Double Your Gas Mileage :: Hydrorunner

by derek on June 24, 2008 · 52 comments

With gas prices denting our pockets more and more (although recently it has leveled off a bit) people are pulling out all the stops to try and reduce their driving and/or improve their mileage.
Surely you have read the tips about how your driving habits can improve your mileage – drive slower, consolidate trips, maintain proper tire inflation, and more. While these tips can certainly improve your fuel efficiency, gains will most likely be minimal unless you are a reckless driver right now.
How would you like to double your gas mileage?
When a friend of mine mentioned a product that he recently saw that claims to do just that, my ears perked up. With a daily commute that is more than 120-miles, I would sure like to double my gas mileage even though I already get a respectable 30-33 miles per gallon.

Hydrorunner

Hydrorunner has developed a “Hydrogen On Demand” system that is controlled via a pre-programmed computer that can be used with any EFI internal combustion or diesel engine. The system uses an old technology, electrolysis, to create hydrogen without the need for any catalyst.
The hydrogen is then pulled into the intake manifold which results in a more efficient burn of the fuel. The flow of hydrogen is controlled by a computer that is specifically programmed for the make and model of your vehicle.

Hydrorunner

With this system, the only maintenance requirement is to add tap water on a periodic basis.
According to the company website, test results indicate that the Hydrorunner doubles gas mileage, increases the engines horsepower by 10%, the torque by 8%, and extends the life of the engine considerably. Results also showed a decrease in the need for oil changes.
At a cost of $3500 for gas engines, it certainly isn’t cheap – although they do offer a 100% 90-day money back guarantee and a 2-year parts & labor unlimited mileage warranty.
Is it worth it?
Hydrorunner claims that most clients are enjoying an increase of 75-125% in fuel economy. Using my commute as a basis and estimating an average cost of gas at $4/gal, an increase within this range would basically be cash-flow positive after two years. After the third year, I would have potentially saved between $1200-2500 in fuel costs if the product delivers.
But does it deliver?
As appealing as the claims of Hydrorunner might be, can we be sure that the product really works?
There is an article on Yahoo! Green discussing why water powered cars will never work that seems to discredit the claims from Hydrorunner.

There are a lot of variations on the water-powered car, but they’re all bogus. People who say that adding gasoline-generated hydrogen to gasoline increases your gas mileage by 30% are full of it. It doesn’t matter if they call it HHO or H20 or Brown’s gas. It doesn’t matter if they’re creating it with a battery or a flywheel. It doesn’t matter if they’ve postulated a sixth dimension from which flows seemingly endless amounts of energy.

Who is right?
Without a thorough understanding of the science behind everything, I am not sure who is telling us more of the truth.
As much as I would like to believe in the claims from Hydrorunner, I do have my doubts and at the going price I don’t plan to find out for myself any time soon – even though it would be a fun experiment given how much I drive.
Do you think Hydrorunner can double your mileage?
Images from Hydrorunner.com

Stephen June 24, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Buy a scooter? You’ll get 120 miles per gallon easy 😀
Stephens last blog post..What’s For Lunch Stephen?

derek June 25, 2008 at 4:00 pm

I’ve got a Harley – there is no way that I would ride a scooter in Chicago traffic though.

Daniel June 24, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Hippie! =P
Daniels last blog post..R.I.P. George Carlin

Ling@Uptake June 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm

From what I know, the problem is not whether it (by it I mean hydrogen fuelled vehicles in general, not this particular company) works or not. The problem is commercial production costs and long-term reliability.
How would you like to buy this thing and then find that the company doesn’t exist after a couple of years and no one else wants to help you with a replacement or repair? Unless someone comes up with a system which becomes so popular that other companies start producing it, you just can’t depend on it.

derek June 25, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Very true…that would certainly be a concern as to whether this company would even be around in 90 days if you tried to get your money back.

Eva White June 25, 2008 at 4:38 am

Isn’t the process dangerous ? I have heard of some cases where the engine blew up. Never verified it but did hear something of the kind.
Eva Whites last blog post..Charging Your Phone… Forget It!

derek June 25, 2008 at 4:02 pm

There could be some safety concerns, although the claims here are that the hydrogen is created on demand and you are not storing it in the car so the risks are mitigated.

