GoDaddy…No Really, Go :: Saving Money On Domains

by derek on April 30, 2008 · 25 comments

The beautiful thing with blogging – or even just online business in general – is the relatively low startup costs. With the purchase of a domain and a hosting account you can have a business up and running in a matter of hours.
Not too long ago, we talked about how to save money with your hosting provider. In an effort to provide even more savings, I offered a discount code for anyone that wanted to use my hosting provider, BlueFur.comsimply enter the code DerekSemmlerDotCom for a 10% discount.
With the hosting covered, what about the domain name?
When I registered my first domain name, I turned to GoDaddy. They were a well-known name to me and their prices weren’t too bad. However, I’ve since learned of cheaper alternatives such as 1and1.com and I have been moving my business away from GoDaddy.
Just to give you an idea of the cost savings that can be realized by switching where you register your domains, consider the following two renewal notices that I recently received.

GoDaddy Renewal

GoDaddy

This renewal from GoDaddy covers a two-year period at a total cost of $37.14. You’ll note that this also includes the private registration services, which I have used for all of my domains as I initially desired to remain anonymous way back when – guess that is over given the name of this blog.

1and1 Renewal

1and1.com

While this renewal from 1and1.com only covers one year, they include the private registration service at no additional cost for a total of $6.99 per year.
If this domain had been renewed for two years, the cost would have been $13.98 – a savings of more than $20 per domain!
You might be thinking that $20 isn’t that big of a deal; however, when you consider the number of domains that many people register this represents a significant savings.
As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been gradually moving all of my domain registrations over to 1and1.com in order to save money. Unfortunately, I haven’t moved all of them yet and I have paid the price.
The next time you want to register or renew a domain name, remember this advice and make sure that you are making the most economical choice. While the cost of doing business on the Interweb is very affordable, there is no sense in paying more than necessary.

RT Cunningham April 30, 2008 at 11:01 pm

I don’t have to renew any domains until next year, but I plan on switching from dotster.com — back when I started with them, they were one of the cheapest. Not anymore. Renewal for 2 years is like $30.
RT Cunningham’s last blog post..Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium (2007)

Dave May 1, 2008 at 12:39 am

I’ve started to move everything over from GoDaddy to NameCheap.com. It’s about $8.50 a year including private registration. I really like how their whole system, interface, and administration works. Although I think GoDaddy was the best with that, but not worth the price difference.
The private registration is what sold me.
Dave’s last blog post..Dodge Viper In The Reserved For Hybrids Parking Spot

Home Recording Studio May 1, 2008 at 5:48 am

In my case, it is as you say, ‘what does it matter?” as I have only two domains. Since the registrar has been quite nice about the whole transaction so far, why rock the boat?

Furniture Store May 1, 2008 at 8:01 am

Thanks for the advice, you are quite correct, when you have multiple domains those can add up to quite substantial savings.

Boston Web Design May 1, 2008 at 8:36 am

I was thinking of using 1and1 for domain services, but read this forum on Webhostingtalk and got a little nervous:
Any thoughts or comments on any of the issues noted about 1and1.
I have had problems with client sites hosted on 1and1, which makes me even more nervous.

derek May 1, 2008 at 11:10 am

Thanks for sharing that thread.
While I have been very happy with 1and1, I haven’t had to use their support at all. Maybe I would feel differently if I did but in all honesty, registering a domain and pointing it to my own DNS isn’t something that needs a lot of support.
One question I have is if these issues still apply in 2008, as the thread was from 2005. All of the domains that I have with them are listed in one page, one account and I didn’t do anything special to set them up like that.
In the end, I am sure you can still find plenty of people that would say they don’t like 1and1 – or any other service, not everyone will be happy with the same product.
As you noted about the hosting, I personally wouldn’t use 1and1 for my hosting as I don’t like to put my domains and hosting in the same basket. Plus I’ve found a host that I am REALLY happy with at BlueFur.

Futon-Matt May 1, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Those are some great savings, especially if you have multiple domains.

