Round And Round :: Random Photos

by derek on May 20, 2008 · 16 comments

Ever since I took a photography class in college, I have been interested in photography and am trying to learn more as time permits. While developing my own black and white film was a lot of fun, shooting in digital is so much easier while trying to build your skills.
You might remember that my wife bought me a Nikon D40x DSLR for Christmas, which I am still learning how to use.
Over at The Man Page, I’ve been fortunate enough to have had a professional photographer begin to share his tips and tricks for making the most of your photos – which is already helping me.
The area of photography that is really appealing to me is shooting macro. For some reason I am really drawn to macro photos and that is the area that I would like to focus on with my own shooting, although I still have not purchased a Canon 500D filter that comes highly recommended for macro work.
With all of that said, another aspect of photography that I want to pursue is shooting around a theme. After giving it some thought, the theme that I am attracted to is subjects that are circular. The circle is a very powerful symbol that holds considerable meaning, at least to me.
So where is all of this going?
Well, I wanted to share a few random photos that I snapped with my camera shortly after breaking it out of the box on Christmas Day. Each of these photos was an attempt to capture my two interests in photography: macro and circular.

Macro Photography
Macro Photography
Macro Photography
Macro Photography

For the photographers in the crowd, please critique these shots as honest feedback will only help me improve my skills.
For the non-photographers, I’m also interested to hear your thoughts on these shots.
Do you like macro shots?
What do you think of trying to shoot a circular theme?

Ling May 20, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Great pics, Derek. I’m no shutterbug, but the third pic seems the most interesting. You know what you could do? Post pics, and have caption contests. It’s fun, and everybody loves to give captions to pictures.
Ling’s last blog post..Chicago Sues eBay For Amusement Taxes

Stephen May 21, 2008 at 2:51 am

Mmm… Mini Bagels… Costco right? 😀
Remember to “Avoid the Flash for Better Pictures” 😉
Stephen’s last blog post..Five Things I Observed About Traffic in Taipei…

pauletet May 21, 2008 at 4:19 am

Hi Derek:) Don’t forget the 1/3 rule in photography avoid putting the subject on the very center.

Cesar May 28, 2008 at 1:10 am

I don’t know such rule exist. I don’t understand what’s wrong with picture in the very center.
Cesar’s last blog post..Radio Glitch delays work on Mars

Karl May 21, 2008 at 4:43 am

now im hungry 😛 nic pics

Home Recording Studio May 21, 2008 at 8:09 am

Derek, I am strictly family photos only person. I also am a aim and shoot person who is most uncomfortable with cameras where one has to focus etc.
I however like what you have put up there. I can not tell you why but like them I do.
I hope that this satisfies you.

Nicole Price May 22, 2008 at 12:27 am

I think the first 2 pics are way better than the 3rd and 4th.

Nicole Price May 22, 2008 at 12:31 am

Derek, the comment luv plugin isn’t working for my comments. Any idea why?

Nick May 23, 2008 at 8:38 am

Of the pictures above, I like the first 2 the best.
I too would like to know and do more in the realm of photography, hence my “Sunday Snapshots” but I don’t have a camera near as nice as your DSLR.
Nick’s last blog post..Handing Out Headlines

Furniture Store May 24, 2008 at 4:12 am

I dont have a whole lot of expertise about photography, but the digital camera has certainly revolutionized the way people take photographs. Whereas earlier you were careful about how many photos you took, with a digi cam you are free to take as many as you want with a large margin of error since there is no wastage involved. You simply delete what you dont like and keep what you do. And you can keep practicing until you get the shot right.

Airsoft Guns May 24, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Macro shots are my favorite kind of photo! I love seeing the intense detail of regular, real life objects. It’s great.

Eva White May 26, 2008 at 1:13 am

My favourite is the candle. The rest make me hungry…
Eva White’s last blog post..Console Wars

Asia'h Epperson May 26, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I like the 2nd pic. Look great.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Three Things You Didn’t Know About Me

Cesar May 28, 2008 at 1:11 am

Nice pictures Derek, I mostly like the picture of the Candle and the last picture(what is that?, it look delicious). I am hungry now.
Cesar’s last blog post..Radio Glitch delays work on Mars

Cashmere May 30, 2008 at 1:57 am

Beautiful pictures. I kept wondering where you got the snaps, now I know to whom the credit goes.
Cashmere’s last blog post..Training Potential Air Hostesses

Frank@All Candle Supplies October 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Have you noticed a difference in comments since you’ve been using Keyword Luv? I was considering installing it.