Justin@Airsoft Guns June 25, 2008 at 5:32 am

This is highly intriguing, as I’ve been doing a lot of research in to water powered cars recently. Personally, I believe it, because I’ve read so many testimonials of people saying it works. Plus, it makes sense and has been around for awhile, and that one negative review doesn’t offer any proof that it doesn’t work except just saying, “It won’t work”. Not good enough for me.

derek June 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm

The friend that told me about this company said he had found some plans online on how to build your own crude version of this for a couple hundred dollars and people had claimed improvements of 20-50%.
It will be interesting to keep an eye on and see if there is any merit.

Nicole Price June 25, 2008 at 9:19 am

This must be among the oldest rip off stories of the world.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Home Decor (Part II)

Nick@romandock dot com June 25, 2008 at 1:58 pm

It sounds intruiging, but I would definitely be skeptical at this point…I think I’ll wait until there are more of them around to be sure it works and hopefully by then the price will come down a bit.

Andrea June 26, 2008 at 8:24 am

I agree, there are other products out there that say they give better gas mileage but they are just a hoax. So we will see what becomes of this!

Nick@romandock dot com June 29, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Like something I heard or read somewhere…if there were a magic formula that could be added to your fuel to get better mileage, wouldn’t all the gas companies be adding it to get everyone to switch to their brand? If there were something that could be added to your vehicle, wouldn’t the car manufacturers be adding it as a selling point for their vehicles?
That makes me really skeptical of stuff like this at this point.
Nicks last blog post..8 Random Facts About Me

derek June 30, 2008 at 11:05 am

Possibly, although the conspiracy theorist might say that the big car manufacturers want to squash these alternatives because it would be costly for them to alter their vehicle production.

Stephan Miller@Affiliate Marketing Blog June 25, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I actually read an article on the technology. The system adds hydrogen at the intake manifold, which reduces the amount of gasoline needed for combustion. I think it is actually good there are production models of this technology coming out. Do-it-yourselfer’s have been building working models for a while. But not everyone can put it together. At least it gives more access to everyone.

Steve@Free iPods June 25, 2008 at 3:29 pm

I don’t do enough miles to make it viable but could do with something to reduce the cost – we are just about to hit £5.50 a gallon ($11 roughly).

derek June 25, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Ouch! Every time I want to complain about the costs of gas here in the US, I think about the prices that other parts of the world have been paying for some time and it doesn’t seem so bad – although I still don’t like it one bit.

Steve@Free iPods June 29, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I guess the other factor is how much things like gas work out as a percentage of salary. That would be a true comparison of affordability.

Nick@romandock dot com June 29, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Be careful with thinking about prices in other parts of the world, I’ve heard of a few places where gas is rediculously cheap…if I’m not mistaken, I think I heard that it’s like 35 cents a gallon in like Venezuela or something.
Nicks last blog post..8 Random Facts About Me

david swad June 25, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I would not trust any 3rd party product that messes with my gas. if a car manafacturer wants to include it in to the car when they build it then thats great, otherwise i would not touch it.
But a motorcycle you get around 60-70 mpg

derek June 25, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Not my motorcycle – I’ve got one and with the after-market exhaust and other modifications, I am more in the 35-40 mpg range.

Marco June 26, 2008 at 5:38 am

Heh someone at least remembered that gas is in US still cheap compared to Europe for example(not saying here that people living in the US should be happy by it’s current price tho). As for Hydrorunner… must say I’m skeptical about products that ain’t popular enough to become standardized in some way. Might be worth a try but seems rather risky.
Marcos last blog post..How to Search Online

Dan@Nursery Furniture June 26, 2008 at 8:33 am

I’ve just paid £5.44 for a gallon of petrol over here in the UK – it’s atrocious. 3 years ago it was around £2 cheaper.
Whilst it would be beneficial in the long run to have this device to extend my MPG, it’s assuming that I keep the same car for the next 3 years. For older cars, 3 years is a long time, and with tax increasing on older cars, it may be simply unaffordable.
I did find it amusing that one of the companies who first produced a device to use oil instead of petrol have withdrawn the product – as it’s increasing petrol usage! More devices are being sold, meaning more oil is needed, meaning more tractors which in turn means more petrol and diesel!

