Take A Ride In The Way Back Machine :: May 2007

by derek on May 21, 2008 · 19 comments

Maybe the “Way Back Machine” isn’t quite the right term since this journey is only going to take you back one year, but I liked the sound of it.
With a growing community, I realize that there are new people finding their way here on a regular basis. Due to the fact that some of you were not around at this time last year, and knowing how difficult it can be to find time to browse the archives, I thought that it would be fun to share a few posts from last May.

• Target of Your Links :: While browsing the Interweb, I had realized that some bloggers create all of their external links to open in a new window. My preference is to create links that open in the same window in an effort to avoid annoying the reader. Be sure to check out the interesting dialog that ensued in the comments.
  • Speaking of Comments :: Last year we discussed the idea of responding to comments. My goal is to respond to each comment, although lately I have felt like I have been slipping in that regard. Another post related to comments touched on why I like the subscribe to comments plugin – which always bums me out when a blog doesn’t use it.
  • If Today Were the Last Day of Your Life… :: After reading a passage from Steve Jobs’ commencment address, I was doubting my own answer to the question posed by Jobs. Moving forward to today, I believe the answer lies more on the side of “No” and that is why I am working on making changes.
  • Most Unique Long Tail :: With a new blog, I was spending an inordinate amount of time (okay, nothing has really changed) checking blog stats and analytics. Being a fan of HitTail, I was noticing some rather odd unique long tail search results.

Hopefully you have enjoyed this look back to the past. It has been fun for me to go back and read some of my own posts, remembering where I was at that time and how things have changed since then.
Out of the posts above, which is your favorite from the Way Back Machine?

Nicole Price May 22, 2008 at 12:18 am

I too prefer opening links in a new window. It helps the reader continue reading your blog once he is done checking out the link.

Ling May 22, 2008 at 12:25 am

As a reader, I prefer links opening the same window. I mean, if you really want to keep the original page upon, you can always right click and open in a new window, or hit back when you’re done with the new window. But as a blog or site owner, the idea of losing a visitor because you linked to someone else is not really sensible. So..everyone except for my sites should open links in the same window. 🙂
Ling’s last blog post..Chicago Sues eBay For Amusement Taxes

Asia'h Epperson May 26, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I agreed with Ling on it. I feel quite annoying to open a new window.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Three Things You Didn’t Know About Me

Herrera May 22, 2008 at 3:34 am

You know what? I think it really depends what site you have? I agree with Nicole, I’d rather have the links open in a new window. If the site is of value, which this blog clearly is, then I want to peruse the reference in my own time. However I can see why Derek would recommend links opening within the same window if it was say at the end of the blog post i.e. whet your readers appetite and then send them off to the site your writing about. Horses for courses I guess.
Herrera’s last blog post..Veneuzalians flee to Panama for the good life.

Gillian May 22, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I always open pages in a new tab, because I still haven’t finished everything on a current page. Sometimes I want to open more then one link, so if new page opens in the same window – I’ll hardly go back or will lose my usual surfing speed.

versicherungen May 23, 2008 at 12:08 am

I want to discussed the idea of responding to comments again.I want to respond to each comment.I want to learn more.
versicherungen’s last blog post..Gesetzliche Rentenversicherung – für Selbständige, bald Pflicht ?

Home Recording Studio May 23, 2008 at 8:36 am

No question about it. It has got to be “If today were the last day of your life.”

National Motorcycle Museum May 23, 2008 at 10:59 am

I usually don’t respond to comments. Only if there’s a debate to be had and I can guarantee a response.

Steve Elliott May 23, 2008 at 11:33 am

I’ve only been around here for a couple of months but I would say that you respond to as many if not more comments than most of the blogs I visit.
There are the odd exceptions but you are right up there. It truly gives a personal feel to the whole experience.

Steve Elliott May 26, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Well, usually you reply…..
🙂

derek May 26, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Lol, after getting home from Vegas I’ve spent a few days away from the computer to catch up on family time. Had to get on to post Speedlinking tonight and then should be back into the swing of things tomorrow.

Steve Elliott May 27, 2008 at 11:23 am

🙂 – only kidding sir!

Top Rated May 23, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Definitely like having new windows open in a different tab. I was on of my first favorite things about using a tabbed browser. I really hated have multiple windows all over the place. Just seems so messy.

Furniture Store May 24, 2008 at 4:26 am

This is a good idea to refresh the memory of long standing readers or give new ones some idea about your history. I am going to go thru all those posts of yours when i have a little time.

Airsoft Guns May 24, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for sharing those posts, I’ve only been on this blog recently so I haven’t really seen any of your old posts. They are great, I really liked the one about “If this was the last day of your life”.

Eva White May 26, 2008 at 1:12 am

Yes, Opening a new window to view the link is better. That way when you’re done checking it out you can just close it and continue reading the original blog.
Eva White’s last blog post..Console Wars

Asia'h Epperson May 26, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I think you have done quite well in term of responding to comments. There are some bloggers that totally don’t even response to comment made even though they are much more smaller in term of traffic compared to you.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Three Things You Didn’t Know About Me

Cesar May 28, 2008 at 1:16 am

I mostly like “If Today Were the Last Day of Your Life…”. But I would not like that today is my last day since I still don’t accomplish what I want to do.
Cesar’s last blog post..Radio Glitch delays work on Mars

Paul@Think Horses December 2, 2008 at 10:24 am

I am mixed about opening in a new window or not; sometimes I open in a new window and forget, close the origional tab and then have to look in the history to find the blog/site again.