Speedlinking – Random Thoughts

by derek on July 21, 2008 · 15 comments

One thing that I have really noticed since doing these weekly Speedlinking posts every Monday is how quickly the next Monday always arrives. It seems that Monday comes even faster when you have a busy weekend.
This past weekend kicked off with another Q&A session, included a BBQ with friends, and wrapped up helping a neighbor construct a gigantic koi pond in his backyard. Just like my weekend, this edition of Speedlinking includes a little bit of everything and I hope you enjoy.
1. Lin Burress from Telling It Like It Is is currently on a “staycation” but provided a handful of interesting posts for people to check out. One of those posts was about the idea that you are what you wear. It is unfortunate but people are judged by their appearance on a constant basis, which is why you should keep this in mind when you are getting dressed each day.
2. Over at A Good Husband, Cory Huff has put a spin on Wendy Piersall’s series Monday Motivation and is focusing on weekly motivation to plan a little more romance in his marriage with his series titled Monday Morning Amour. Lately, I need some sort of motivation just to get out of bed on Monday mornings.
3. While working on my keyword sniping experiment, I found an interesting article from Shawn over at DIY Dollars about his efforts to make money with ShareASale. Since I have been working on my own scripts to interface with LinkShare, ShareASale, and other affiliate sites, I can say that the script/plugin that Shawn mentions sounds very appealing!
4. It has been discussed here before but I will say it again – writing things down increases your chances of success by a considerable margin. Whether it be writing down your goals or your financial plan to eliminate debt. Over at Dietriffic, Melanie explains how the same principles apply to losing weight as well. The act of keeping a food diary can double weight loss. Don’t believe it? Try it.
5. Chris Garrett, over at ChrisG.com, recently approached the idea of blogging from an angle that you might not have seen recently when he discussed why you should not blog. Blogging is certainly not for everyone, as you can tell by the number of blogs that have been abandoned. In the end, it really boils down to whether or not you are interested in communicating and building relationships with a community…are you?
Hopefully you enjoyed this diverse collection of links today, as there are quite a few different topics of interest presented in these fine posts.
If you have a post that you think should be featured in an upcoming Speedlinking edition, be sure to send me a tweet with the details of your post.

Eva White July 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Personally I love reading so its no pain for me. In fact given the choice between a book and the tele I would choose the book even as a child.
Eva Whites last blog post..Global Warming: Is it real?

Eva White July 21, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Keeping a food diary was a good idea. I am always trying to shed those extra pounds and I think this will help.
Eva Whites last blog post..Global Warming: Is it real?

Eva White July 21, 2008 at 10:16 pm

I am hoping my husband gets the hint after reading Monday Morning Amour. Am sharing it with him right now.
Eva Whites last blog post..Global Warming: Is it real?

Ling@Uptake July 22, 2008 at 2:49 am

The most interesting and fun part about blogging for me is where you build relationships with other bloggers and readers of your own blog. Without that, anything you read or write is just so much more junk on the internet.
Lings last blog post..New York City Zoos, Aquariums and Gardens

Lin Burress July 22, 2008 at 5:25 am

Hi Derek, my Staycation is now officially over and I’m back to work today (waaah). What a nice surprise to wake up this morning and find your speedlinking post that includes my discussion about “you are what you wear” listed here. I’ll definitely need to go check out the post about keeping a food diary since being on vacation or even staycation can cause the addition of a few pounds to take back off. Thanks for the link Derek!
Lin Burresss last blog post..What I Did On My Summer Staycation

Larry @ Commercial Lighting July 22, 2008 at 6:11 am

Sounds like a busy weekend. Sounds like you are a good neighbor.

Nicole Price July 22, 2008 at 10:21 am

Derek, someone visiting your blog once had commented that a short pencil is better than a long memory and that is what the diary does. I carry one all the time and without it will be lost.
I shall indeed start the diary when I have to worry about losing some weight!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Greetings for Free

Nicole Price July 22, 2008 at 10:24 am

At good husband, curiosity took me there, it would appear that it is all for men! He however has a nice touch to his blog where he invites casual visitors to start to comment!
Perhaps I should include one like that in my blog too!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Greetings for Free

D.J July 22, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Interesting…

Nick@romandock dot com July 22, 2008 at 8:07 pm

As busy as I have been lately, I am going to have to pass on clicking through to any of these :S
Nicks last blog post..Sunday Snapshots – 007

Justin@Airsoft Guns July 23, 2008 at 11:43 am

In regards to writing things down, that is really great to increase your success in stuff. I used to spend too much money, but when I started writing down my daily expenses and revenues, my savings improved DRASTICALLY, possibly over 400%. It works!

John July 24, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Writing things down is huge. I finally got around to setting weekly goals in terms of my blogs and it has made a huge difference – I’m writing more, commenting more and in general just participating more, which is paying off as I measure links and revenue. You don’t get what you don’t measure!

Steve@Free iPods July 24, 2008 at 4:27 pm

My problem with writing is that I can be a bit too picky and end up changing the text too often, drives me crazy.
Is it Thursday already…. 🙂

New Aquarium Blog November 3, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Derek does have an interesting point
New Aquarium Blogs last blog post..What kinds of aquarium species are Angelfish ah

Brian@Descartes@If You Write It October 30, 2010 at 5:35 am

Good blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information is well written.
Have a nice day!