From One Generation To The Next

by derek on July 6, 2012 · 49 comments

For those that have read my fatherhood book, which happens to be an Amazon best seller, you will know that one of the things that I enjoy most about being a dad is finding ways to spend time with my two boys.

As they have gotten older, our adventures have changed but I feel it is essential to continue to find different ways to connect with each of them. And now that my oldest is only a few short years away from driving age (damn that is a scary realization), what better way to bond than, as Bob Barker would have said…

A brand new car!

Well, maybe not a brand new car – as you will see shortly – but a car that we can enjoy together.

Growing up I never really thought about cars much, other than begging my parents to borrow theirs once I turned 16 and wanted to head out with my buddies. But as I finished up college, and now have two kids of my own, I look back and wish that my dad and I had shared a bond over cars.

Out in the hot, dusty garage with the hood popped open. Learning about tools (and life), and how no job would be complete until you skinned at least one knuckle.

The Choice Is Theirs

From the time I tried my damnedest to convince my dad to let me buy a 1972 Olds Cutlass when I was 16, I have wanted to own a classic car. Not a show car though, but rather a car that could be an every day driver. One that needs work, and one that I won’t blow a gasket over if it gets a scratch.

The search was over when I found my 1950 Ford Custom.

Without question, some will look at it and turn their nose. Or ask me when I am going to fully restore the car to show quality. But that isn’t what I want.

For me, this car fit my desire to find a rat rod style cruiser that I can drive anywhere and everywhere I want, but at the same time have a laundry list of things to work on and customizations to make. By no means am I an extremely skilled mechanic, but having a good running car means I have an opportunity to learn and have fun.

Ideally, my two boys will see me working on the car and it will pique their interest enough to get greasy and help me. And maybe it will be something that they can then pass on to their kids, from one generation to the next.

But even if all they want to do is hop in the seat next to me and take it out for a joy ride, that is fine by me too!

With that all said, I hope you enjoy the eye candy as much as I do:

1950 Ford Custom Front View
1950 Ford Custom Back View
1950 Ford Custom Side View
1950 Ford Custom Profile View
1950 Ford Custom Inside View

Martin Cooney July 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Now that is one sweet looking ride, Derek. Reminds me of the old Holden’s we have here in Australia – classic treasures and worthy of restoring.

I gotta tell you though. My stepson is fast approaching driving age and the last thing that would be on his mind is getting dirty :)
He’s one of the video game age and finds any sort of manual labour to be something that someone else does hahaha

Best of luck with your boys though. It’ll be a great bonding experience.

derek July 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thanks Martin! My two boys love their video games as well, but they’re also willing to go outside and build things, work on their bikes, and get dirty.

We’re all enjoying it so far but haven’t spent too much time under the hood just yet.

Martin Cooney July 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Well, the more they get out there with you, the more habitual it is sure to become and that’ll be a great thing for your relationship with the boys.

I’m still eye’ing off that Ford :)

Sinema July 9, 2012 at 1:16 am

Waaow, I love it car…

Amy Elizabeth July 7, 2013 at 5:32 am

it is a great car! Because of the damp weather in the UK (and therefore rust) , we don’t see many cars of a similar age driving around over here :-(

Martin July 10, 2012 at 12:26 am

Pretty nice ride, I’d also love to have this kind of vintage car. Seems so classy and bold. ; )

eleni July 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Awesome article. In fact we must find ways to spend time with our children. This car is amazing and looks safe for the beginning. Well done.

Wedding Photography Edinburgh July 21, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Wow, this car is so cool. I love the gearbox handle and fantastic wheels. My husband used to have one like it when we met. I still remember the feeling when we were driving through the city and everybody was staring at us because the view of the car was so unusual. I wish you persevere in restoration work and you will take the car to the stage you want! I understand that it might not be an easy job. Good luck!

mathew July 26, 2012 at 12:19 am

I love old cars. Everyone i know goes straight to the new even if they know nothing about it. I dont know what it is but i just love them

Kate McGinnis July 26, 2012 at 4:33 am

Holy cow! Now THAT’S a car!

Niña July 26, 2012 at 5:44 am

Wow I love that vintage car.
It reminds me of my late grandpa.

Dave August 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

This car is old, but i love it!

markus August 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

A nice classic car. I admit I have never seen a gear shift like that before, that is really unique :) Thanks for posting the pics for us to see and admire.

Romeo Da Silva August 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

That one is a hot ride for sure. Years ago, all I was thinking of is how to get my son to the dentist (being a dentist in Fayetteville is not a golden ticket to get my son to my clinic lol) and now like you I should be thinking of a ride for him perhaps. Time sure flies fast…. and let’s get our boys riding nice wheels. Thanks for sharing Derek.

Atlante August 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

WOW!!! Congrats on the new/old school!!! It is an amazing ride–hope you have fun with it!!

Movies To Watch Tonight August 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Fantastic auto and love the detailing. I watch a lot of older movies and your car would fit right in. You should think about offering your car for drive ons in movies.

Alex August 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

This car is so old but it seems cool!!

Whitby & Durham Region Portrait Photography | Photo Street September 8, 2012 at 6:32 am

Sweet car and great story. Reminds me of my dad and his ’73 Plymouth Barracuda. It was such a special time growing up watching him work on that thing.

Susan September 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Awesome vintage car, Derek! I love it. My nephews are fast approaching driving age and my sister freaks out a little just thinking about it. lol Good luck to all of you, and stay safe.

Kind regards,
Susan

Jenny September 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm

That is a cool classic car. I am sure it will be adventurious for your boys to learn to drive on it. Wish you all the luck!

