Speedlinking – 2009 Predictions

by derek on December 22, 2008 · 14 comments

It is hard to believe but 2008 is quickly winding down and people have already started to look forward to what the new year has in store. There is a saying that nothing in this world is certain except for death and taxes, although one could certainly make a case that unrealistic New Year’s Resolutions and predictions for the coming year should be added to that list.

As the year comes to a close, it can be fun to look into your crystal ball and try to predict how things will shake out. As a matter of fact, one of the links below includes one such prediction from yours truly.

1. Jim Kukral sent out a note to some friends asking them about their 2009 social media predictions and what the coming year will bring for blogging and social media. Hint: You will find my prediction here – let me know what you think.

2. Peter Kim brought together fourteen great minds (almost as great as those in Jim’s post, lol) to share their thoughts on social media in 2009. Be sure to check out the PDF with the more detailed thoughts and predictions.

3. Over at Junta42, you’ll find another collection of people that have polished up the crystal ball to share their social media and content marketing predictions. Check out how these predictions compare to those above.

4. Peter Young shared a guest post at Marketing Pilgrim that asks whether or not 2009 will be the year that mobile marketing goes mainstream. As someone that just picked up a new G1, I am quickly embracing (and enjoying) the more capable phone and can see the possibilities that lie ahead.

5. In my prediction, I noted 2008 was the year of the video post and 2009 would hold more community interaction. That ties in well with Chris Brogan and his thoughts on why you need to be thinking about YouTube in 2009.

Once you have had a chance to digest this collection of predictions, I’d love to hear your predictions in the comments. Share your predictions on what 2009 will bring in terms of blogging, social media, or whatever you want to discuss.

Suburban Oblivion December 22, 2008 at 6:59 pm

I predict 2009 will bring a certain tech blogger stateside, and he and a certain mommy-blogger turn general blogger will set the blogging world on fire. Or at least get some entertaining gossip going ;)

Suburban Oblivions last blog post..For You Twilight Fans

Nick December 22, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Hmmm, gossip can be good for links, pageviews, and subscribers :)

Nicks last blog post..Violent Video Games and Violent Behavior – Correlation: Not Cause and Effect

derek December 22, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Having met said tech blogger and mommy-turned-general blogger, I think that prediction is a pretty sure thing! ;)

Nick December 22, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I predict that your prediction will in fact come true. I kinda hope you’re right about companies beginning to embrace social media and along with that, that I can be in the right place at the right time to get a job doing this :)

derek December 22, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Here is to both of us, as well as the other talented people that desire the same, being in the right place at the right time.

Niche Titans December 22, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I predict there will be a lot of angry webmasters who’s PR goes down at the next update, who will be flooding DigitalPoint and other forums whining about the great injustice that has been done to them…. just a guess. =)

Niche Titanss last blog post..General Marketing vs Niche Marketing

Ling December 22, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Agree with you that 2009 will be all about community interaction. Personally, I think twitter news is going to go ballistic next year. Twitter has started to beat even the BBC and the New York Times, for speed.

John December 22, 2008 at 11:54 pm

I think you are absolutely right about the social media.

I see no chance for the mobile marketing next year. Maybe 2012 will be the year.

Jessica W December 23, 2008 at 2:02 am

Well i agree with your prediction that you have made on Jim’s blog. Socializing has already entered the door with big steps, the next year will be the ultimate social.

Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

Neil December 23, 2008 at 10:27 am

I predict I might actually pull my finger out and start actually earning money from my websites. But who knows what will happen

Nicole Price December 23, 2008 at 10:42 am

I too predict that Corporate adoption of the social media will be stepped up but overall, I think that more general blogs will be around than marketing and affiliate marketing and how to blogs.

Nicole Prices last blog post..Tips to Save Money During the Holidays

wilson January 4, 2009 at 4:40 am

Honestly, I predicted that year 2009 would be the glorious year for all the online video entrepreneurs, especially the green entrepreneurs!

wilsons last blog post..Happy New Year 2009!

Kaiser January 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I predict that 2009 will be better than most people expect it to be. Atleast i hope it is because i’m tired of hearing all this bad news everytime i turn on CNN. The bottom for the U.S. economy has to be near. And once we hit bottom, we can only go up from there.

Agitationist January 9, 2009 at 9:51 pm

A few more predictions you might enjoy:

Agitationists last blog post..CSS Grid Design Made Easy

Comments on this entry are closed.