Day Of New Beginnings

by derek on April 15, 2008 · 20 comments

Today is a day of new beginnings – at least in my world on the Interweb.
Many of you are aware that I also author a blog within the eMoms at Home blog network that has been focused on issues related to work-life balance from a dad’s perspective.
It has been a process in the works for some time now but today the rebranding of eMoms has officially taken place and is now known as Sparkplugging – Thinking Big in the New Work-At-Home Generation.
Part of the rebranding of the eMoms network as a whole included the renaming of my blog, formerly known as Dad Balance, to the new name of The Man Page.
Please head on over and share your feedback on the new name and the new theme – the results are mixed thus far so I am very interested in your thoughts.
In the event that relaunching a blog with a new name isn’t exciting enough for one day, my new Apple MacBook arrived today and this is the first post from the MacBook.
Being a lifelong Windows user, I am trying my best to adjust to the Mac and overall things are going pretty well. I’ve now typed “v” more times than I care to admit as my fingers instinctively move to the location of the “Ctrl” key while trying to perform a copy/paste action and instead I enter “fn+v” which simply types the letter.
The trackpad is also taking some time to get use to as I traditionally prefer a mouse over the trackpad. The finger gestures, such as scrolling with two fingers on the trackpad, are pretty cool but I need to get a mouse.
Overall I am enjoying my foray into the world of Apple and was up to speed and connected to my wireless network in no time at all. As I work on the MacBook more often, I will surely learn more and become more comfortable with the environment.
In the meantime, I am enjoying the ability to explore new tools and programs while also facing the challenge of relaunching a blog with a new name.

Kelvin Kao April 15, 2008 at 9:55 pm

I haven’t used a mac for a while, but as for keyboard configurations, sometimes the backslash is something that throws me off. I have a keyboard where the backslash is right next to my right SHIFT key, making SHIFT smaller and a mirrored L shape ENTER, and another keyboard that has backslash right next to the right bracket, right between BACKSPACE and the right SHIFT. Before I got used to both configurations, that used to throw me off.
The trackpad is pretty cool.
Kelvin Kao’s last blog post..Akismet is really annoying me right now (Edit: Not anymore!)

derek April 15, 2008 at 9:58 pm

The DELETE key is a BACKSPACE key, lol. That was one difference that I was aware of beforehand though so I was prepared for that.

Furniture Store April 15, 2008 at 11:04 pm

I have never used a Mac and i dont think i would ever venture out of my Windows comfort zone, but since you have, has it been hard to adjust? Are the differences many and difficult to get used to?

Lilly April 16, 2008 at 5:11 am

I love my MacBook. I have it since 6 months and i dont wanne give it back. I love it ๐Ÿ™‚

filme April 16, 2008 at 5:35 am

I really want to get a MacBook. I have been a Windows user my whole life and must admit i am jealous of the styling and functionality of the MacBook.

Home Recording Studio April 16, 2008 at 10:38 am

Derek, please give me a little time to visit your new site and offer my comments.
In the meanwhile however, congratulations on your Mac. Once you get used to the new way of doing things, you will wonder why it took you so long to shift to a Mac! I guarantee you that.

Steve Elliott April 16, 2008 at 11:14 am

What I love about us men is that we take a cursory glance at the new site and move rapidly on the gadgets – Macbooks look the business but I’ve never seen one in action for my sins.
Heading off to the new site now ๐Ÿ™‚

Futon-Matt April 16, 2008 at 11:24 am

I used to use a Mac at work, but I still prefer my PC

Keurig Coffee Maker April 16, 2008 at 12:41 pm

I’ve never used a Mac except for a little gaming on my friends machine. I guess computers can get frustrating at times and it’s good to stick with what you know!

Joe Cheray April 16, 2008 at 5:07 pm

I will be content with my Windows PC I love my wireless keyboard and mouse and my bitchin’ speakers.
oh and my web cam finally works with this thing

Get Camping April 16, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Cool to see your off on your way now with your new mac, you’ve sacrificied enough to get the new one ๐Ÿ˜‰ hope the car bills were not too high.
Sparkplugging look pretty cool, I think the theme is maybe a bit too bland, the colors are slightly boring but the content and layout look great. That is my humble opinion though, the content is what counts.
Get Camping’s last blog post..Thermarest Air Mattress

Asia'h Epperson April 16, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Congrats on your rebranding of The Man Page.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Will You Blog If You Canโ€™t Write

Ling April 16, 2008 at 10:24 pm

I need to use the mouse too. I tried to use the touchpad or whatever you call it, but I just can’t seem to get used to it.
As for the new blog, looks good. Interesting post, about applying the snowball method to improve yourself as a man, husband and father.
Ling’s last blog post..Above 60 Bar & 60 Thompson Hotel, SoHo New York

Nicole Price April 18, 2008 at 3:25 am

Do all the usual software we are used to working with on Windows work on Mac as well? What is the alternative for MS Office? Never used a Mac before but am considering it for my new laptop purchase.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..eBooks – Another Way to go Green!

derek April 18, 2008 at 10:40 am

You can get Office for the Mac, although on my home PC I have been using OpenOffice.org and that is also available for the Mac.
For the most part, I believe many of the apps you use on the PC will be available – or have something very similar – on the Mac.

Nicole Price April 18, 2008 at 3:29 am

Also, read your article on The Man Page. Really interesting read. If only all men were to follow your advice. And I think The Man Page sounds better than Dad Balance.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..eBooks – Another Way to go Green!

Simon Raybould April 21, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I got a macbook only very recently because I wanted/needed to use Keynote (rather than PowerPoint) – crucial for me because I’m a presentation skills trainer and PowerPoint is so far off the mark these days it’s embarrassing.
Making the change wasn’t hard at all for me though, ‘cos I’m already a Linux user.
After only a couple of months I’m completely sold!
S

Simon Raybould April 21, 2008 at 2:02 pm

PS Open office works on all three OS, so I’d heartily recommend it

Ted Martin April 27, 2008 at 4:44 pm

What gets really odd is if you use VMware or Parallels. Out of the box, you need to/can use the windows bindings and key shortcuts. However, it will also correct for you if you use the mac ones if the helper software is installed. I find that I use the windows shortcuts if windows is full screen, and the mac ones if not…

guidox July 18, 2008 at 10:21 am

I havenโ€™t used a mac for a while. I had alyways prblems with it. but i must say, no pc had a long life by me
guidoxs last blog post..Blazer – ein Muss in jedem Kleiderschrank