Plan For Tomorrow, Live For Today :: Six Word Memoir

by derek on April 29, 2008 · 26 comments

Shawn Knight recently tagged me to participate in a six word memoir meme.
After giving it some thought and consideration, I believe that I have come up with something that has taken me quite some time to learn but really has an influence on how I live my life.
Plan for tomorrow, live for today.
This memoir has required me to live to opposite extremes in order to find my way and appreciate the meaning for my life. While in college, I certainly lived for today but had no concept of planning for the future. Unfortunately that outlook resulted in my fair share of poor decisions and a hefty amount of consumer debt at graduation.
Once I learned that I needed to plan for my future, I moved to the opposite extreme and became very frugal with my money. Very frugal – I didn’t want to spend money on anything, as I was consumed with eliminating my debt and saving for an early retirement.
Now that I am a married man and have kids, I believe that I have learned a healthy balance of planning for tomorrow but also ensuring that I make the effort to enjoy today. While it is important to plan for a secure future, there are no guarantees on how many tomorrows we have so I don’t want today to pass me by while I wait for tomorrow.
Now it is your turn, here are the rules:

• Write your own six word memoir.
  • Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want.
  • Link to the person who tagged you in your post.
  • Tag at least five more blogs.
  • Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play.

The five people that I am going to tag are:

Michael Kwan April 29, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Nice post. I’ll have to give my six word memoir some thought.
Michael Kwan’s last blog post..John Chow Taunted at the Dollar Store

Justin Briggs April 30, 2008 at 3:06 am

Saying something useful in 6 words is hard, you did a great job, and this is a fun idea
Justin Briggs’s last blog post..Nashville SEO

hijinks April 30, 2008 at 3:27 am

Now you have me trying to think of mine. It’s a lot hard to come up with one than I thought!
hijinks’s last blog post..timeanddate.com

Home Recording Studio April 30, 2008 at 9:15 am

My memoir would simply be “Make a life not a living”.

Michael Kwan May 1, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Wow, that’s a good one. It mirrors the sentiments that I address in Why Life is a Song, Not a Race. Too often we chase success and forget to actually live life in the now.
Michael Kwan’s last blog post..Beyond the Call of Duty

Ling April 30, 2008 at 11:45 am

Duh! This sounds like fun. Bet this tagging mania is spreading like crazy on blogs. I mean, there’s no way you can refuse an invitation like that. Not that I’m asking for one, thank you. 🙂
Ling’s last blog post..Canary Hotel, Santa Barbara

Damien April 30, 2008 at 1:05 pm

That’s simple and great. Since I’ve been reading Eckhart Tolle lately I would make one with “Live in the now …etc.” and you covered that one! I like an exercise that gets you questioning your mission in life.
Damien’s last blog post..Stop The Criticism, Inspire Your Children

Nicole Price April 30, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for the tag. Will try to think up something nice.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..Freebies Galore?

Steve Elliott April 30, 2008 at 4:34 pm

“Enthusiasm is the engine of success”
It’s not my own quote but sums up my experience of SEO over the last six months. I have what I’d describe as a “hobby site” based around referral marketing.
Not everyone’s cup of tea but I am proud of the fact that I published the site myself and have gone through a tortuous process of trial and error on SEO.
Lo and behold, I happened to check today and I have hit the heady heights of PR4. Maybe not much to shout about but I am an accountant, not a techie or web master, so am over the moon.
As for living my life, I am most definitely a live for today person.

Asia'h Epperson May 4, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Very nice quote. I like it and agreed with you that enthusiasm is really the basis of all.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Asia’h Epperson Going For Vacation

Portland House Cleaners April 30, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Very nice post on Memoirs

Airsoft Guns April 30, 2008 at 7:56 pm

I plan for tomorrow much more than I live for today. Once you realize that time is an unstoppable, extremely fast entity, you realize the insignificance of one day. Yet, I still try to live each day to the fullest, but it’s depressing knowing everything passes so quickly.

derek April 30, 2008 at 11:11 pm

@Michael :: Thanks, looking forward to your memoir.
@Justin :: Thanks for the feedback, feel free to continue the meme on your own site and tag more people. Keep it spreading.
@hijinks :: Good luck. 🙂
@HRS :: Very nice one!
@Ling :: Thanks, I thought of tagging you but figured it really didn’t fit in with your site.
@Damien :: Appreciate the feedback.
@Nicole :: You’re welcome, looking forward to what you come up with.
@Steve :: Nice memoir, and congratulations on the PR ranking as well as all of the other accomplishments!
@PHC :: Thanks.
@AG :: Time does pass by rather quickly, which is why we need to make an effort to enjoy each and every moment as much as possible.

Steve Elliott May 1, 2008 at 1:18 am

Thanks Derek. I should of course acknowledge the link lurve that you and others have provided to assist in the process 🙂

Jenna May 1, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Neat idea… I’ll have to give mine some thought! Just six words is pretty tough!
Jenna’s last blog post..Internet Dependency (Part 2/2)

Bapes May 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Nice post and great idea. I have my own 6 word memoir which somes up my outlook on life. Fell FRee to use it.
” Love to Live, Live to Love!”
Thanks

Eva White May 5, 2008 at 5:28 am

Nice post. Six words is a little too less but it’s not impossible to find something nice. I’ll think about it and let you know.
Eva White’s last blog post..Celebrity Buzz?.

Furniture Store May 5, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Hey that challenges me: a six word tag line that i live my life by? Going to give it some thought.

Furniture Store May 5, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Thought of one right after i hit ‘add comment’: “Expect the worst, things always turn out better” i know that is not just six words, but i could not quite condense it and this really is my motto in life!

Eva White May 10, 2008 at 6:15 am

Words of wisdom are useless unless acted on.
Eva White’s last blog post..25th of May : Contentismissing @ Angelklub HH

Nicole Price May 14, 2008 at 7:37 am

Hey I finally have my six word memoir put up. Check it out. Thanks.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..The Six Word Memoir

derek May 14, 2008 at 7:40 am

I was just heading over there to check it out, thanks for the heads up!