Q&A Round 3 :: The Answers

by derek on July 18, 2008 · 26 comments

Steve@Free iPods asks:

Will you sell me your blog for $100 ? 😛
Derek: Nope…but you do raise an interesting question. Would I ever sell my blog? This blog would be hard to sell with my name as the domain and all, but I would certainly consider selling one of my other blogs if the price was right.

Eva White asks:

What do you find most difficult when you decide to write a post?
Derek: Lately, the most difficult part has been deciding what to actually write. Once I have a topic selected, it is just a matter of sitting down to write and that is something that I enjoy doing.
One habit that I really need to get back into the habit of doing is carrying around my little notebook to record post ideas whenever I have them. I’ve been bad about doing this recently and that is why I often sit at the computer wondering what I should write about for the next post.

Susan asks:

I agree, sometimes I find it hard to read for pleasure 🙁
Derek: Lol, I believe this comment was made on the wrong post as I know the most recent Speedlinking post discussed the idea of writers/bloggers reading for pleasure. Not wanting to leave Susan without a response, I just wanted to say that the hardest part about reading for pleasure in my life is just finding the time to do it.

Nick@romandock dot com asks:

Hey, it’s very possible that I will be in your area in the next month…wanna do lunch or supper?
Derek: Absolutely, shoot me an email with the details of when you will be in the area and whereabouts you will be.

pauletet asks:

As an online worker how do you manage yourself in order to avoid being bored and burn out?
Derek: That is an interesting question, although I cannot really say for sure that I manage myself much at all.
My wife claims that I am sick, that there is something wrong with me because I can work on a computer all day at the day job and then come home and spend all night on the computer. It isn’t that I am online gaming or anything either, almost all of my online time is spent working or trying to build relationships/community with other people.
When people say that you should find your passion, being involved with online work is my passion. That being said, there are times when I need a break and for some reason I have that ability to do it. Coupled with my passion for being online is a strong urge to be extremely lazy, so I think that helps balance out my work ethic.

Nicole Price asks:

You are a long distance commuter. How are you coping with the increased fuel costs?
Derek: Ugh, fuel costs are insane and have really added to my monthly expenses. As you said, my commute is 65 miles each way to my office and even though my car gets 30-33 miles per gallon, that still hurts when gas is $4.20+ per gallon.
Fortunately, my day job is extremely flexible. While I have had a four-day work week since starting this job, I have since been complimenting that with at least one or two additional days working from home. That can eliminate one fill-up at the gas station which is equivalent to roughly $50 in savings each week.
In addition, I use a rewards credit card for all of my fuel purchases so that helps offset the price a little bit – although I would gladly forfeit that benefit for a lower fuel cost.

Eva White asks:

How do you balance work and family?
Derek: I’m going to take the easy way out here. Over at The Man Page, I discuss work life balance quite a bit so I am going to point you towards a few posts that might help explain things:

Andrea asks:

What is your favorite sport to watch? Who is your favorite team within your fav sport?
Derek: Oooh, fun question as I love sports! If I could only pick one sport to watch it would have to be NFL football, although NHL hockey would be a close second – particularly now that the Chicago Blackhawks are entertaining again. With football being my favorite sport and living in the Chicago area, naturally my favorite time is none other than Da Bears!

Larry @ Commercial Lighting asks:

Is logging your full time job? What or work do you do?
Derek: Logging, like the guys on the show Ax Men? Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Since I assume you were asking if blogging was my full-time job, my answer is no – although I am working towards making that a reality.
Currently, my full-time job is as a software developer. My official title is Senior Software Engineer. Almost all of my coding is done in Java right now, although every now and then I mix in a little basic web work.

Andrea asks:

How do you go about choosing what topics you blog about?
Derek: Hey, didn’t you already ask a question? As I mentioned in my answer to Eva earlier, choosing the topics to blog about has been one of the hardest things for me recently.
Across all of my blogs though, I often write posts that are directly tied to my life experiences. If there is something that catches my attention or I experience something that I think might interest, impact, or influence others, I blog about it.
Every now and then I like to ask the readers what they want to see as well, as I am sure people don’t always want to read about my life experiences. So the door is always open for people to suggest a topic if they want to get my opinion on it.

Larry @ Commercial Lighting asks:

What is your favorite SEO blog?
Derek: To be quite honest, I really don’t read many SEO blogs at all. One of my most regular reads of the blogs that could be classified as SEO is Shoemoney, even though he always says he is not an SEO blog.
The other SEO blog that I would say that I turn to the most would be Aaron Wall’s SEOBook blog. That guy is a freakin genius in my opinion and has a wealth of information that he shares on his blog.

