Speedlinking – July's Most Vocal

by derek on August 4, 2008 · 26 comments

Given our recent discussion about achieving blog milestones, it is fitting that the month of July also brought the highest number of comments in any one month period. Before we get to the specific number of comments, I thought it would be worthwhile to take a look at the posts that generated the most dialog throughout the month.
Here are the three most commented posts from the month of July:

For the month of July, there was a total of 616 comments posted to the blog, which averages out to slightly more than 29 comments per post. The numbers from last month came in at an average of 26 comments per post, so there has been a slight increase in dialog on a per post basis.
So who was responsible for most of those comments?

Top Commentators July 2008

1. Steve Elliot from Free iPods secured the top spot with 33 comments. For those that are interested in how a site like this works, stay tuned as I am still trying to coordinate a guest post with Steve where he can talk about his site in more detail.
2. Andrea from According to Andrea technically tied for the top spot with 33 comments but was edged by Steve due to the ORDER BY clause of my query (sucks I know, but that is how the query is constructed). Whether she is listed first or second will soon be forgotten when you head on over and take a look at her secret…and it has nothing to do with her husband wiping his balls either!
3. Nick from romandock dot com dropped a few spots this month even though he shared his thoughts 32 times. Not too long ago, Nick reached his own blogging milestone – 10,000 spam comments. It is also nice to see that Nick has started a regular feature, which he calls Sunday Snapshots. Love the idea, although I noticed the blog has been quiet for awhile so I hope everything is good with Nick.
4. Larry from Commercial Lighting makes his debut on the list with a healthy 32 comments. With an eye on saving money, it is always a good idea to check out the Current Specials to look for any deals. After changing a lot of our light bulbs to CFLs, I could use a special on some 3-way CFL bulbs. Even though I didn’t see any this time, welcome to the list Larry!
5. Rounding out the top five commentators with 29 comments is Nicole Price from Great Prices Here. The other day Nicole talked about custom t-shirts and how to go about making your own. Maybe I need to design my own custom shirt to send out to the top commentators, as a little offline advertising never hurts! What do you guys think?
Four out of the five commentators are repeat visitors from last month, with the fifth being the debut appearance from Larry. Apparently these four community members have a lock on the top spots, unless someone is game for knocking them off in August!
With the month of July bringing in record numbers, in terms of website traffic as well as comments, I have to thank all of you for your participation. This is just the beginning too, as we are building a head of steam and show no signs of slowing down in the coming months. As always, don’t hesitate to give me a shout if you have any questions or need help with anything.
Thanks everyone!

Ling@Uptake August 5, 2008 at 12:11 am

Congratulations to the top commentators. Which, as usual, does not include me. Ah well.. I’ll keep trying, though. 🙂

JLow August 5, 2008 at 12:41 am

Starting a new (full time employment) role (transfer, not new job) had taken a toll not just on my commenting rounds, but also on new posts on my own blog…
That, and the 7 month old boy’s overnight feeding means we seek sleep anytime we can! No more staying up late to catch up on the goss on blogosphere!
Sigh….

derek August 5, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I hear ya! It is getting harder for me to check things during the day on lunch or whatever, which then means I try to cram in more at night.

Andreas Ostheimer August 5, 2008 at 3:35 am

So many comments. Wow. Now you have one more and a reader of your “milestone” article 😉
Andreas
Andreas Ostheimers last blog post..Eric Moussambani, der einsame Schwimmer

derek August 5, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Welcome to the community! Look forward to hearing more from you.

olly@Guitar Tab Books August 5, 2008 at 4:19 am

Well it would sure be nice to be in the top spot and what a nice way of rewarding your top commentors by writing such a nice post!
Great stuff

Larry @ Commercial Lighting August 5, 2008 at 6:36 am

I would ike more info on getting the free Play Station 3. Although I feel its to good to be true. But I’d love to be proved wrong!!

derek August 5, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Lol, me too. Hopefully we will learn more in a guest post but the little that I looked into it, most of the cool prizes require you to get other people to sign up as well.
So how about I sign up first, all of you sign up under me and I’ll let you know if I get the cool prize? 😉

Futon-Matt August 5, 2008 at 6:47 am

Hmm, well done top five. This gives me something to shoot for this month.
🙂

Nick@romandock dot com August 5, 2008 at 9:50 am

Shucks, I missed it….I guess I’ll have to try and regain the top spot next month.
I know my site has been quiet, but it’s more just because I have been busy and enjoying the weather rather than posting, I’m hoping to be better next month!
Nicks last blog post..Housekeeping – Aaack It’s August Already!

derek August 5, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Cool, that is what I was thinking but didn’t know for sure. Now…stop slacking off! 😉

Nick@romandock dot com August 7, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Yeah yeah, I’m trying…it’s just really hard to stare at the computer when it’s so nice outside and I stare at the computer all day at work (at least I get some commenting done from work)
Nicks last blog post..Housekeeping – Aaack It’s August Already!

Steve@Free iPods August 5, 2008 at 11:29 am

Keep giving us the great content and we’ll keep posting Derek.
I will get working on the guest post and send you something in the next week or so. Am privileged to get the opportunity (assuming you like what I write :).

derek August 5, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Great…looking forward to it!

Jesse August 5, 2008 at 11:54 am

Again, I can’t say enough about the generosity I have see lately.
Most people are very stingy with links but you are giving mad link love on your main page to readers that have been commenting alot.
Its a double edged sword I see… It gives people more incentive to comment (something you want) and it gives your readers good link love.
I am really considering doing this myself soon on my blogs.

derek August 5, 2008 at 3:33 pm

You know what, my approach re: the link love is that I am going to as generous as possible with it and share with the people that take the time to make this site a part of their day.
If that means that I am punished by some arbitrary algorithm then so be it. After all, for me anyways, this blog is more about the relationships and sense of community than it is the ranking.

Steve@Free iPods August 7, 2008 at 1:55 pm

I personally like the change to names as well as anchor texts, it gives a much more personal feel.

Marie @ Neon Signs August 5, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Wow you have quite the community here… I look forward to being a member

Nicole Price August 5, 2008 at 11:54 pm

What do I think about the custom t-shirts? Obvious answer right? Go all out for it.
Thanks for the special mentions. Glad to be here and commenting. I do enjoy doing it.

Larry @ Commercial Lighting August 6, 2008 at 6:52 am
Steve@Free iPods August 7, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Derek, one quick question for you. If I wanted to changed the anchor text attaching to my name, would I lose the number of posts that I had made in the month to date?

Steve@Free iPods August 10, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Any view on this Derek?
Have mailed a drafted article. I’m not a writer by nature so will be interested to hear what you think!

Sarika @ Funny T shirts August 7, 2008 at 11:08 pm

This is inspiring; how many people comment on your posts. Great community atmosphere you have here on your blog!

pauletet August 10, 2008 at 12:32 am

Congrats to the top commentators:) Too bad i always fall out of the list:)

Eva White August 11, 2008 at 1:08 am

Congrats to all the top commentators. I will make it there yet!
Eva Whites last blog post..The Best Dressed Celeb Couples

decor guy August 20, 2008 at 5:01 am

Hey thanks! Any more tips?