Lost :: What Do You Mean My Post Didn't Save?

by derek on May 13, 2008 · 20 comments

Between all of my blogs, I’ve now been publishing posts for nearly two years.
Tonight I experienced something that I don’t believe has ever happened – or at least I don’t remember it happening if it ever did.
Sitting here watching a baseball game with the Macbook on my lap, I had started a draft post and had entered in a handful of notes and links that I planned to use within the post.
Satisfied that I had everything that I needed, I began to write the post and hammered it out in just a few minutes. As I entered a few tags and selected the appropriate category, I clicked the save button and planned to preview the post before publishing.
When I clicked the save button, I was directed to the login screen.
Thinking that was kind of odd – and immediately feeling a pit in my stomach that the draft had not been saved, I logged in and was redirected to the “Manage” page. The number of draft posts indicated that my post was saved and I felt a small relief.
That relief quickly disappeared though when I realized that the post had last been saved when it contained my notes and roughly one paragraph of content.
Damn!
Even though the post is still fresh in my mind, I just don’t feel like writing that any longer and thought that I would share this experience with all of you.
While I am surprised that I don’t remember something like this happening before, I am sure it is something that happens to people more often than we care to admit. Maybe this is a sign that I shouldn’t be authoring my posts within the WordPress writing area, instead opting for a text editor to create the initial drafts.
Have you ever lost a post that didn’t save properly when you clicked the save button?
Share your most painful experience here – or by writing about it on your blog and linking back here – and I will pick one random person to receive a random t-shirt.

betshopboy May 13, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I’m sorry for your bad experience.
I’ve similar frustrating situation happened to me before. I had finished writing my post and wanted to add some pictures within the post itself.
When I clicked on the upload pic buttion, I was redirected to the log in screen.
When I re-login again and head to the Manage page, lo and behold, the post wasn’t saved! The entire post gone! It was indeed very frustrating.
I suspected there could be a bug somewhere (either with Wordpress itself or the hosting server) but I’m none the wiser till this day.
I’ve learned the painful lesson and have since changed my publishing habit – drafting my post using external text editior, then copy/paste it onto Wordpress editor to make minor changes before I publish it. In addition, when I want to post images, I make sure to host it somewhere (e.g. Photobucket) instead of uploading to Wordpress.
Another point to add, save/backup frequently, be it an individual post or the entire WP database, to save yourself unneccessary heartaches. Better to be safe than sorry!
betshopboy’s last blog post..My Six Words Memoir: A MeMe

Allena May 13, 2008 at 9:53 pm

This is your first time in 2 years of blogging? Man, your spoiled. I lose something on an almost monthly basis. Today I lost a rocking cover letter- my computer just decided to fart and BAM gone. pisser.

Jeremy (Discovering Dad) May 13, 2008 at 9:59 pm

The only time I lost a blog post was when my toddler son decided that it would be a good idea to push the “light” button on the tower. Argggh! It was my fault for letting him play around my computer and work at the same time – it turned out the same as you described, only part of post was saved. I learned my lesson though to play with him, so he won’t play with my computer!
Jeremy (Discovering Dad)’s last blog post..I Can Be Particular at Times – Anal Tendencies

Matt May 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Hmm… what version of WordPress (or WordPress Mu) was this on?
Matt’s last blog post..SpotPlex Closed Down

Ling May 13, 2008 at 11:46 pm

I did write an article directly on another site a few months back. Hit submit, and they never published. I kept checking back for a few weeks, but gave up after that. Kinda feels like time and money lost…
Ling’s last blog post..Jetblue Toiletgate, Pandas vs People & Loveable Tourist Traps

Cesar May 14, 2008 at 1:54 am

That is really strange and frustrating. I never got this experience but I should now a little more alert if I want to save my post.
Cesar’s last blog post..New from Google: Friend Connect

Airsoft Guns May 14, 2008 at 4:54 am

That’s horrible! I truly hate when that happens, especially when I write something really long and lose it. I know your pain.

Nicole Price May 14, 2008 at 8:19 am

It was probably coz you were engrossed in the game and left it idle for a while making your session expire. For security purposes, they would ask you to relogin if the machine has been idle in between. And the last time it saved was unluckily way before you completed the post.
It has happened with me once on my blog too.
Nicole Price’s last blog post..The Six Word Memoir

Chris May 14, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Like Jeremy, my lost post usually involve someone under the age of 10. I have resorted to writing my posts in Word for that reason and ease of the spell checker. Great site!

Joedel May 14, 2008 at 7:54 pm

I also had the same experience. I suffered about four or five times before I learned my lesson. It was when I had the writer in me active again after a long time then BOOM, it was gone! So from then on, I use the notepad to compose my posts.
Joedel’s last blog post..Paypal Philippines – Next Level

Eva White May 14, 2008 at 11:02 pm

I usually tend to work offline on my work so I have never lost things like that, but it did happen to a long email i had written to a friend.
Eva White’s last blog post..H. Lang & J. Rothstein : Deep Aid Mix

Futon-Matt May 15, 2008 at 7:09 am

Luckily I’ve never had this happen to me. I have lost all sorts of html pages and over written tons of stuff on my server. 🙁

Furniture Store May 15, 2008 at 10:39 am

I know exactly the sinking feeling you are talking about when you have just spent time and effort writing something and for whatever reason your efforts are wiped out. A few times this happened to be because of a dodgy internet connection sometimes because my toddler thought it was such a great idea to switch of the power supply to the computer when ma was working, and so on.

Steve Elliott May 15, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I have to admit that I never says posts in draft, so this could easily happen to me Derek.
Although to be honest, I would have rewritten the post, not written about the fact I had lost it (pokes tongue out 🙂 )

Asia'h Epperson May 16, 2008 at 12:22 am

That’s really frustrating… It happens to me before. Now, I always make it a point to write my draft in MS Word before copying and paste into WP. Although more works, at least I still have backup. 😛
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Asia’h Epperson Ramblings

Home Recording Studio May 16, 2008 at 9:21 am

Welcome to the club. The problem with multitasking! Yes, why only posts, even comments have disappeared by inadvertent pressing of a wrong key. You are right. Write separately and then post it on to your blog.

Camping Tents May 19, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I had a similar problem just last night and now have learnt a valuable lesson. My display drivers messed up so my screens shut off, I had a blog post drafted, half done in notepad! Lesson learnt to use Wordpress on drafts also as it auto saves every few minutes.
Camping Tents’s last blog post..Primus Camp Stoves

Mother Earth May 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm

i wrote a tribute to my son turning 20, poured my guts out – stream of motherhood writing and it landed, and published and then somehow …poof it was gone. I was soooo mad
Mother Earth’s last blog post..Natural Approaches to Menopause

Nick May 27, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I have lost some before, but usually am able to recover. One thing that has mysteriously worked a couple of times is just clicking the back button. Other than that, I highly recommend writing the post in a word processor and then copy and pasting over to WordPress for publishing because not only is it a form of temporary back-up, it makes it easier to proofread and spell-check 🙂
Nick’s last blog post..Postponing A Post And Enjoying Memorial Day

watch lost March 12, 2009 at 7:09 am

Last time when I upgrade wordpress from 2.5 to 2.6, all my data is lost and need to rewrite again. That was 1 year old blog. I still can feel the pain…
watch losts last blog post..Lost Season 5