Ling@Uptake asks:

Give me the low-down on Wall-E. Worth the ticket?
Derek: Haven’t seen it. We did just see Journey To The Center Of The Earth and I thought that was worth the ticket, at least for the cost of an afternoon matinee.

Ling@Triphow July 19, 2008 at 12:10 am

Well, thanks for answering the question anyway. I did see Wall-E, and its well worth the price. Best thing I liked about it was the way Wall-E goes around moaning ‘Eva.. Evaaa’. Really funny, and kinda sad too. You’ll know what I mean if you see it.
Lings last blog post..Ghost Flights & Bikini Check-Ins

derek July 21, 2008 at 11:47 am

The kids haven’t really shown an interest in going to see this movie. Maybe if we have a rainy afternoon but otherwise I expect that this will wait until it comes out on DVD.

Nick@romandock dot com July 19, 2008 at 12:47 am

I’ll do that when I have some more concrete details…
Nicks last blog post..10,000 Spam Comments – A Milestone

derek July 21, 2008 at 11:47 am

Sounds good, just let me know.

Nicole Price July 19, 2008 at 9:28 am

This question answer post has been quite fascinating. The personality behind the blog is slowly emerging!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Discounted T Shirts

derek July 21, 2008 at 11:47 am

I’m glad that you have enjoyed it and are getting a sense of the personality behind the blog, hopefully it is good, lol.

bob @ ipod repair July 19, 2008 at 10:46 am

Logging…lol this q & a is a cool section. Are you going to do it every month?

Andrea July 21, 2008 at 7:34 am

i think this is a good idea, a monthly q&a.

derek July 21, 2008 at 11:48 am

Yeah, I am thinking it will be a regular feature every month. Look for the next edition to start on the 2nd Friday of August.

pauletet July 19, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Have any plans of putting up a new blogsite for expansion?

derek July 21, 2008 at 11:49 am

I’m currently working on a site to leverage the concept behind my recent post about keyword sniping. I’ll probably be posting about that soon.

Dan Freakley July 20, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Very intersting read lol. I also wonder if there are plans of putting a new blogsite up for expansion?! Do tell.
Dan Freakleys last blog post..Most popular on Alister Cameron

Andrea July 21, 2008 at 7:35 am

thanks for answering the questions! sorry if i asked more than one, as i come up with questions…i just ask. lets me know a lil bit more about you without sounding creepy/stalkerish. :p

derek July 21, 2008 at 11:51 am

Lol, you’re more than welcome to ask multiple questions as it is fun answering them. Don’t worry about sounding creepy/stalkerish, you’ll always be welcome here. 🙂

bob @ ipod repair July 21, 2008 at 12:39 pm

referring to the sell me your blog question…
what would you say your blog is worth.

derek July 21, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Well, with a blog like this that is named after myself, the value to someone else probably isn’t there quite as much as if I had a branded site. One of the common valuations that I see is 12 months of blog earnings, so that would put this blog in the neighborhood of $3600 when I break apart my monthly earnings between this blog and my finance blog.

Linnea July 21, 2008 at 1:09 pm

I would never sell any site for just $100.

Eva White July 21, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Thanks for answering both my questions. Loved the article about making time for your children.
Eva Whites last blog post..Global Warming: Is it real?

derek July 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm

You’re welcome, thanks for asking the questions and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the article about making time for your children.

Eva White July 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I have another question, what would you consider the right price for a dommain that you developed and wanted to sell?
Eva Whites last blog post..Global Warming: Is it real?

derek July 21, 2008 at 10:14 pm

I guess it would really depend on how you classify a domain that has been developed. Is it a site that has loads of traffic, backlinks, etc? It is just a domain that has been around for quite some time?
In the end, any site is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So while you might think it holds value, other people might not agree. I’ve got a few domains that I thought were good but didn’t get any interest when trying to sell, such as ProfitableAdsense.com

Eva White July 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm

I wanted to clarify that the dommain name would not be the one with your own name in it…
Eva Whites last blog post..Global Warming: Is it real?

Lindsay July 22, 2008 at 2:33 am

Heh, I can’t imagine selling the domain that is my name. Unlike you, I haven’t done anything with mine yet, but it’s the principle. :0
Also, glad to hear you are not a full-time logger yet. That is hard and dangerous work… though they do burn a lot of calories so you could eat anything you want… 😉

Steve@Free iPods July 24, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I’m loving these Q & A’s Derek, you talk about anticipation and that’s what we get.
I asked my question kind of tongue in cheek but often wondered if my sites would be worth anything. Someone suggested I tried Sedo to sell them but I’m not quite ready yet!

kouji@haiku poems examples October 12, 2008 at 5:26 am

hmmm… will check out aaron wall’s blog now…
koujis last blog post..leaves nature haiku poem