WordPress 2.5 Available

by derek on March 30, 2008 · 13 comments

The WordPress team has released the latest version of the software and I have decided to jump right in and update this blog.
Check out the official announcement about WordPress 2.5 and start planning to update your own blog now.
So far things seem to be running pretty smooth, although I did encounter one issue during the upgrade. Before starting the process, I installed the Maintenance Mode plugin so anyone hitting the site during the upgrade wouldn’t be faced with a screen full of errors.
The plugin is supposed to still grant administrators full access to the admin console, however when it came time to run the database upgrade the admin session was not recognized and all I could see was the maintenance message. The workaround that I came up with was to log into phpMyAdmin and remove the Maintenance Mode plugin from the list of active plugins, thus giving me the access needed to run the upgrade.
Other than that minor snafu, I have a few updates to make because I had still been on an older version that had the widget plugin. Therefore I need to make a few updates to accommodate for the built-in widget support that has been available for awhile now.
In addition to that, the new version has made some significant changes to the interface and will take a little time to get used to everything. It does look pretty slick though and I am looking forward to getting more familiar with all of the new features included in v2.5.
While I continue to tweak the site to get everything back to normal, please let me know if you encounter any errors or strange behavior.

stephen March 30, 2008 at 1:22 am

2.5 rocks the cold hard universe. I so love it!
I didn’t run into any real issues because I updated ALL of the plugins before I pulled the trigger and overwrote the old files. Whole process on most of my sites took less than 5 minutes.
I really love the Media Gallery function and the fullscreen edit window.

derek March 30, 2008 at 1:28 am

Yeah, it really wasn’t bad and I do like the new feature where you can download and install a new version of a plugin (as long as it is in their plugin directory) with a single mouse click.
Since I had still been on an older version, I had to do some tweaking to get a few of the widgets back to the way they were, such as the Top Commentators, but all looks to be working good now.

Ling March 30, 2008 at 10:29 am

This might be a good chance to do the upgrade I’ve been postponing for a year. A frind of mine said upgrading or making changes might affect search rankings. I kinda got cold feet and haven’t upgraded at all. You think it matters?
Ling’s last blog post..Where Harry Met Sally

Nicole Price March 30, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I’ll head over and update right now. Hope I don’t run into any problems. I may not be able to sort it out as easily as you.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..Spring Break is Around the Corner…

derek March 30, 2008 at 4:15 pm

@Ling :: Not sure how you would impact your search rankings unless you changed your permalink structure or something. It had been awhile since I upgraded as well but it all went pretty smoothly.
@Nicole :: If you run into any problems, feel free to send me an email and I’ll do my best to help you out.

Maximillian Gunther March 31, 2008 at 12:50 am

Has anyone feel some significant benefit from v2.5? I’m not talking bout the features, it’s the real benefit. Does your productivity improves? I feel comfortable enough with v2.2.2. What I think interesting is the stat plugin, it reminds me when I’m still hosting at wordpress.
Maximillian Gunther’s last blog post..Generating Random Numbers to Test Worksheet Models in MS Excel 2007

Akhmad Guntar March 31, 2008 at 12:56 am

Just how can the upgrade affect search ranking (said ling)? Does anyone has experienced this kind of benefit?

Golf Equipment March 31, 2008 at 7:54 am

I observed on my blog that an update was available, but for the moment i prefer to not do anything, waiting to see more opinions about this version, advantages and disadvantages.

eBay Dropshipper April 1, 2008 at 10:32 am

I enjoyed the one-click plugin install the most from this upgrade.

James Mann April 2, 2008 at 4:20 am

I have had problems with plugins messing up my upgrades so I haven’t upgraded Wordpress for a while. Now I am a bit nervous to even bother.
I am really not sure if I want to lose everything I have done to this point.
I even had a problem with my backup for one of my gardening blogs and ended up going with an earlier backup.
James Mann’s last blog post..Switching From Commission Junction to eBay for my BANS sites.

Eva White April 4, 2008 at 8:02 am

I have updated to the new version, it’s little different so just taking time to adjust, otherwise it’s running smooth.
Eva White’s last blog post..The China-Tibet Conflict

Brewster April 5, 2008 at 3:22 pm

I’ve just upgraded – nice and easy with no problems at all.. Thanks for the heads-up about the Maintenance Mode plugin – I wish they would include something like this as part of the core.
Brewster’s last blog post..March Malarky

Living Off Dividends & Passive Income April 7, 2008 at 1:56 am

damn it, i just upgraded to 2.3 last month.
I guess i can wait another few months!
Living Off Dividends & Passive Income’s last blog post..How I Made $2,667 In Passive Income In March ?08