Just A Quick Note About Leaving Comments

by derek on June 4, 2008 · 15 comments

When you leave 5-10 comments within a few minutes and they all point to different “.info” domains, don’t be surprised when they are not approved.
Don’t get me wrong, I am all for sharing the link love as just about anyone will tell you but don’t be a whore about it.
Thanks! 🙂

Joe Cheray June 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm

I hate getting those types of comments. I just delete them if it looks like spam and acts like spam then it is spam pure and simple. Thank Goodness for askismet.
Joe Cheray’s last blog post..My Space and Hi5 Graphic Compatibility?Test

Ling@Triphow June 4, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Duh! I don’t see why you have to explain to them. I mean, its not like tehy read teh posts or anything. Most likely its just a spam bot or something.
Ling’s last blog post..Tejon Ranch Condors, Hilton Pet Friendly & Chicago Field Musuem

Nick@romandock dot com June 5, 2008 at 9:52 am

You’ll have to let me know if this post is effective at stopping that practice 😀
Nick’s last blog post..This Week In Blogging – 012

derek June 5, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Lol, I know there wasn’t much point to this post but as I was watching the White Sox game into the 15th inning, catching up on Google Reader, and moderating comment spam I had to vent.

Airsoft Guns June 5, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I agree, you should definitely share “link love” with your loyal commenters, but as you so bluntly put it, there are some whores out there that need to be dealt with harshly!
Ha ha, .info names. I never had respect for that TLD.

Cesar@Tech News Blog June 6, 2008 at 7:35 am

I am agree that you should delete those comments. Luckily, I have not got many of those kind of comments.
Cesar’s last blog post..Run other OS withinn your OS with VirtualBox

Steve@Free iPods June 6, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Take it as a compliment Derek, people obviously think your blog is worth getting the link lurve from 🙂

Daisy June 7, 2008 at 6:46 am

Is this the latest thing in comment spamming? Buy a couple of $0.99 .info domains and submit comments 1 after another. . info domains will only be seen as spammy domains in the not so distant future.

Asia'h Epperson June 8, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I think it is a trend of buying bulk of .info domain and submit comment everywhere. I got quite a number on my WP blogs as well.
Asia’h Epperson’s last blog post..Writer’s Block

Andrea June 9, 2008 at 9:35 am

yeah, i dont get many spam comments, come to think of it…i dont get many comments to begin with! LOL
I often wonder how spammers think they could get away with what they do. do people actually allow spammers to comment?

Natron June 10, 2008 at 8:26 am

I like my .info domain, and this isn’t a spam comment 😉
Natrons last blog post..CD Release Party, Friday June 13th

dan @life coaching June 17, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Interesting question from Andrea – from my own browsing I’ve seen loads of sites that just blindly accept comments from anyone. Frankly it really doesn’t look good to the user and I wonder why they allow them through.
I hadn’t realised that .info domains were becoming so common and cheap. I’ve been getting a few lately that slip through the akismet traps, though I’m still able to moderate all my comments so that’s ok. It is incredibly frustrating, when you have a low comment rate, if you get a new comment through and it’s about something irrelevant.
dans last blog post..10 Top Tips for Being Assertive Without Being Aggressive

derek June 17, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Dan, I’ve been pretty lenient on the comments but have started to get a little more picky about what is allowed. One such change has been with the removal of the name link if the comment only includes SEO keywords and no name.
With that said, I can certainly appreciate your note about the frustration when you don’t receive many comments and those that you do receive are spam. It can be very deflating but over time that tide will begin to turn and the comments do pick up.

Martin@mobile broadband on Eee PC September 2, 2008 at 6:00 am

It’s about caring for actual reader and commenters. If there are obvious spamming going on, comments that isn’t even on topic or in the style of “I agree, thanks for sharing” I think you must disapprove it. Otherwise you will drive away real commenters and the quality of the blog goes down. Think about it, the best blogs are the ones where the visitors participate in the discussion or add more value to already great posts.
Being generous with link juice is great but it’s a bit give and take isn’t it? I help you if you help me kind-of. You also know that comments that aren’t even on topic are from visitors that hasn’t even read the content, they add nothing.
That said, comments don’t have to be long and winding and it is okay to only say you like the post, but in that case it’s better to not leave a spammy link as that proves you only commented for the link.

Martin@mobile broadband on Eee PC September 2, 2008 at 6:02 am

Oh, and on that note, I’d just like to see if my last blog post is found if I supply the right URL. Ironic. Sorry.
Martins last blog post..Hey I have a blog