Andrea May 1, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Hey derek, this post reminds me that ive been wanting to have my own domain for my blog. Kinda what A Good Husband did with his blog. I have no idea where to start or even what to look for to start. Maybe you can help me out with that when you get a chance or some junk.
Andrea’s last blog post..Soon….

derek May 1, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Andrea, my schedule is shot this weekend as I am heading to a FuelMyBlog meetup tonight and then will be attending SOBCon through Sunday.
I offered some minimal assistance to Cory @ A Good Husband when he got his own domain so I would be happy to help you out as well.

John W. May 1, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I actually have 4 different registrars- Godaddy, 1and1, and the other 2 are smaller ones through an affiliate progrm I have been involved with for 8 years.
It really depends on what you are doing. Sometimes it might make sense to register one place and then transfer. I actually was late coming to godaddy. I have been using 1and1 since 2003. That was my 2nd registrar. I first used Godaddy in 2007.
Here is why I have been mostly using Godaddy- Bulk Pricing. ever since 1and1 raised their prices last time Godaddy has been cheaper for me with their bulk pricing and/or using their discount links and codes.
Discount pricing especially on .info domains. Has 1and1 offered 99 cent domains? or even 1.99-2.99? If they did I missed it. I stil have around 100 domains on 1and1 but now I have over 300 on godaddy. I picked up around 280 of those for 0.99-2.99. Even when they renew it will be at Bulk rates. I will check later, but I dont think it will be worth transferring then.
SOme good points though.
John W.’s last blog post..The Winner of worst Frozen burrito

Airsoft Guns May 1, 2008 at 2:38 pm

There have always been less expensive sites than GoDaddy. But because of the business’ brand image and reputation, people are willing to pay that extra dollar for a GoDaddy provided domain name.

Damien May 1, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for that rec. Derek. I thought GoDaddy was the cheapest out there, apparently not. I plan to get a new domain name going in the next year so I will check out that company.
Damien’s last blog post..Have You Been Inspired Lately?

Bapes May 1, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Thanks for the advise. There certainly are some great deals there. I might move all my domains over there once they are due for renewal. Thanks!

Ling May 2, 2008 at 1:44 am

I bought and registered a domain, including 2 months hosting charge, with Godaddy a few months back, for $10, and $3.99 per month starting from the third month. Worst thing is, I haven’t touched the darn domain after I bought it. I think I’ll be needing to renew it in about 6 months time. You think I should switch to someone else?
Ling’s last blog post..Cleveland and Our Planet

pauletet May 3, 2008 at 8:47 pm

I will remember that Derek:) Thanks for the advice.

iphone guy May 4, 2008 at 5:59 am

I am using Godaddy at the moment with the coupon codes to get a 10% discount on every domain.
However, even doing this does not make it cheaper than 1and1.com so thanks for the helpful piece of advice 🙂
John

Asia'h Epperson May 4, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I am currently using Namecheap and it looks like 1and1 is slightly cheaper.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Asia’h Epperson Going For Vacation

Eva White May 5, 2008 at 5:21 am

I have a registration with godaddy. But your details show a lot of saving with 1and1.com. I guess I will think before my next renewal.
Eva White’s last blog post..Celebrity Buzz?.

Nicole Price May 6, 2008 at 1:56 am

This is great. Thanks a ton. Truthfully, godaddy is so standard when it comes to booking domains that I never really bothered to check out any other sites. All my domains are booked with them. Will surely keep this in mind next time around.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..Freebies (Again?)

Cesar May 7, 2008 at 12:10 pm

That’s really great price for domain. I am now in “domain business” and the best price I can get to buy or renew domain name is about $7.99.
Cesar’s last blog post..Video – Discovery Channel: I Love The World

Eva White May 10, 2008 at 6:27 am

Wow thats some major savings on each website. Its well worth looking into.
Eva White’s last blog post..25th of May : Contentismissing @ Angelklub HH

Andy@Domain portfolio September 30, 2008 at 11:12 am

I’m using GoDaddy at the moment which seems cheep?

Andrea October 9, 2008 at 6:06 am

This “living in fear” shit is getting old.

Tim June 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

I’ve reached a point where I probably do spend enough on domain names (which largely remain unused) to benefit from the savings. Just curious, but what is the worst that can happen with a domain? Is there any benefit at all to spending more with a known company? Say if the registrar went belly-up, what could happen, as worst scenario?