Miele September 10, 2012 at 4:50 am

That is one fine ride you have there. I’d be interested to know where you found it and how much you put into it.

Ted Hall September 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm

cool car! that’s one serious stick shift.

Security Posters September 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I remember riding with my Dad in a 1950 Chevy that had stick on the floor but nothing like this one. That is some car. The picture of the floor boards brings back memories. We had a large family and the car was big enough with room on the floor that my Dad built small wooden chairs for my brothers and sisters to sit on and he would load up the car with four in the front and four on the back bench and four kids on the floor. We would take my Aunt, Uncle and Grand Parents with us to the beach and sometimes to church. It was sure unsafe but a lot of fun. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

Leon September 21, 2012 at 4:22 am

Whoa, I love those pictures and I’m not even a huge fan of older automobiles. But the first picture I would print out and hang it on my living room wall…. the art looks absolutely great!

Jason September 22, 2012 at 10:39 am

Loved the pictures of the car Derek. Looks like a real classic.

- Jason

nicholas t October 18, 2012 at 7:23 am

Car looks amazing, the inside needs some work though. And i love the text on the back, ‘it’s effin finished’!

Ted October 18, 2012 at 10:40 am

That’s the car with attitude, love it!

Kristina Marchant October 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm

That car is awesome. The Baja California blanket on the seat is great. Love it.

fullyinformed October 21, 2012 at 10:36 am

I am really starting to show my age now. Your sweet ride is something I can actually recall! How sad is that.
The best thing about this car was the benches. The seats were so roomy and I remember my Dad was pretty proud of this baby. Thanks for the memories.

TylerYoung October 24, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Cool Car!
I did a similar project with my son when he was around 17. We fully restored a ’69 Nova SS. We really souped it up and had a great time together in the process.

David Mays November 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wow! thank you for a cool article and a glimps at a cool car.
I enjoyed seeing your ride very much.

Rob Mayer November 5, 2012 at 3:19 am

Yes Derek time is running fast! My son is already 22 years old, when I think of it it makes me cry!

I think it’s a great idea with the car thing to bound with your son, hopefully he will appreciate it.

Keep taking care of you son and have a nice day
Rob

home alarm systems phoenix November 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

That is a cool car! Nothing beats the classic american cars that were made for performance and to last. I love the giant stick shift that is like 3 feet long. I think with any restoration your bumper sticker sums it all up “Its Effin Finished”! Have fun and enjoy your new ride.

Dev November 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I must say it is a classic ride. I liked its exterior but I think it needs some interior work as well. Good luck Derek with your car.

Nemis P November 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Such an amazing car! Classic, well kept.

Jim Bennett November 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I love this rat rod! I think that gear shift is about the coolest thing I’ve ever seen! I also love that it’s a sedan, not a coupe. Sedans can rock too!

Rome_Jack November 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

Wow Derek, that ’50 is cherry! She’s sweet! Such a great idea on bonding with your boys over it. It should work. Me and my father bonded over a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado (in the late 80′s). “Restoring” it with him over the years taught me many valuable lessons like how to appreciate hard work. Great post! Keep up the awesome work!
-Jack

w.D. Milner December 10, 2012 at 9:14 am

Nice looking ride! Older cars have so much character. Sadly, most of today’s all look more or less the same – a curved plastic blob – in black, white or silver.

toledo wedding photographer December 17, 2012 at 6:59 am

I love old school cars, I’d love to do a photo shoot of a bride and groom in one of those. That would be a groovy wedding! :)

Smithie April 4, 2013 at 10:02 am

Ive always wanted an old school american car, they all have so much charm and character, ranging from those uber cool low riders to the hot rods. We never had this in the UK, we definately missed out on something special during those eras. An old corvette would be sweet!

Matt April 6, 2013 at 11:17 am

That’s really awesome. I’m 25 and me and my dad are kinda just now starting to work on cars together. He used to be a mechanic back in the day, but as a kid I was just more interested in other things. But now, I’m really wishing that I had spent this time with him from the beginning. The car looks amazing by the way.

james sahn May 18, 2013 at 10:23 am

I hope that the current generation doesn’t lose the pride that comes from things like learning how to fix a car. It gives you a tangible result to be proud of. Somehow “I scored top level on aliens attack” doesn’t seem like it would be as personally rewarding as driving around in your restored car!

C. Lee Reed June 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Two words…simply beautiful!

Nikko June 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Woah!sweet ride! I always wanted to have one of these classic cars. And in order to have one, I have to spend less this year.:(

Kel July 16, 2013 at 9:09 am

I am still yearning for an old Dodge Challenger! Unfortunately they are astronomical in price and I don’t know if I could ever afford one. The new ones are beautiful too, but there is just something about an old car…

Ryan Hunny July 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Fantastic ride and love the detailing. I watch a lot of older movies and your car would fit right in. You should think about offering your car for drive in movies.

Gerry August 20, 2013 at 3:57 am

Love the artwork on the car, it looks awesome… but that gear shift lever is insane. I’m not sure I could ever get used to driving with a gear change like that. How things have changed in car design (& comfort) in the past 60+ years.

Customs Connect October 7, 2013 at 8:11 am

Awesome car Derek! Looks like its in superb condition and that gearstick looks INSANE!

Dare November 13, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hi Derek,

There is nothing as gratifying as having a nice time with one’s family.

Nice car, but such car cannot be found in Nigeria. Infact, since I was born till now, I have not set my eyes on it.

Comments on this entry are closed.