Speedlinking – Tweets From Twitter

by derek on June 23, 2008 · 20 comments

Before leaving work for the day, I sent out a tweet asking if anyone had fun or interesting links to share for the next Speedlinking edition.
Unfortunately, my twitter following is only a couple of hundred people and I was not swamped with results like problogger would be after making a similar request. As a matter of fact, I could say it was an epic fail but I did find a few new interesting sites as a result so it wasn’t all bad.
1. Jeremy (jnbammer) pointed me towards a post from Louis Gray discussing his 10 beliefs on the web and blogging. Reading through these ten beliefs, I find numerous similarities to my own beliefs and many of them are helping communities grow and prosper across the Interweb.
2. Cory (agoodhusband) sent me a tweet with a link to his post on the ultimate guide to winning an argument with your spouse. Unfortunately, as Cory discovered, winning an argument isn’t always what you thought it would be.
The two posts above were the only specific links that I received from my request on twitter. However, after commenting to Jeremy that the response was lackluster, we sent a few messages back and forth and I discovered that he also authors a handful of other blogs. After taking a look at those blogs, I’ve decided to highlight a few of them here to round out this Speedlinking edition.
3. Over at Thoughts on Quotes, Jeremy recently discussed a quote from Blaise Pascal and asks are you a true friend to others? This is an interesting look at friendship and how it can be impacted when friends say things behind your back.
4. Struck in Traffic is a place to discuss politics, economics, entertainment and society. Something that caught my eye was this clip of Barack Obama on Jimmy Kimmel. One nice thing about seeing politicians on the late night shows is to get a small insight into their sense of humor, or lack thereof.
5. Jeremy also informed me that he is the Content Director over at Artistic Pursuit. This is an interactive community designed specifically to connect new and upcoming artists with fans. Looking through the gallery, I found one piece that I would love to have framed.
While the Tweets from Twitter edition of Speedlinking wasn’t quite what I had anticipated, I am happy to have found a few new sites to keep my eye on. In the future, be sure to follow me on Twitter so you can participate in future queries that will be shared in a post.

Jeremy (Discovering Dad et al) June 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Dude – thanks for the mentions man! I’m humbled. I love the post by Louis – he always makes me think!
Jeremy (Discovering Dad et al)s last blog post..Celebrate Dads – Father’s Day Contest Winners

derek June 24, 2008 at 12:31 am

Thanks for pointing me towards that site. This was the first that I have seen it and have already found a handful of interesting posts.

Nicole Price June 24, 2008 at 9:25 am

May I thank you Derek for pointing me in the right direction?

derek June 24, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Sure 😉

Daniel June 23, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Don’t give up on the tweeting for links thing. I had every intention in submitting a link, but was in meetings most of the day =\
Daniels last blog post..R.I.P. George Carlin

derek June 24, 2008 at 12:32 am

No worries there, I’ll continue to do it and will continue to work on building the network to include more people. Hopefully we will connect the next time around.

Ling June 24, 2008 at 1:11 am

I think you’ll find more of a response next time round, now that people know you actually intend to write about their sites. BTW, this may seem a bit stupid, but I’ve never used twitter., Planning to, but I’ve been really swamped last few months… Got any tips for how to go about doing it properly?

derek June 24, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Hmmm, tips on using twitter could be a separate post but I will say it is just like many other things with blogging – focus on building a relationship with people and the rest will follow. Be honest, be sincere, try to help other people, try not to toot your own horn too much, etc.

Eva White June 24, 2008 at 2:22 am

Enjoyed the 10 beliefs on blogging post.
Eva Whites last blog post..Car Insurance

Andrea June 24, 2008 at 7:37 am

I gave up on twitter, I just couldnt get into it.

derek June 24, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Given a choice between something like IM and twitter, I would prefer IM as I like the instant connection with someone that you don’t always get with twitter.
However, the nice thing with twitter is that as you build up a following of people, you will experience times when you tweet something and out of the blue someone contacts you about it. This can lead to new relationships or strengthening the bond with someone.
But there is a lot of fluff on twitter as well and if you are not active regularly you will miss a lot of things. I don’t spend a ton of time on there but it is fun to connect with people every once in awhile.

Nicole Price June 24, 2008 at 9:26 am

No, I do not want to get involved with tweeting but shall depend on posts like this to get proper directions.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Home Decor (Part II)

Nick@romandock dot com June 29, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I agree Nicole, I’ve heard a lot about it but have no desire to get involved. Although, I said the same thing about Facebook for the longest time and now spend quite a bit of time using it….I’ve only got time for so much though and I think Twitter would become a huge time consumer.
Nicks last blog post..8 Random Facts About Me

Fotobuch June 24, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Tweeting for links is good thing never stop doing it.All the best.bye

Damien Riley June 24, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Tweets may not be around much longer … check it out
Damien Rileys last blog post..Amazing Visions Blog Carnival

Steve@Free iPods June 25, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, what exactly is Twitter. How/what do you use it for?

Damien Riley June 25, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Short descriptors of what you’re doing at the moment.
Damien Rileys last blog post..Finding Peace Between the Things that Happen

Steve@Free iPods June 29, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Like “posting on blog”, “browsing internet from iPhone whilst sat on toilet”
That sort of thing?

Nick@romandock dot com June 30, 2008 at 11:51 pm

go to youtube and search for twitter whore…there’s two videos there that pretty much sum it up 😀
Nicks last blog post..Movie Review – Wanted

pauletet June 30, 2008 at 7:06 am

I salute you Derek for sharing new websites and introducing them as well to your community