Laser Dentist June 29, 2008 at 7:57 pm

OK, I read a little about this myself and an actual newspaper bought one and tested it out on their own cars, and they found it actually did start saving them money. So I think this thing really works. Its not a hoax.
Laser Dentists last blog post..Minneapolis laser dentist

Johnnie@Auto Insurance June 29, 2008 at 10:36 pm

You can’t say it “works” based off of one test from a newspaper company. Especially since the company could have been paid to publish a “positive” article. I really don’t complain too much about gas prices since i barely driver anymore. And to me, that’s the best way to save money, just drive less. You’ll be amazed at how much having a car makes the average person “lazy” when it comes to alternative methods of travel.

Nick@romandock dot com June 30, 2008 at 12:00 am

That’s true…every once in a while, I will challenge myself to not move my vehicles for a day or two….it’s amazing how many extra trips are cut out and what other alternative means (walking, bicycle, etc) can be discovered and how it might not be as much work or take as long as you think to walk or peddle somewhere rather than drive there.
Nicks last blog post..8 Random Facts About Me

pauletet June 30, 2008 at 6:59 am

This is good news especially nowadays that the fuel is sky rocket high.

Quit Smoking Laser July 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm

It’s also quite possible to use LPG on a diesel car. It’s proven technology and it works, but unfortunately it’s rarely used and I believe will void your car insurance as well. Shame as it increases your economy by around 40%
Quit Smoking Lasers last blog post..Things You Ought To Read About Low Level Quit Smoking Laser Therapies

Bedroom Furniture July 3, 2008 at 1:18 am

Who wouldn’t want to double their gas mileage? With gas prices going up, that would really make a big difference in your pocket. The question is does it really work? Has someone tried using Hydrorunner? But if you are someone who wants to save gas, would you spend $3,500 for its gas engine?

used ping golf clubs July 3, 2008 at 6:42 am

No way is this working. There has been a gazillon of products claiming the same thing, all were BS. Will this one be different? Highly unlikely. If their claims were true, this guys would be billionaires.

Marketing July 3, 2008 at 1:45 pm

120 miles, that’s some serious driving each day. The technology is coming, it has to, otherwise the world will be crippled without affordable unlimited power.

Steve@Free iPods July 3, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Isn’t the real issue here that we should find ways to halve the miles we do, rather than double the efficiency of the gas we use? Car sharing and improved public transport has to be the way to go.

Gail Adams July 7, 2008 at 9:17 pm

This problem is really out of hand already, gas price increase is continuous. We need to find some options and solutions. Auto Development should be an advantage but how come were like these? Walking, biking and a scooter will surely help.

John@garage floor covering July 8, 2008 at 8:47 am

To be honest i don’t think that hydrorunner is able to double your gas mileage it would be to cool 😀 The 3500$ would come back in time.

pauletet July 12, 2008 at 10:30 am

Interesting article Derek:)

Darryl July 18, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Looks really impressive, I like to see one in action and what kind of cars can this be implemented on.

Water For Gas - Tony July 30, 2008 at 7:10 am

I think that water to gas converters do help a little but whether they get the same amount of improvement that they claim is doubtfull.
But for the cost of converting your car, you would get back the cost over the course of a year or so. So it’s probably worth the effort.

Pays to live green August 9, 2008 at 2:00 pm

This seems like a great idea, but it still keeps us relying on gas. The only way we are going to go completely eco-friendly is to start using hydrogen or electric and switch our sources of energy such as coal to sources like solar and wind.
Pays to live greens last blog post..Donate to Green Community Projects

fuel additives August 14, 2008 at 10:16 am

i haven’t of this product in particular, but there are products on the market that really can help increase your gas mileage. The whole water thing though…I’m not sure about that one. I guess if they can get more testing done on it and more proof we’ll see what happens in the coming years. It would be awesome if it really worked though!

