The Birthday Booty

by derek on April 22, 2008 · 25 comments

Last week was my wife’s birthday and you might recall that I promised to come back and reveal the birthday booty.
No…not that kind of booty – that might be better served for Silent Pillow.
The kind of birthday booty that I am going to discuss here is the haul that my wife received on her birthday. As I had mentioned previously, I did use the savings from my MacBook purchase to use towards the gifts below.

Canon SD1000

For Christmas, my wife bought me a Nikon D40x to replace the old Canon Powershot S30 that we have had for years. Since she has no interest in using the Nikon, she has wanted her own ultra-compact digital camera.
After reading plenty of reviews and comparing the physical sizes of the cameras, I settled on the Canon SD1000. While it isn’t the latest model, it is the most compact, has stellar reviews, and provides exactly what she wants in a camera – the ability to point, shoot, and get a good picture.

Transcend 8GB SDHC Card

Anyone that has bought a digital camera knows that the memory card that comes with the camera is essentially worthless. Since I didn’t want to be sharing the SDHC cards that I am using with my Nikon, I found this 8GB SDHC card from Transcend for about $30 on Amazon.
After giving her this card, I quickly realized that I should have secretly kept this card for myself and given my wife one of the 2GB cards that I have right now. 😈

Lenmar DLC4L Battery

Similar to the need for a memory card, I always like to have at least one backup battery for the camera. That way you can swap out to a fresh battery once it is drained and you avoid having to wait for a time when you can charge the battery.
With our current Powershot S30, we initially resisted the purchase of a backup due to the cost of the Canon replacement batteries. However, this Lenmar battery is compatible with a wide variety of cameras, including the SD1000, and is a fraction of the cost at about $11 on Amazon.

The Busy Moms Make It Quick Cookbook

This purchase is straight from The Unofficial Guide to Buying Your Wife a Gift that I recently authored.
While it is an “unsexy” gift, my wife has wanted this book for some time and hasn’t been able to find it anywhere locally. When I found it at a bookstore on my way home from work one evening, I quickly snapped it up for my wife.
This is the gift that gives back as I will reap the rewards with some new cooked meals to add to my list of favorites.

Coral Pink Nintendo DS Lite

Both of our kids have a Nintendo DS Lite and it is quite common to see my wife curled up with one of their games. While I have never seen her hoard it from the kids, I thought it was time that she have her own and the kids really wanted to get her one as well.
Normally my wife is not a big fan of pink, girly things but I did know that she wanted the pink DS. This purchase hit a snafu as I ordered from Circuit City and went to pick it up 24 minutes later, unfortunately when I got there they had a red DS for me and couldn’t find a pink one in the store.
Since they didn’t have my purchase ready within 24 minutes, I did get the $24 gift card – which also went to my wife as a bonus gift.

Nintendo DS Lite Travel Kit

With a vacation planned to Walt Disney World later this year and an upcoming trip to Ohio, one accessory that was a “must have” was a travel kit.
This travel kit includes a variety of accessories, including a carry case, car charger, additional stylus, and game cases.
While I prefer the lunch box style cases that our kids have, this wasn’t for me so we went with something we thought would go over well. The pink accessories complement the pink DS and now she can game in style.

Super Collapse 3

Obviously a brand new Nintendo DS isn’t any fun without games. While our kids do have a decent selection of games, it isn’t quite the same without at least one game of your own.
My wife is a huge fan of puzzle type games and that made Super Collapse 3 a no-brainer selection. Since her birthday last week, this game has received quite the workout.
Unfortunately for my wife, she became stuck on a particular level and handed me the DS exclaiming the level was “impossible” to beat. Roughly 10 minutes later, I had passed the level and gloated that I solved it (maybe not the best idea) without too much trouble.

Brain Age

This game was more for me than it was for my wife, but she quickly became hooked once she began playing. Our kids have wanted this game for some time yet we never picked it up for them, which made them slightly jealous – although they have played it a fair amount as well.
For anyone not familiar with the DS, it can be rather strange to be sitting in a room with someone when they begin yelling out words – colors actually, RED…YELLOW…BLACK.

New Super Mario Bros.

How can you own a Nintendo product and not have a Super Mario game? That is almost as bad as putting ketchup on a hot dog.
Even though our kids already own a copy of this game, there has been more than one occasion where someone was playing and someone else wanted to play on their own. Therefore purchasing this game was a wise decision and has already paid dividends.

The Birthday Booty

There you have an overview of the birthday booty that my wife received this year. The gifts were all a big hit – as evidenced by the fact that she tore open all of the packages immediately, causing me to grab product images from Amazon rather than taking my own picture of everything.
Unfortunately I cannot pat myself on the back too long as Mother’s Day is quickly approaching!

Kelvin Kao April 22, 2008 at 11:06 pm

… What? I thought it was just one gift. I was like, you wrote a long post writing about one camera? And then I scrolled and saw a bunch of other things. I guess you should update the gift buying guide and say “buy more than one gift”!
Ah, great. Now you are going to have a harder time topping that next year. Congrats.
Kelvin Kao’s last blog post..Parody and Satire

Michael Kwan April 22, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Here’s a tip for your wife for Brain Age. For the game for saying the names of the colors, blue is actually pronounced brew. I’m not kidding.
Michael Kwan’s last blog post..Case Study: Twitter + StumbleUpon = Massive Traffic

Lisa April 29, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Get out of here…I would beat my head against the wall because it would almost never recognize it when I said blue.
Anyhow, great gifts! Someone made out like a bandit.

