Speedlinking – All About The Dads

by derek on June 16, 2008 · 16 comments

While Father’s Day has already passed, I’d like to give a shout to all of the fathers across the blogosphere and feature a handful of the dad bloggers that I read regularly with this edition of Speedlinking.
In addition, I would like to encourage all of you dads – or those curious about how this dad approaches parenting and career issues – to check out my thoughts and experiences over at The Man Page.
1. Jeremy from Discovering Dad took some time to share his top 10 discoveries about being a good dad. Jeremy has a lot of great content to offer, including an interview with yours truly.
2. Over at Daddee Yah!, John talks about how even though he loves the time he spends with his son, he doesn’t want to wake up for feedings anymore. This is something I can recall myself, which goes to show that being in different parts of the world doesn’t mean parenting issues are any different.
3. Tyler from Building Camelot learned a lesson from one of my least favorite athletes – every day is Father’s Day. There is a lot of truth in those words, as the rewards that I feel as a father come on a regular basis.
4. Greg over at Mommy Daddy Blog had an opportunity to get revenge on his wife when he shared a picture of when mommy meets big bird. Since my wife is not interested in blogging, I am not sure that I will ever need to seek payback but I’ve got the picture ready should I need it.
5. Over at Chief Home Officer, Jeff has been working at home for 12 years and has also realized that Father’s Day can be a daily event. It all depends on how you define what Father’s Day means to you but there are plenty of opportunities each and every day.
To all of the fathers across the blogosphere, thank you for all that you do to be an active part of your family and to share a piece of that with the Interweb. It is great to see a growing community of dad bloggers that are tackling issues that dads face each and every day.
Please take some time to take a look at these five dad blogs to see the great things that they are doing.

Jeremy (Discovering Dad) June 16, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Derek! I hope you had a great Father’s Day, and I really enjoyed having you as part of the Spotlight on Dads series. Everyone should read your interview!
Jeremy (Discovering Dad)s last blog post..Discovering Dad on Soapbox Radio

Wendy Piersall June 16, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Great dads INDEED! 🙂
Wendy Piersalls last blog post..Free Product Samples from Huggies, Cascade and More Name Brands! [Momsational!]

Ling@Uptake June 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Father’s day slipped by quietly, didn’t it? There’s a big hoopla over Mother’s Day, but Father’s Day just sneaks by without any fanfare. Kinda unfair.

JLow June 17, 2008 at 12:47 am

Thanks Derek, for the speedlink!
We actually had 2 meal-gatherings for Father’s Day- Lunch with my folks, and dinner with my inlaws. But for 3 yr old Caitlin, it was just more food for her!
Cheers!

Andrea June 17, 2008 at 8:12 am

great links, thanks! ive been following (…lurking) on a few of them already. 🙂
btw, happy belated fathers day! hope it was a good one.
(great interview about you too.)

Justin@Airsoft Guns June 17, 2008 at 8:16 am

Father’s Day really did go by fast. I’ve realized that when certain holidays, like Christmas, end, people always say, “Every day can be…” It sure would be nice if every day was a holiday, but then they wouldn’t be as special.

derek June 17, 2008 at 8:58 am

@Jeremy :: Thanks, I did have a great FD and hope you did as well! Your latest Spotlight is shining on someone relatively close in proximity to me that I might have to try and make a connection with soon.
@Wendy :: Agree wholeheartedly. 🙂
@Ling :: Maybe it is just me but I kind of like it that way, as I prefer a quiet relaxing day with the family. Although I think FD should be moved to Saturday, as having to go to work the next morning takes some of the fun out of the day, lol.
@John :: You’re welcome! Sounds like a busy but fun day.
@Andrea :: Thanks, it was a great one! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the interview.
@Justin :: I see where you are coming from about losing some of the specialness of the holiday – which can certainly happen. But being proud of my kids will never stop being special.

Nicole Price June 17, 2008 at 9:50 am

Some truly amazing dads indeed. Obviously, I can only relate to my father! What a guy. I suppose every woman thinks that her father is the greatest man in the world!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Fashion Industry: Who’s The Most Influential and Powerful

Tyler @ Building Camelot June 17, 2008 at 11:23 am

Thanks for the mention Derek. Yea – I’m not a big Lakers fan…actually I’m not a big basketball fan at all, but I thought his words were true for every father out there. Well, almost every father. Thanks again.
Tylers last blog post..Bill Walton To His Son Luke: “Everyday Is Father’s Day”

jeff zbar June 17, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Derek, Thanks for the shout-out – and for all you do for dads out there. Father’s Day was a celebration with three generations of Zbars, plus a set of in-laws. And at the site, we’ve acknowledged another dad who appreciates the chance to work from home to be near his three kids.
One thing: The essay you mentioned was written in 2001 – when I was a 12-year home office veteran. In February 2009, I will celebrate 20 years working from home – and over 17 years as a day.
I’ve never looked back, except in awe of what we’ve been able to create and enjoy here.
jeff zbars last blog post..Work-at-Home Dad Sees Telework as Path to Balance & Essay Award

Nick@romandock dot com June 18, 2008 at 9:11 am

I had to check out the Big Bird post…and then find out what it was payback for…that was pretty funny. You always have such interesting posts in your speedlinking posts, where do you find time to read all these blogs and find these posts?
Nicks last blog post..What would you like to see here?

Greg @ Mommy Daddy Blog June 19, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Oh “Mommy” is gonna love this! Her Big Bird picture is being mentioned on other blogs! Payback is sweeeet!
Thanks for the mention, Derek! I hope you had a wonderful Father’s Day!
Gregs last blog post..A Good Time To Shop For Halloween Costumes!

derek June 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Lol, after seeing the picture of you I got a good laugh seeing the payback picture.
I did have a great Father’s Day and hope you did as well!

JLow June 19, 2008 at 7:39 pm

Hi again,
I just want to share that this Speedlinking post is the only thing out of the ordinary that has happened to my blog.
And the readership visits doubled the same / next day on my blog!
Amazing!
I only hope the new readers keep coming back for more!
Thanks again Derek!

derek June 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm

John, that is great to hear! Hopefully some of the people stick around and become regulars over there as well. 🙂

Salman June 20, 2008 at 4:39 pm

that was heck of link bait..
thanks for all