Where Did You Come From, Where Did You Go :: July 2008

by derek on July 28, 2008 · 21 comments

The month of July has certainly been full of excitement; from discussions about sniping to a visit from the police. Add in a few contests, one for the phsyically gifted and one for the literary gifted, and you have a recipe for success.
As we close the chapter on another month of 2008, it is time to share some well deserved recognition with the top ten blogs that referred the most traffic – where did you come from – and the top ten most visited posts for the month – where did you go.

Top 10 Referring Sites

1. Courtney Tuttle
  2. Sparkplugging
  3. Geekologie
  4. More Merchant
  5. Enkay Blog
  6. 45n5.com
  7. Link Building Bible
  8. Romandock dot com
  9. Leo Chiang
  10. Beyond the Rhetoric

As a note of clarification, referring sites listed here do not include the organic results (Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.) or the larger social sites (StumbleUpon, twitter, MyBlogLog, etc.) that dominate the top ten referring sites. This list is intended to reward the individual site owners that direct traffic to this blog.
So what was everyone reading once they arrived?
Great question!
Here are the top 10 visited articles from the past month, according to the statistics from Google Analytics.

Top 10 Visited Posts

1. How To Record A Cellphone Conversation
  2. 100 Push Up Challenge :: Join Me And Win
  3. Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
  4. Famous People Named Derek
  5. Tutorial: How To Add AdSense Block Above Your First Post
  6. Double Your Gas Mileage :: Hydrorunner
  7. Hey Shoemoney, Us Little Guys Can Do It Too
  8. SEO Tools :: Website Keyword Suggestions
  9. Vegas Baby! Win Free Pass To BlogWorld Expo
  10. Can You Record A Cellphone Conversation?

It is interesting to note that this is the first month that I can remember that did not include the Aftermath of Exploding CD post in the top ten visited posts. There was a fair amount of turnover this month, as there are five new posts cracking the list.
Of the five new posts this month, three of them were written in July so there is a healthy mix of traffic finding their way to new posts as well as old.
Thanks to everyone that has been an active part of the community by visiting the site, sharing your comments, or sending traffic this way. It is great to see the involvement from everyone!
Reminder, it is not too late to throw your hat into either of the current contests:

Enkay Blog July 28, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for the recognition. I’m glad that you have seen some traffic from my blog. Get ready for some more 🙂
Enkay Blogs last blog post..Page Rank Updated

Michael Kwan July 28, 2008 at 9:14 pm

I love how I keep sneaking into tenth place. 🙂
Michael Kwans last blog post..How to Introduce a Blog Post

Leo July 28, 2008 at 9:18 pm

I love how I keep sneaking in ahead of you 😉

Ling@Triphow July 28, 2008 at 9:46 pm

That cellphone post keeps popping up in this list every month. But the exploding CD was more fun (not for you.. but for the readers)

Eva White July 29, 2008 at 2:10 am

Congrats to all you top site owners. Guess I have to try harder.
Eva Whites last blog post..Acne Treatment

Larry @ Commercial Lighting July 29, 2008 at 7:00 am

Derek,
Do you follow what your pagerank history? I noticed that this site has a PR of 3. The reason I ask is google just made a recent change to the PR toolbar and I want to know if you noticed a change or not.

Larry @ Commercial Lighting July 29, 2008 at 7:01 am

One more…
If you don’t mind me asking…what percentage of your traffic is from organic searches?

derek July 29, 2008 at 8:23 am

Regarding your earlier question, I have followed my PR history. The recent bump up to PR3 comes after I was knocked down to PR2 from the previous PR4. When the site first started, I went from unranked to PR4 on the first update.
Organic searches account for approximately 45% of the traffic over the last month, primarily from Google with Yahoo being second.

Joe July 29, 2008 at 8:23 am

Cool Thanks!

Nicole Price July 29, 2008 at 10:01 am

Derek, the pleasure has been mutual. It has been nice visiting your blog and commenting and getting your responses as well.

Nick@romandock dot com July 29, 2008 at 11:50 am

Wow! I had no idea I’d make it onto your top referring sites list! That alone is pretty cool, thanks for the recognition….to make it even better, I was ahead of both Leo and BTR!!! Hopefully I can send some more traffic your way next month 😀
Nicks last blog post..Randy Pausch Has Passed Away

Larry @ Commercial Lighting July 29, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for the insight. This most recent pr update was kinda weird.

UB Funkeys July 29, 2008 at 3:15 pm

That is a great idea to highlight the most popular posts – It just got me to click through to some of them and I guess that is the point!
UB Funkeyss last blog post..U.B. Funkeys – Fallout

Steve@Free iPods July 29, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Interesting that the most viewed post was about recording conversations. Are there some budding PIs out there?

derek July 29, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Actually, I’d guess that there are a lot of people in unhappy relationships as some of the search results give insight into why people are trying to record conversations.

Steve@Free iPods July 30, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Not thought of that and thankfully I am not one of those people. I guess if you even get to the point of thinking of recording, there is trouble ahead.

Andrea July 30, 2008 at 7:43 am

I always find it interesting where people come from. Hopefully one day, my blog will be up there! 🙂

Susan July 30, 2008 at 10:09 am

I love Courtney’s site. It’s grown so much in the past year so it’s great to see how you’ve got Courtney’s site listed as #1 on your highest referred site.
Susans last blog post..Let it Snow

Steve@Free iPods July 30, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Just headed over and made my first post on Court’s, cheers for the heads up.

pauletet August 3, 2008 at 12:42 am