Speedlinking – A Look At Google Reader

by derek on July 14, 2008 · 20 comments

With everything that has been going on away from the Interweb the last two weeks, I’ve been seriously neglecting my list of RSS subscriptions in Google Reader and had well over 1000 posts waiting to be read.
Unfortunately, many of them were skimmed over as I tried to catch up but the following posts caught my eye (well, at least before my eyes glazed over.)
1. Last month we talked about whether or not anyone cares about Google PageRank. Over at Postcards From the Funny Farm, Damien recently shared his thoughts about using a self-rating system for his blog. When you’re reaching your own personal goals with your blog, does it really matter how someone else rates your blog?
2. As I am working on my experiment with keyword sniping, I’ve gained a better appreciation for the work that freelance writers do on a regular basis. One such writer that I really respect, Michael Kwan from Beyond the Rhetoric recently asked: can freelance writers read for pleasure? While I don’t consider myself a freelance writer, I am a blogger and can say that I do read for pleasure – although most people think the books I read for pleasure should be classified as torture.
3. As bad as I thought it was when I received a violation notice from the Illinois Tollway Authority, Dave Pitlyuk from DavidPitlyuk.com received an interesting piece of mail the other day that included a nice picture of his Viper in the mail. While I have to agree it is a pretty nice picture, I think the use of speed cameras is used primarily as a source of revenue rather than as a means of providing safer streets. As mentioned in Dave’s post, how do you dispute the accuracy of the supposed violation? As many of us are well aware, technology is not perfect and is prone to error.
4. My blogging buddy Danielle from MsDanielle.com recently took a trip to her Motherland. She is back now and has a few interesting observations about Japan that make it sound like a great place to visit. Being a huge fan of sushi, I was very jealous to hear about Danielle’s epic sushi adventure – although having an In-n-Out burger as a consolation prize wouldn’t be too bad eitehr. Stay tuned over the next few days as Danielle shares more stories and pictures of her trip.
5. Being an owner of a Harley Softail, I had to laugh when I saw that Stephen Fung from Stephen Fung dot Net recently bought himself a Yamaha C3 scooter to get around town. But you know what, considering that the scooter gets over 100 miles per gallon, Stephen is laughing all the way to the bank with his savings on fuel costs. That doesn’t mean we cannot all point and laugh at him though, after all his scooter is also known as a Giggle in Europe.
Thanks for joining me on this quick look through a few posts from Google Reader. It feels great to finally be caught up on my RSS feed reading.
In order to make sure that you don’t miss any posts from this blog, please make sure that you have signed up for the RSS feed.

Stephen July 14, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I “giggle” every time I fly by a gas station 😆
Stephens last blog post..Dot Com Pho – The Insult [Ed] Edition…

derek July 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Scooter != “fly by” 😉

Stephen July 14, 2008 at 11:13 pm

It’s all relative. The gas station doesn’t move.
Stephens last blog post..Dot Com Pho – The Insult [Ed] Edition…

Ling@Triphow July 14, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Reading for pleasure is something which every writer and blogger should follow. I usually don’t write about something in the news unless I enjoyed reading about it. I figure if I like it, so will my readers.
Lings last blog post..Orbitz Summer Promo – 30% Off!

Eva White July 15, 2008 at 1:01 am

i like the idea of the self rating system. Its good for people suffering from stress over page ranks.

Larry @ Commercial Lighting July 15, 2008 at 6:18 am

I think the more I read the more I can write. Gets my creative juices flowing and the rest is history.

Andrea July 15, 2008 at 7:27 am

I still havent gotten my speeding ticket yet, i wonder if i will get one.

Nicole Price July 15, 2008 at 9:30 am

The self ranking system makes eminent sense for someone who cannot be bothered what anyone else thinks, as long as the blog is not monetized. It it is, then, the obvious solution is to get the page rank up!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Camcorders: Deals and Discounts

Nick@romandock dot com July 15, 2008 at 1:36 pm

That is always the problem with taking time away from the computer. Heck, even just a couple of days away puts me nearly 100 posts behind…I do however, make sure to read each and every one of them though! Shame on you for skimming!!!
Nicks last blog post..CTCSS and PL Tones

derek July 15, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I’ll read them all if I am only a few hundred behind, but I was more than 1000 posts behind and would have a hard time catching up.

Nick@romandock dot com July 16, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I guess we’ll forgive you…oh, and I agree that it was a great picture of that Viper!
Nicks last blog post..Enkay Is Giving Away Some Market Leverage Stuff

ms danielle July 15, 2008 at 1:42 pm

hey derek, how’s it going? thanks for the mention. reminds me i’m going to have to do a speed linking post soon too. i need to catch up on what is going on in the sphere!! 🙂

derek July 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Things are going well. BTW, congratulations on being named to NxE’s list of the most influential female bloggers!

SomeAudioGuy July 15, 2008 at 7:54 pm

LOL!
My reader gets SLAMMED. I barely have time to skim it anymore. Speaking of, I should really go in and clean it out.
I try to stay away from news stories, but I will run commentary on things that affect my readers that they might not catch. Most of my audience is tied to voice over acting, but I’ll write about the music industry, as everything that happens there will eventually impact film, radio and tv…
I’m terrified of bikes and scooters in LA traffic, but I might just have to schnag one…
SomeAudioGuys last blog post..I’m a "Do Follow" Blogger! Your Comments are Now Google Visible!

Andrea July 16, 2008 at 8:16 pm

btw, that is a great picture of dave’s viper.
we had something similar happen to us with our toll tags. when we had bought my husband’s new car, we just stuck his ol toll tag in it. well we didnt think to call the toll tag center and tell them of the car change. so when he tried to use it, it took a beautiful picture of his vette and we were issued a ticket because the liscense plate numbers/letters didnt match. Luckily wehn i called up the center to explain what we did and what happened, they were very understanding and dismissed the violation and updated our account. so yay!

Nick@romandock dot com July 16, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Did you get to keep a copy of the picture?
Nicks last blog post..Enkay Is Giving Away Some Market Leverage Stuff

Andrea July 17, 2008 at 7:19 am

Yeah we did. It was part of the violation notice when we recieved it in the mail. In fact, we framed it and put it in the living room….it makes for interesting conversation.

Business Services July 21, 2008 at 5:33 am

Nice post !!

Lyndsay Cabildo January 26, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I checked all that out and some are funny, some informative, so all in all…cool!
Lyndsay Cabildos last blog post..Cork Wedge Shoes VS Stilettos