Blogging For Money :: April 2008

by derek on May 7, 2008 · 26 comments

Last month the challenge was made to push through my previous all-time record in terms of earnings and surpass the $700 per month mark. The tallies are in and the numbers have been calculated.
Even though the Amazon affiliate program is not properly crediting my account for the commission on the sales that were made last month, I am extremely happy to say that I have surpassed my goal and exceeded $700 to set a new all-time high in terms of monthly earnings.
While some of my monetization experiments didn’t work out as anticipated, others have exceeded my expectations.

Dollars and Cents

As many of you know by now, my goal with these monthly recaps is to try and share with you what has worked or not worked for me. While every blog will be different, I think it is worthwhile to share this with everyone in the hopes that we can all learn and refine our process to earn even more.

Here is the Blogging For Money recap for April:

• $145.71
  • $159.00
  • $62.96
  • $0.00
  • $20.00
  • $762.26

Initially I really did not think that the earnings would surpass the $700 milestone, particularly when I saw the decrease in the Google AdSense earnings. In addition, Kontera had another disappointing month and it looks like they are on their last legs.
However, LinkWorth and TLA continue to be consistent performers and both had modest increases for the month.
The surprise for the month came in the form of the affiliate earnings. While not a huge amount, I would not have surpassed my goal without it.
As mentioned earlier, Amazon appears to be having some sort of issue recording the earnings that I should have had last month. Since I was the purchaser of the products, I know that they have been shipped and received yet Amazon still indicates that nothing has been shipped. I’ve sent off an email to them for clarification so hopefully that will get resolved.

Plans for May

The weather is beginning to warm up and I will soon be heading back to Las Vegas for another work conference.
Red Staple Media has been launched and the business cards have been a big hit. While this site is not intended to make me any money, I am using it as a central location to route people that ask about my blogs.
By surpassing my goal of $700 in blog earnings, I will bask in the glow of success for a brief moment and then set my sights on surpassing $800 in earnings. The first stepping stone towards $1000+ per month has been passed and I need to continue to build upon the momentum.
Be sure to subscribe today so you don’t miss any of the tips or recaps on my progress towards the next goal!

Dave May 7, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Congrats on the new record, $1,000 will come up sooner than you think!
Dave’s last blog post..University Of Maryland College Park Spring Car Meet 2008

Steve May 7, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Congrats, man. I’m attempting to follow a similar path myself, and have been having some great luck using the eBay affiliate program. Might want to check into it, the conversion rate is pretty rad. Good job staying so diversified, though!
Steve’s last blog post..Hello world!

Asia'h Epperson May 8, 2008 at 12:37 am

Congrats, Derek. Going by the increasing stats on your blog, I don’t think it will be long that you cross the 1K mark.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..What’s Next, Asia’h Epperson?

Cesar May 8, 2008 at 1:02 am

Congratulation Derek, it’s great if you can achieve your goal. I am trying to get more money too from blogging.
Cesar’s last blog post..Video – Discovery Channel: I Love The World

Shawn Knight May 8, 2008 at 1:12 am

Hey man, those are some pretty awesome numbers! What sort of traffic are you pulling in per month?
Shawn Knight’s last blog post..If The Economy Is In Such Bad Shape…

Ling May 8, 2008 at 3:19 am

Neat. Are these earnings just from this one blog? If so, that’s really impressive. Shows how you can aggregate income from multiple ad networks.

@Stephen | Productivity in Context May 8, 2008 at 4:47 am

Congrats, man. My own monetization efforts are picking up steam as well. I am still a ways behind you, but it’s getting there!
@Stephen | Productivity in Context’s last blog post..GTD Cafe: 6 Ways to Rebound from a Tough Week

Olivier - 7 laws of attraction May 8, 2008 at 7:01 am

Are the the texlinkads the ones mentioned under “Featured Sites”? And did you ever saw any problem with google fom doing this?
I wonder since many people are very afraid of doing such a thing.
Olivier.

Get Camping May 8, 2008 at 7:32 am

Thats cool news Derek, onwards and upwards.
Get Camping’s last blog post..Blizzard Survival bag

Home Recording Studio May 8, 2008 at 7:50 am

Congratulations on surpassing the target. I am sure that this will spur you to greater things and look forward to being around and congratulating you on your continued success.

Chris Gray May 8, 2008 at 10:12 am

Numbers are looking good my friend! So what’s the “Quit Your Day Job” threshold? Keep em’ coming 🙂
Chris Gray’s last blog post..eCommerce SEO Project

derek May 16, 2008 at 9:54 am

The “QYDJ” threshold is well into the distance unfortunately, unless I can find my wife a nice well-paying job to replace my current income. 🙂

Daisy May 8, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Well done Derek! I like how you share your earnings with us without any hype or fluff. That $1000 will be in reach soon .

Futon-Matt May 9, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Those are some great numbers, Congrats Derek.

Car Rental Atlanta May 9, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Not too bad! Keep it up : ]
Car Rental Atlanta’s last blog post..Places to Go With Your Rental Car: The APEX Museum

Furniture Store May 11, 2008 at 3:48 am

Really happy for you, good going and may you go from strength to strength.

iphone guy May 11, 2008 at 4:03 am

Well done. This is a great blog.
I’m going to check out text link ads but I don’t understand how Google is OK with it. Selling links is not liked by Google so will we get penalised?
John
iphone guy’s last blog post..See how fast you can type

Steve Elliott May 12, 2008 at 4:00 pm

I’m sure I made a post congratulating you again on another good month Derek, apologies if I am going mad.
Must be the heat over here, we hit a balmy 25 degrees today, very hot for May in the UK!

Nicole Price May 14, 2008 at 8:29 am

Congrats and good luck for the future. I hope you achieve the 1000+ goal next month itself.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..The Six Word Memoir

Joedel May 14, 2008 at 8:03 pm

That’s cool man! I hope you’re gonna make it! Your posts are very helpful and inspiring.
Joedel’s last blog post..Da House

Barbara Ling May 16, 2008 at 5:31 am

Congratulations! I’ve added your feed to my feedreader, great stuff!
Barbara
Barbara Ling’s last blog post..RANT – What the eBay Affiliate Program is Missing Part 2 – Parallel Universe Shipping!

derek May 16, 2008 at 9:53 am

That is great to hear, thank you! It’s always nice to make a connection with a new reader.

Lisbei May 20, 2008 at 3:00 am

Great target numbers you have there. It’s amazing how people can earn from blogging. You give inspiration to bloggers who are earning lesser than you. Thanks for sharing what worked and not worked for you, such as your earnings in AdSense, LinkWorth and TLA. You have given us a proven study on where we can earn most.

?? May 24, 2008 at 8:17 am