Jeremy (Discovering Dad) April 22, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Nice booty! The camera looks really cool. My wife got a new camera for her b-day too.
Jeremy (Discovering Dad)’s last blog post..Dos & Don’ts of Motivating Dad – Advice for Moms

derek April 22, 2008 at 11:43 pm

@Kelvin :: Lol, with more than one gift I can actually buy myself a pass if future gifts are a little lacking. I can say, “Hey, you remember your birthday when you got x, y, and z.” 🙂
@Michael :: I’ll have to pass that along, as I am not sure if it was blue or not but I do remember hearing “I said that!” when the game said she was wrong.
@Jeremy :: Cool, hope she is liking her new camera. So far my wife is loving hers, although I haven’t grabbed it yet to take any of my own pics or even seen hers.

Ling April 23, 2008 at 12:00 am

Your wife looks like a gaming fan. Kinda lucky that. You can buy gifts for her and ten sit around playing them yourself.. 🙂
Ling’s last blog post..Magic at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Asia'h Epperson April 23, 2008 at 12:36 am

Derek,
I guess your kids must be thinking that they will get the same quantity or more gifts on their birthday when they look at what you get for your wife.
Don’t disappoint them. 🙂
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Oppss… Your Comment Hurt

Get Camping April 23, 2008 at 3:50 am

Wow, your wife got spoiled. You make the rest of us guys look inadequate. Well me at least, very good choice of presents I always need hints leading up to my wifes birthday and then use her mum to help me out, very poor.
Get Camping’s last blog post..Coleman Powerchill Cooler

Home Recording Studio April 23, 2008 at 4:38 am

I am hoping and praying that my wife does not get to read this post.

Eiweiss April 23, 2008 at 6:09 am

Very nice blog with interesting articles. I will continue reading this blog in the future.

Daisy April 23, 2008 at 7:05 am

Wow, you sure know how to spoil a woman. Can’t wait to read what you’ve arranged for Mothers Day.

Futon-Matt April 23, 2008 at 7:32 am

That’s quite a haul.

Steve Elliott April 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm

That’s quite a bundle of stuff, she must be one special lady.
Unless you plan to use the pink DS Lite and start cooking of course?

Diane Meyer April 23, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Just read your birthday blog. All I can say is WOW!! Good for you Mr. Semmler. You have a very special LADY for your wife, she is very lucky too. But the thing I see the most in your blog, is all the LOVE between you and your wife. You seem like you have such a very loving family, you, your wife, and the boys. Like I said in an earlier comment, I think she is a very special LADY, very nice and kind.Someday I would really like to be able to meet all of you. I look forward to that. Thanks for the blog, sorry I got a little off the subject, but you all are really great and special people. God Bless all of you. Diane Meyer

Furniture Store April 23, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I love how you put together this birthday hamper. I have to make my husband read this post and drop some serious hints about upcoming mother’s day. And wish all of you many happy returns.

betshopboy April 23, 2008 at 8:16 pm

The “treasure trove” she received made me envious and jealous at the same time! LOL!
I’m quite surprise Mrs Semmler is also quite the gadget geek!
Buying her the cookbook was a brilliant and evil move by you Derek!

pauletet April 27, 2008 at 1:17 am

Your so nice. What makes you choose nintendo over PSP?

Nicole Price April 28, 2008 at 2:00 am

Wow, your wife seems to be a gadget lover. I was expecting things like clothes and jewelry before I began reading. In fact I thought at least one conventional gift will come up before the end of the post.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..The Best ‘Money’ Songs Ever

Nicole Price April 28, 2008 at 2:01 am

By the way, great stuff, all of it. And its great that you know exactly what she wants.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..The Best ‘Money’ Songs Ever

Airsoft Guns May 5, 2008 at 1:25 pm

I didn’t know moms liked to play video games. In any case, that is quite the haul she got there! I wish I had a Nintendo DS Lite…

My Nintendo DSi Console April 18, 2009 at 6:31 am

Great list of presents and as it happens I also bought my lovely wife one of the new Nintendo DSi consoles. Unfortunately she ‘had’ been hogging our sons DS Lite and you should have seen the delighted look on her face when she unwrapped it. In fact it was my son who was even more delighted… now he has his Nintendo DS to himself full time.

Sharon@Ruth Johnson October 20, 2009 at 4:50 am

The SD1200 has some big changes over its predecessor SD1100, and is the smallest, best designed Elph I’ve used thus far.
I’ve owned many models of Elph, this is my 6th or 7th, so my review is aimed especially at other serial Canon owners. I mostly compare the SD1200 to the SD1100.

Ben@whey eiweiß vergleich December 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm

nice blog theme, is it a free template ? whats the name of it ?

derek December 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Nope, not a free theme – it is my personal customization of the Thesis theme, which you can read more about here.