$177,563 Worth Of Fun With Photoshop

by derek on July 16, 2008 · 19 comments

Even if you are not gifted with the skills to create outstanding images with Photoshop, which is certainly how I would describe myself, that doesn’t mean you should stop yourself from having some fun.
As you might have guessed by now, the post revealing my AdSense check that was “worth” well into the six figures is one such example of me trying to have a little fun with Photoshop.
Just to clarify for everyone, I have never received an AdSense check for four figures let alone six.
A few months back I had seen Shoemoney discussing his AdSense check (his was actually legit) and also read a post from the Super Affiliate Zac Johnson discussing how he made over $800,000 in four months.
Those posts gave me the idea to snap a few pictures of an AdSense check and see what I could create using my amateur Photoshop skills. As I mentioned in the post, I really had been sitting on that image for a few months as I just never got around to posting it. When I finally decided to post the image, I thought that I would have a little fun with the post.
At the end of the post, I included some fine print that indicated you should be sure to read the entire post for all of the details. In the very last paragraph of the post, I mentioned that regular readers have seen my tips and tricks but that I would disclose the secret to all of the new readers.
Did you notice the “secret” linked to a post about my Photoshop skills?
Rather than come right out and say that the AdSense check was a fake (well, the check was real but I doctored the numbers), I thought it would be fun to give everyone a clue that it was fake and see what would happen. Based on the responses, I see that some people quickly noticed my Photoshop hack but that others were offering their congratulations and asking how it was done.
While I am certainly no expert with Photoshop, I still enjoy spending some time every now and then tinkering around to see what I can come up with. If you’re interested in having some fun of your own with Photoshop, be sure to take a look at Michael Kwan’s blog to see how you can win a big box of cool stuff.
So what did you think of my AdSense check?

Greg @ Mommy Daddy Blog July 16, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhh *smacks head*
I so knew it was ‘shopped 🙂
No seriously, I did…

Matt July 16, 2008 at 10:19 pm

You could tell it was Photoshopped because of the random noise behind the amount (in both places).

Kelvin Kao@Puppet Kaos July 16, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Oh.
See, I didn’t even bother clicking on the picture to see the amount.
Kelvin Kaos last blog post..Digital TV Converter Box Installed!

Kelvin Kao@Puppet Kaos July 17, 2008 at 10:46 am

Update: Just posted up my blogging earnings.

Nick@romandock dot com July 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm

At first, I was somewhat shocked because it didn’t seem to mesh with what you have been saying in monthly reports and such so knew something was up. Then, I followed your link to the other post and figured it out right away (as evidenced by my comment) 😀
It was pretty fun though, especially reading some of the comments that were left!
Nicks last blog post..Enkay Is Giving Away Some Market Leverage Stuff

London Cosmetic Dentist July 17, 2008 at 12:26 am

Nice post..i use to play with photoshop too and i find it very fun and easy to use. Theres no need of good skills or whatever to be able to use it well. You just have to get used to it and make some practice and in one or two weeks you can already be an expert. Thanks for this post. Very interesting and keep it up!

Larry @ Commercial Lighting July 17, 2008 at 6:29 am

Wow you got me good there!!!

Andrea July 17, 2008 at 7:15 am

[insert Homer Simpson noise here] DOH! You got me good.

Ling@Uptake July 17, 2008 at 8:57 am

Photoshop is an evil software. Makes you do wicked things. Its got so many faciities, that you’re forced to fool around with it. I was trying to build a simple banner a couple of years back, and I must have spent nearly two days just trying out all the stuff, including rounded edges (which took me more than a day and a lotta googling).

Tyler Ingram July 17, 2008 at 9:19 am

Actually at first glance is isn’t a bad Photochop job! I meant if you’re not looking for something like noise etc you can fool a bunch of people anyway.
Now if I could only make enough on AdSense to see my first check from Google!
Tyler Ingrams last blog post..WordCamp Fraser Valley 2008

Nicole Price July 17, 2008 at 11:26 am

Evil, simply evil. Great gag though. Please come up with more such frequently.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Make Your Party a Roaring Success

MarketingDeviant July 17, 2008 at 6:02 pm

That’s a pretty good photoshopped check 😀
MarketingDeviants last blog post..Win your Employees by Being Humane

Steve@Free iPods July 17, 2008 at 6:34 pm

There was just something about the post that made me think you were up to a trick or two, even before I saw the image. Just a gut feeling.
Good bit of photoshoping though!

bob @ ipod repair July 18, 2008 at 10:56 am

WOW nice work … I thought it was real for sure.

Justin@Airsoft Guns July 18, 2008 at 11:26 am

I read this post before I read the post with the check in it, but if I had read your other post first I would have guessed the check was fake, mainly because I’ve kept track of your earnings and something that big would not fit with what you have posted. Now that I look at it closely, I can tell it is “shopped”.

pauletet July 20, 2008 at 12:56 am

What!!! My fault , i didnt take a closer look on it. Thats how i trust you Derek in terms of web marketing.:)

kit July 22, 2008 at 4:43 pm

but… if you get good enough at photoshop, maybe you can start CASHING checks with six figures. mwuahahhahahahah!

judith October 30, 2008 at 6:11 am

That is really good, very convincing. I’m always scared of getting sucked into things on the internet that are ‘too good to be true’. Seeing what can be done with Photoshop makes me even more scared.
The old adage “if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck” might not be true for much longer.