Home Alone 5 :: The Bachelor

by derek on May 14, 2008 · 27 comments

Do you remember the classic (depending on your taste in movies) movie starring Macaulay Culkin as a young child who is left home alone?
Well, this week I will be starring in the fifth edition in this series as my wife and kids head out of town to visit family. It has been so long since I have been home alone for more than a day that I am not sure that I know what to do with myself.
The other day I asked the community over at The Man Page what they would do with the house to themselves and there were a few interesting suggestions.
Many of them involved a lack of clothing, as guys seem to enjoy walking around the house in their underwear – or less.
While there is some overlap in the community here and over at The Man Page, I thought that I would ask all of you about what you would do if you had time to yourself.
As appealing as it is to have a few days alone to do as I please, I have to admit that it is almost too quiet without anyone else running around the house. In addition, while it is fun to live the life of a bachelor again, I have really become a family man and already miss everyone.
Here are a few of the exciting things that I did today:

• Put in a few hours at the day job working from home
  • Drafted a few posts for two of my blogs
  • Balanced the checkbook and scheduled payments for remaining bills
  • Dropped off shirts at the dry cleaners
  • Stopped at the post office to mail a few things and buy stamps
  • Picked up a few staples (beer, brats, burgers) at the grocery store
  • Sushi for dinner

Sounds like an exciting time, don’t you think?
A day like today might be hard to beat but I do have a few things on the list for the rest of the week, including:

• Watch American Gangster and No Country for Old Men (from Netflix)
  • Write more blog posts
  • Get out and ride the Harley
  • Refill the propane tanks so I can grill every meal
  • Prepare for my trip to Vegas

Other than the items above, I will most likely spend my time working and/or staying up late watching bad movies on TV while surfing the Interweb – unless of course any of you have any interesting suggestions.
What would you do if you had the house to yourself?

Eva White May 14, 2008 at 10:58 pm

I think its wonderful to have the house to yourself once in a while. I would probably sleep late, then read a good book, listen to some music that other family members object to and generally destress.
Eva White’s last blog post..H. Lang & J. Rothstein : Deep Aid Mix

Kelvin Kao May 14, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Doing nothing is pretty awesome. Not having time to do things is one thing. Having time but choose to get nothing done is another.
Kelvin Kao’s last blog post..New Camera, New Script

betshopboy May 15, 2008 at 12:15 am

Your day sounded real exciting, dude. Yeah right, my FOOT! LOL!!
Being constantly on the beck and call of 2 screaming kids and picking up after them, I really miss those good old carefree bachelor days.
If I can be home alone for a day, I would be fragging the bad guys on my game console with volume turn up, treat myself to DVDs movies marathon, ordering home deliveries, and basically rot myself silly.
Boy, do I sound like I need a vacation?
betshopboy’s last blog post..My Six Words Memoir: A MeMe

Futon-Matt May 15, 2008 at 7:03 am

Congrats on your brief bachelorhood. I would go to as many aikido and kenjutsu classes as I could squeeze into that time were I in your shoes. But, catching up on stuff must feel productive.

Joedel May 15, 2008 at 8:16 am

I will cook my favorite food and pig myself out everyday. I might invite some friends to come over for a swimming party for a day or two.
Joedel’s last blog post..Losing

Andrea May 15, 2008 at 8:24 am

“What would you do if you had the house to yourself?”
Wow. What a question! I honestly think I would game for the entire time! I am an avid gamer and I would see this as a golden opportunity!! Log into World of Warcraft and drink nothing but CocaCola. MAYBE I would go out and go eat at my favorite restaurant. But for the most part, I would stay home and game.

Ling May 15, 2008 at 10:29 am

Get everything you need. Set base on the couch in front of the TV, laptop close at hand, and never get up until your wife gets home, except for nature calls. I’d suggest you watch triologies, back-to-back. Like Die Hard or Lord of the Rings or Godfather. Or Star Wars…That should be fun.
Ling’s last blog post..UpTake.com is now open to the public!

Furniture Store May 15, 2008 at 10:59 am

Doesnt forced bachelorhood mean that people take pity on you and invite you over for wholesome home cooked dinners? People tend to take pity on you if you are alone and ‘palely loitering’.

Yuwie money May 15, 2008 at 11:26 am

Hey!
Make money online with Yuwie!
Please visit my website!
Thanks a lot!
😉
Yuwie money’s last blog post..ON THIS BLOG

betshopboy May 15, 2008 at 8:01 pm

Nobody like SPAM!
betshopboy’s last blog post..My Six Words Memoir: A MeMe

Bape May 15, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Have a good time at home! I love when the family leaves and I get some time to myself :).

Heida May 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Yes, I do remember the movie “Home Alone” and always have liked it.
As for you having the house to yourself, cool. Me I love having the house to myself. Next best is when my daughter is in school and my husband is asleep and I have peace and quiet.

Steve Elliott May 15, 2008 at 4:12 pm

No Country for Old Men certainly gets my vote. It loses its way a few times but is well worth a couple of hours of your life.
What are brats? I take it you didn’t stop off at the shops and pick up someone else’s annoying kids? Confused!

derek May 16, 2008 at 12:20 am

Brats = bratwurst = tasty sausages cooked on the grill 🙂

Steve Elliott May 19, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Lol, not annoying kids at all then. Thanks for clearing that up!

Damien May 15, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Derek, tell me wtf that thing is he shoots the guy in the head with. It looks kind of like a propane tank! that movie was brutal. I just saw Speed Racer, …. eh … ok. I wish we would have seen Iron Man. read my review here:
Enjoy bro! I love time alone, but I do miss my wife
Damien’s last blog post..10 Fat Ways to Get Backlinks, and then some

Asia'h Epperson May 16, 2008 at 12:24 am

I will tidy up my room, you know, it is very messy and probably I will do it only when I am free 🙂
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Asia’h Epperson Ramblings

Home Recording Studio May 16, 2008 at 9:25 am

Crossword puzzles, read, crossword puzzles, read, blog, comment, blog, read, go out to eat so that plates need not be washed and stored. Read again, and sleep in late.

Furniture Store May 18, 2008 at 12:48 am

I enjoyed reading about what YOU were going to do and then enjoyed reading about what all your commentators would do or their suggestions for what you should do 🙂

Airsoft Guns May 19, 2008 at 6:52 pm

You seem to be having a great time being alone. It’s times like these I feel good, because I know I will never have children and thus will always have enough money and lots of time to be happy. I know, children are a very rewarding thing to some people, but not for me.

Nicole Price May 20, 2008 at 1:44 pm

All the comments have made very interesting reading. Some were real eye openers.

Cesar May 28, 2008 at 12:58 am

Well, you have a busy day alone at home. If I am alone at home I mostly only sit behind my laptop and doing homework and entertain myself with movies or games. By the way, No Country for Old Men is a good movie.
Cesar’s last blog post..Vampire Knight 8 English Sub

Monavie May 28, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I agree with Andrea. I would play World of Warcraft all day long! But it is nice to get organized and have dinner ready and laundry done, that way when your family gets home you can focus on spending time with them.

sushi man December 4, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I would definitely have a rocking house party

Steve@Free iPods December 4, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Crickey, this is a bit of a bump, wondered why may name didn’t have the “..@..” bit !