Where Did You Come From, Where Did You Go :: May 2008

by derek on May 26, 2008 · 25 comments

It is hard to believe that May is already coming to a close – man, is it just me or did it go by extremely fast? – and it is time to take another look at the top referring sites and most visited posts.
As you might remember. the last Speedlinking of each month is used to highlight the top ten blogs that referred the most traffic – where did you come from – and the top ten most visited posts for the month – where did you go.
Thanks to the following blogs who sent the most readers this way during the month of May.

Top 10 Referring Sites

1. Sparkplugging
  2. Geekologie
  3. Courtney Tuttle
  4. 45n5.com
  5. More Merchant
  6. Beyond the Rhetoric
  7. Leo Chiang
  8. Shoemoney
  9. Watch Anime Online
  10. GradeMoney.com

With this list I exclude the social media sites but it is interesting to note that the top spots were held down by StumbleUpon, Google, Google Image search, and twitter.
What were all of these visitors reading once they got here?
Here are the top 10 visited articles from the past month, according to the statistics from Google Analytics.

Top 10 Visited Posts

1. How To Record A Cellphone Conversation
  2. Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
  3. What The Heck Is A Privacy Policy? Where Do I Get One?
  4. Speedlinking – The Power Within You
  5. Confessions Of A Lazy (And Shy) Blogger
  6. Pictures :: Aftermath of Exploding CD
  7. GoDaddy…No Really, Go :: Saving Money On Domains
  8. Illinois Tollway Authority :: Embrace Technology, Please!
  9. Famous People Named Derek
  10. Shot Down By The Amazon Affiliate Program

The list above has a few usual suspects that continue to bring in the traffic on a monthly basis while also having a handful of posts from the month of May that rose to the top. Reviewing the top visited posts on a monthly basis is something I highly recommend as it is very interesting to see what type of content gets the best response.
Thank you to everyone for making the month of May an exciting month. There has been some great conversation via the comments and it is exciting to see more and more new faces. Here is to a great month of June for everyone!

Michael Kwan May 26, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Woohoo, I made the list again. Glad to send the traffic your way.
Michael Kwan’s last blog post..Winner of the Best Comment Contest

Leo May 27, 2008 at 12:28 am

Damn, you beat me!
Leo’s last blog post..UFC 84: Ill Will

Ling May 27, 2008 at 1:08 am

That cellphone conversation post keeps pooping up in your most visited posts list every month. You really need to look into what made it so popular.
Ling’s last blog post..Cafes For Writers

derek May 27, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Sorry, your comment was held up in the spam filter and I had missed it earlier.
As for the popularity of the cell phone recording post, my analytics show that there are a lot of people looking to record the conversations of a spouse/partner they suspect is cheating on them. I never thought it would be that popular though.

GradeMoney.com May 27, 2008 at 4:55 am

Thanks for the link Derek.
Can’t believe my blog actually directed traffic to your blog through just by putting you on my blogroll. =)
GradeMoney.com’s last blog post..Never Spend Too Much If You Want to Make Money Online Through Blogging

Eva White May 27, 2008 at 7:56 am

The privacy policy blog was very nice. Yes, May is all but gone and so is almost half this year. Is it only me or has 2008 sped past real fast?
Eva White’s last blog post..Why Oil Prices Are Not Going To Fall……

Home Recording Studio May 27, 2008 at 9:47 am

Looks like you had a nice long week end and are still in a holiday mood!There are still a few more days left in May to go Derek. Hope that you will post a couple of comments at least.

derek May 27, 2008 at 9:57 am

@Michael :: That is a few months running now and you have been rising up the ranks of referred traffic. Much appreciated!
@Leo :: Stop slacking!
@GM :: Thanks for the blogroll link and the traffic that you have sent my way. 🙂
@Eva :: 2008 has been moving by extremely fast for me, I cannot believe the kids have about one week left of school and it will be summer break!
@HRS :: Yeah, there are a few days left in May but my next Speedlinking post will be in June so I jumped the gun. 🙂

Home Recording Studio May 28, 2008 at 8:09 am

I got worried!

Jenna May 27, 2008 at 11:30 am

It isn’t just you — May has gone by TOO fast.. I’ve had trouble just keeping up with my days because so much has been going on!
Interesting read about your traffic! : ]
Jenna’s last blog post..Buying a Used Car May Not Be as Cheap as You Think!

Steve Elliott May 27, 2008 at 11:34 am

Am I right in thinking that the top referring sites are places that you go and comment yourself Derek?

derek May 27, 2008 at 11:39 am

@Jenna :: Thanks! Being busy makes the days move by so much faster, we just need to make sure that we are taking the time to enjoy it as well.
@Steve :: Yes and no. You will find me commenting on a handful of those sites in the top list but not all of them. A couple of the sites are new to me and I will likely be adding them to my list of regular visits as well.

Nick May 27, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Hmmm, I might have to try and do something to get on this list here…seems like a pretty elite group!
Nick’s last blog post..Postponing A Post And Enjoying Memorial Day

rentenversicherung May 27, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for highlight the top ten blogs.I hope it will inspire the bloggers.
rentenversicherung’s last blog post..Abzüge von der Rente

Asia'h Epperson May 27, 2008 at 6:35 pm

I like this monthly article because you highlighted those posts that are most visited. Surprisingly, I found that most of the time, half of those are older post which I never read before.
I am quite lazy to go through the archive, so, this is an opportunity for me to read those 🙂
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..How To Manage Your Time?

Michael May 27, 2008 at 8:44 pm

where did i come from? well i came from google, was about to close the window when i saw the title. just hat to post! 🙂

derek May 27, 2008 at 9:03 pm

@Nick :: Very elite group and it would be great to see you included in that list! 🙂
@R :: Me too, thanks.
@Asia’h :: It is interesting to see that certain older posts continue to bring in the traffic. Oddly enough, some of those posts were things I almost didn’t write but put out there just for fun.
@Michael :: Welcome! But now I have a follow-up question. What were you searching for that brought you to this site? 🙂

Asia'h Epperson May 28, 2008 at 6:22 pm

That’s the point. You will never know what post will be popular until you put it out there.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Teacher lets Students Vote out Little Boy

Cesar May 28, 2008 at 1:21 am

Thanks Derek for listing my anime site WatchAnimeOnline.com, I did not know that I send you many visitors since I don’t remember put your link in my site. But I think I have done that and I am not surprised that many visitors go to your site. I get about 2000+ uv per day.
Cesar’s last blog post..Radio Glitch delays work on Mars

Cesar May 28, 2008 at 1:22 am

Sorry, I wrote wrong, I mean WatchAnimeOn.com
Cesar’s last blog post..Radio Glitch delays work on Mars

Nicole Price May 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm

So looks like people doubting their spouse’s fidelity is working in your favor. Good going.

Nicole Price May 30, 2008 at 10:56 pm

I wonder why the CommentLuv plugin does not work for me…..

derek May 31, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Nicole, it looks like you entered your URL with only one “/” before the domain and the plugin cannot resolve the URL to find your feed. I’ll try to correct your links to see if that helps.

Furniture Store May 31, 2008 at 8:57 am

It seems like i barely got used to 2008 and its already half done (well almost)! I am just back from a short holiday and that sped by really fast too!

Dora June 2, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Comment Luv works for me. I don’t have any problems with it. You have to network as well.