MTV's America's Best Dance Crew :: Why My Son Will Be Voting

by derek on June 12, 2008 · 35 comments

When Season 2 of MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew gets underway on June 19th, my youngest son will be tuning in and has already asked us if he will be allowed to vote.
Why does he want to vote?
For the last few years, he has been taking hip-hop dance lessons at a local dance studio and he absolutely loves it. The new series of classes just recently got started and his dance instructor is Sergio Lopez.
Who is Sergio Lopez?

Xtreme Dance Force

Sergio is a member of the Xtreme Dance Force team that is competing on MTV’s dance series. While this unfortunately means that my son’s class now has a substitute teacher while he is away filming the show, my son is extremely thrilled that he can watch his teacher on TV.
In the picture above, Sergio is the one standing on his hands.
Since seeing the live casting episode of the show and learning that his instructor has made the show, my son has been asking every morning if it is the day that the show begins. You would think he was counting down the days until Christmas!
Here is a clip of their performance from MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew:

Sergio and the rest of Xtreme Dance Force, you’ve got a very excited 6-year-old that will certainly be voting for you guys. Good luck!
Photo: ยฉ2008 Warner Bros Television

Ling June 12, 2008 at 11:24 pm

This would be one of the things you learn from your children. Kinda makes me a bit sad that we’re not hip and cool anymore…

derek June 13, 2008 at 8:54 am

Speak for yourself! I’m still hip and cool…ok, maybe not. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nicole Price June 13, 2008 at 9:26 am

Wow! That is a nice confession to make. Welcome to the club!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Lighting Up The House

Nick@romandock dot com June 12, 2008 at 11:40 pm

I’m sure he’s quite excited, who wouldn’t think it was cool to see someone they know on national TV like that? Heck, I think it’s pretty cool when I think I catch a glimpse of Leo on Battlestar Gallactica (which I only just started watching just to see if I would see him)
Nicks last blog post..APRS Radar (VoiceAlert) Revisited

derek June 13, 2008 at 8:57 am

Lol, I cannot bring myself to watch BG but I have done the same thing with Night At The Museum. It is cool to see someone you know, even if it is just on the Interweb, on TV or in a movie.

Nick@romandock dot com June 18, 2008 at 9:23 am

Does Leo know you don’t watch? I just recently started so I’m not too hooked on the show or the storyline or anything, just like to watch and see if I can see Leo while I’m surfin’ around the interweb.
Who do you know from Night At The Museum?
Nicks last blog post..What would you like to see here?

derek June 18, 2008 at 10:32 am

Yeah he knows – why do you think he doesn’t comment here as much anymore? He would like you to believe it is because he is busy but he is mad because I don’t like BSG, lol.
Our good friend Leo is in the movie Night At The Museum!

Steve@Free iPods June 13, 2008 at 5:04 am

Do you take the hip-hop lessons too Derek. Good opportunity for a bit of father and son bonding?

derek June 13, 2008 at 8:59 am

You think I need lessons? Please!
Actually, I think my wife would kill me if I ever performed what I call dancing outside of the house. That or she would die of embarrassment.

Nicole Price June 13, 2008 at 9:29 am

Try her. She may surprise you. Do not ever think something about wives without first checking with them!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Lighting Up The House

derek June 13, 2008 at 9:40 am

Lol, you’ve never seen me dance! ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve@Free iPods June 15, 2008 at 2:41 pm

I know what you mean Derek, the only way I would get near a dancefloor is if it was between me and the bar !

Dave June 13, 2008 at 6:54 am

That’s pretty awesome! Is your son any good yet? I’ve seen that show before, and they do some amazing stuff. I’d love to learn myself.

derek June 13, 2008 at 9:03 am

Well, my opinion is certainly biased but I think he is pretty good – particularly for being 6. He still has a long way to go but I think he can do really well.

Andrea June 13, 2008 at 7:18 am

Wow, thats awesome, how exciting for your son to go to his friends, “yeah, see that man dancing right there? he’s my dance teacher. Is he yours? No? aww too bad!” :p

derek June 13, 2008 at 9:07 am

It is really cool, although somewhat bittersweet as we are missing out on him teaching while he is gone. But I am sure my son will be talking about it for a long time.

Futon-Matt June 13, 2008 at 8:30 am

Very cool.

Nicole Price June 13, 2008 at 9:31 am

I know some young people hooked on to the American Idol. The racket that they make is unbelievable! I hope that it is not the case with you.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Lighting Up The House

Shawn Knight June 13, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Thats pretty cool! It’s always fun to see someone you know on a TV show. A guy I graduated high school with was on the UFC’s Ultimate Fighter reality show a few years ago, although he didn’t do so well ๐Ÿ™ lol
Shawn Knights last blog post..Why People Screw Up With Money

derek June 16, 2008 at 11:08 am

Do you mind sharing who it was? I’ve been watching that show since the beginning so it would be interesting to note who you knew.

pauletet June 14, 2008 at 9:51 am

Hope sergio’s group win for your son to be more inspired in his dancing hobby:)

Airsoft Guns June 14, 2008 at 1:27 pm

You’re youngest son is six and he’s been taking hip hop lessons? That’s pretty interesting. When I was six, I don’t know what I did to pass the time.

derek June 16, 2008 at 11:09 am

Lol, you and me both. He has been taking hip hop lessons and guitar lessons, although recently has been taking a break from guitar as his schedule was too busy.

Hip-Hop June 16, 2008 at 8:05 am

Does Dance Revolution Extreme 2 have any hands and feet combos in any songs?

derek June 16, 2008 at 11:10 am

Not sure, we have one of those dancing games for Wii but I am not sure it is the one you mention. From what I recall, there are no hand/foot combo moves but I could be wrong.

Fat Loss Blogger June 16, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Very cool, your son must be very excited!
Fat Loss Bloggers last blog post..P90X Results – Day 21 Pictures and Measurements

Eva White June 25, 2008 at 4:55 am

Wow, mind blowing. I hope they win.
Eva Whites last blog post..Charging Your Phoneโ€ฆ Forget It!

Johnnie@Auto Insurance June 29, 2008 at 3:33 pm

It’ll be cool if they win only because your so knows that guy, but to be honest, all these shows are kinda getting old to me. There is so many of them on right now. After American Idol (which was a idea from the U.K. i believe), all of a sudden, hundreds of these “the best” shows started popping up out of nowhere.

pauletet June 30, 2008 at 7:14 am

Derek why dont you try hip hop dancing, some of my friends are using this to stay fit and part of their morning exercise.

derek June 30, 2008 at 10:04 am

Lol, I’ve tried dancing around with my son a little bit and it is quite the workout. There is a reason all of the dancers you see on stage are in great shape – that is some really hard work!

Olly@Guitar Tuition Books July 18, 2008 at 5:03 pm

I think there is nothing more inspiring that seeing someone who manages to achieve recognition for their dedication to a particualr hobby.
Often with this type of thing the recognition for the time and dedication can sometimes seem minimal.
To see the dance teacher on screen will do nothing but inspire kids to take up the hobby.
Good luck to him

Kalen@International Hip-Hop January 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

He definitely should vote. This is like American Idol except it isn’t rigged and people who actually matter get to decide. Plus the people who participate actually have talent.

IndianaGrind@Indiana HipHop October 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I swear I was addicted to MTV’s ABDC for like 2 years (mainly because indiana hiphop crew break ski was on it) Great show and very entertaining