Speedlinking – Twittermania

by derek on April 21, 2008 · 12 comments

After initially resisting the wave of people signing up with twitter, I recently took the plunge and now understand why so many people have been talking about it.
Once I signed up, one of the first things that I did (after following quite a few familiar faces – it felt like I was the last person to sign up for twitter) was to send out a tweet asking for dads/husbands that wanted to be a part of The Ultimate List of Twitter Dads and Husbands.
In all of the excitement to learn more about twitter, I’ve also come across a handful of outstanding resources discussing the benefits of twitter and/or different things you should (or should not) do with twitter.
1. Nathania Johnson shared three ways to maximize your twitter time for networking, marketing and fun over at CopyBlogger. Since I am completely out of touch with the current times, I have to pay per text message and thus have not integrated my phone with twitter but I do believe the other two suggestions are essential to maximize your twitter time.
2. Over at Remarkablogger, AJ Vaynerchuk discusses 8 mistakes that bloggers make while using twitter. This is a great checklist to keep handy when you are getting started with twitter or even if you have been using it for awhile now. I’m still working my way through the list to avoid making these mistakes and highly recommend you do the same.
3. Chris Brogan, who I am looking forward to meeting at SOBCon in a few weeks, had a guest post at ProBlogger covering how to use twitter to promote your blog – or at least how he is using twitter to promote his blog. I’ve used twitterfeed to announce new blog posts but might have to change to the method that Chris mentions, as it seems much more community friendly.
4. Being a huge fan of the show The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, I always look forward to when he has The Elevator Pitch segment. As mentioned on Read Write Web, the elevator pitch has hit twitter and is known as the twitpitch. This is a really interesting idea and just scratches the surface of what we will likely see on twitter in the very near future.
5. Gary Jones recently explored the possibilities with twitter application development and released the Magic 8 Ball application. We’ll see how accurate the Magic 8 Ball is as I asked it if Gary would comment on this post and the answer was…no! πŸ™
While twitter has the potential to become very time consuming, hopefully the posts above have provided some insight on how you can get the most from the time you do spend tweeting. And if you are using twitter, be sure to…

Gary Jones :: BlueFur.com April 22, 2008 at 12:16 am

Thanks for the link love πŸ™‚
Gary Jones :: BlueFur.com’s last blog post..Great Gadgets: Asus M70 Notebook Computer

Mel T April 22, 2008 at 12:41 am

Hi Derek,
Thanks for this post. Twitter is still a bit of a mystery to me, so I really appreciate the links above.
Mel T’s last blog post..7 Reasons Why Good Lifestyle Choices Can Make You a Fabulous Writer

Kelvin Kao April 22, 2008 at 1:01 am

I haven’t used Twitter that much yet.
Well, following you now. =)
Kelvin Kao’s last blog post..Parody and Satire

Ling April 22, 2008 at 3:55 am

Been thinking about using Twitter, but I’m kinda conservative about new stuff. Usually never use anything unless I’m forced to.
Ling’s last blog post..Yurtin? in Big Sur

Home Recording Studio April 22, 2008 at 5:16 am

Derek, frankly, I am scared. I got so involved with a couple of social networks that my life became unmanageable. I simply do not want to get involved.

Futon-Matt April 22, 2008 at 5:33 am

I’ve heard a lot about twitter but never really got into using it. Maybe I’ll give it a second look.

Furniture Store April 22, 2008 at 10:30 am

Twitter is confusing to me, i heard how wonderful it was and i heard how easy it is to get carried away by it and not realize how much of your time it can consume. So that is a useful post for me; perhaps i shall now not be so confused πŸ™‚

Steve Elliott April 22, 2008 at 3:29 pm

This may help guys: Twitter FAQ

betshopboy April 23, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Getting on that list of Twitter dads and husbands sounds like fun.
The main gripe I have with Twitter is the time difference I’m facing as I’m living half way across the globe from most (if not all) people that I’m following.

Susie April 24, 2008 at 4:26 pm

I have been using twitter for a few weeks now and I think it is great. I never found that FAQ page though which was really useful, I found out some new things i can try with my blog that I have never thought to use before πŸ™‚ thanks

Nicole Price April 28, 2008 at 2:10 am

Twitter is something I have stayed away from too. Think its high time I give it a shot. Will check out the links you have provided. They sound interesting.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..The Best β€˜Money’ Songs Ever

Airsoft Guns May 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I’ve never heard of twitter until now, but I just checked it out and that is an interesting idea. All it is is answering the question, “What are you doing now?” I can easily see how this could be used to promote a blog, as you could say, “Writing on my blog *name* right now”.