Australian Muscle Cars August 17, 2008 at 7:42 am

Alternatives like these could have existed a long time ago. But trust the big oil companies to buy out all the initial concepts and test cars.

Used Cars Australia August 25, 2008 at 5:38 am

Well why would they not, with the existence of this sort of technology, they would probably run out of business. Well, even with the Hybrid and other engine conversion technology. The only concern I have with this new things is that there could be a not so good effect for the engine. I mean maintaining a car ain’t cheap, what more for fixing it.

Tom@Australian Muscle Cars August 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm

If your looking to cut your petrol bill or gas bill do want i’ve done. I bought myself a motorcycle and my petrol bill is insignificant in comparison to that of a car.

Alex September 1, 2008 at 11:01 am

Obviously, that driving habits can improve your car mileage. As for that device, I don’t think that it can help your auto to save any considerable amount of gas. Maybe you will save you 5% of your gas expenditures, but can influence on car dynamics or smth like that. From my point of view it is a risky device and I won’t use it for my car -)

judith November 11, 2008 at 9:35 am

I love my car, it’s a Mazda MX5 convertible. We bought it in June and have spent the last 6 months looking after it liks a new baby. Sad I know, but it’s the first new car we’ve had in 12 years. The old one was showing it’s age, so we took the plunge despite the credit crunch and got a new one.
Living in a rural community I learned a long time ago to make sure I plan my journeys in advance so as not to waste time or fuel. I do believe the best way to optimize fuel consumption is by this kind of self regulation. Our neighbour is up and down the lane several times a day, he must have his own oil well!

Erik@Muscle Car Videos May 27, 2009 at 7:19 am

I think you can save more money by not buying the thing. Though it does seem like a very good invention, I just can’t see spending that much cash. I think just buying some aftermarket parts to help your engine breath can help improve gas mileage. Some aftermarket parts I’m talking about are a K&N filter, BBK intake, nice set of headers, or free flowing catback exhaust.
I’ve been just watching where I spend my money now, I have stopped spending money on video games, junk food, and other wasted sources. I love my car and can’t see buying a better economical car because of high gas prices. I drive a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6

Max@Mazda Parts June 19, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I’ve read before that things like this are just scams. While it sounds believable, I’m pretty sure they are just making money of the fact that everybody is money conscious right now, and trying to save money anyway they can. I wouldn’t make the purchase until I’ve seen with my own eyes the improvements it promises to make.

here July 10, 2010 at 10:36 am

The HYDRO Runner is an incredible invention. But I’m not sure that the hydrogen generator has a life span. I’m making a decision to have my car installed lpg and petrol bi-fuel or hydro-runner.

Ignition Lock Cylinder July 19, 2010 at 4:58 am

I gas up my car with oil-fuel instead of diesel, it costs exactly half of what gas and diesel cost, and it gets the same mileage.

John Vander Reyden@LPG Conversions Melbourne February 8, 2011 at 6:10 am

Basic physics still applies. By using energy to convert water to hydrogen
and oxygen and then burn it again and derive more energy than it took to
create the gas in the first place sounds like alchemy and not science.
If the energy to create the hydrogen was free and clean like solar energy it
will work but if you are using the same energy you claim to be saving ie the
fuel you run your car on it doesn’t make sense. You burn/use petrol, to make
hydrogen, to burn to save petrol. And none of it is wasted in heat either!
Be careful these people might believe their own thinking.

David May 10, 2011 at 7:46 pm

“Basic physics still applies.”
-You have no idea what your talking about, this is powered by the BATTERY, the battery is charged when the car the alternator turns, regardless of how much energy is being used by the battery the recharge rate is the same. Meaning it doesn’t burn more gas or magically create fuel

Mielkman May 14, 2011 at 6:30 am

problem! You can’t sell or tax the water!

Glenn April 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

As for Hydrorunner… must say I’m skeptical about products that ain’t popular enough to become standardized in some way. Might be worth a try but seems rather risky….Thanks