

Free photography sitess last blog post..photo taking tips and tutorials

Erick from Photocrati Photography Blog May 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm

This is a refreshingly different set of links than usually appear on photography links blog posts. Nice to see.

Erick from Photocrati Photography Blogs last blog post..Gotchas in Lightroom B&W conversions

myphotographer July 13, 2009 at 6:12 am

Awesome tips. Will definitely try them next time I shoot some food pics, hmmmm, I’m hungry now, perhaps it’s a good time to kill two birds with one stone?
.-= myphotographer´s last blog ..Cape Town Food Photographer – Confectionery Sweets Cakes Photos =-.

abdu digital work May 3, 2010 at 3:40 pm

wow i love your article,
great job.
.-= abdu digital work hopes you will read… STREET FASHION SUPERMODELS FEMALE PHOTOGRAPHY =-.

Stan May 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Nice set of digital photography links.

I’m a fan of Digital Photography School and an aspiring close-up amateur food photographer. Thinking about the Tamron 90mm macro lens for my next lens investment.

Did you ever pickup the Canon 500D filter?

derek May 9, 2010 at 9:35 am

I have not picked one up. When I visited the local camera shop, they didn’t have one and I opted to go with a set of step up filters that they had. They didn’t work quite as well as I had hoped, but I have not looped back to find one of the Canon 500D filters.

Barnsley Wedding Photographer Mark Pearson Photography March 10, 2011 at 3:34 am

I remember way back when when I was doing the exact same thing, setting up studios in the front room or a bedroom. Now I have a studio but sometimes still pine for the good ole days :o)

When I first started doing Macro, I went out and spent all the money to buy the best bits of kit I could. Years later, I’ve found standard household objects can often do the same, if not a better job, than the latest gadget and gizmo often saving hundreds of bucks.

Randy the Sacramento Wedding Photographer March 22, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I’m kind of a macro nut too. But my new mindset: landscapes. I need to work on my landscapes. I’ve got some good ones, but I need to expand my horizons a bit. Nice post.

Simon April 22, 2011 at 7:57 am

Nice article. The food photography link was interesting… not something I have read about before. Very hard to read without a snack though :D

Neal Morgan May 13, 2011 at 2:50 am

Hi Derek, thanks for posting, i hadn’t heard of dPS, what a great recourse that turned out to be.
Gratitude :)

Tom June 22, 2011 at 11:46 am

Great article Derek,it’s very helpful! Thanks for the tips :D

rod December 14, 2011 at 5:28 am

I’m a wedding photographer and still got some useful tips from this so thanks Derek!

Rod

Emi May 2, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Thanks for the list. Even thought I don’t specialized in those, but I’m a big fan of street and travel photography.

baguio photographers October 29, 2012 at 5:53 am

I am a photographer from the Philippines and I’m still learning a lot of things. Thanks for those wonderful collections you gave.

Chris Bottrell Photography September 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Great post derek, love your style keep up the good work.

Comments on this entry are closed.