100 Push Up Challenge :: Week 3 Recap

by derek on August 7, 2008 · 23 comments

Help…I’ve fallen and I cannot get up!
While sharing the Week Two Recap I had commented that the third week had me concerned; well, that concern was justified as Week Three is kicking my butt.
Not only has it been extremely challenging to complete each workout, but I have found that I need more than the indicated amount of rest in between each set. Technically the program indicates that it is acceptable to take a longer rest if required, but it kind of feels like cheating.

Week Three :: The Program

The increase between the second week and the third week has been a real challenge, with each workout containing approximately 40-50 more push ups than the corresponding workout from Week Two.
Here is what the program calls for during Week Three:
Day One

• 25 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • 17 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • 17 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • 15 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • Max (at least 25 push ups)

Day Two

• 27 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • 19 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • 19 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • 15 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • Max (at least 25 push ups)

Day Three

• 30 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • 22 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • 22 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • 20 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • Max (at least 27 push ups)

Also, you will remember that prior to starting the Week Three workout there was an exhaustion test that was to be completed.

Week Three :: The Results

While I am writing this recap today, I have to tell you upfront that I have not yet completed the Week Three workouts. As a matter of fact, I just completed the Day Two workout today. Due to the exhaustion test and a day spent at the race track this weekend, I did not follow my plan and have only completed two of the three workouts.
The first item on the agenda was the exhaustion test after the second week. After completing 32 push ups during the max of the Day Two workout, I thought the exhaustion test would see me complete at least 40 push ups. Unfortunately, I was only able to complete 35 push ups during the exhaustion test.
Looking at the chart for Week Three, I am still aligned with the most challenging column of workouts. And let me tell you that they are challenging!
The first workout of the week went relatively smoothly, at least until the final max set. The workout calls for a minimum of 25 push ups but when I reached 20, my muscles were screaming and I could not push myself back up. Not wanting to give up – I cannot believe I am about to tell everyone this, but what the heck – I resorted to doing “girly” push ups from my knees for the last five repetitions. But hey, at least I did the 25.
Similar to my experience in Week Two, the second workout of the week (which I just did tonight) actually felt much easier. Even though there were more push ups required, I was able to complete the entire workout and finish the max set using standard push ups.
As I mentioned earlier, I have yet to complete the third and final workout for the week but I anticipate it being quite a challenge.

Week Four :: Looking Ahead

Depending on how the last workout of the week turns out, I may very well be repeating the third week rather than moving on to the fourth week. So far I have not been able to exceed the minimum requirement for the max set and haven’t felt very confident with these workouts.
However, Week Four really doesn’t increase too dramatically compared to Week Three so I may give it a shot and see how I can do before deciding to repeat this week.
In the comments last week, Ling had asked me what my plans were following this contest and whether I would continue doing the push ups. While I will likely continue to do push ups, I doubt that I will try to maintain the ability to do 100 consecutive push ups.
Instead, I am planning that this will motivate me to resume the weight lifting that I had been doing previously. By the end of each push up workout, my chest and tricep muscles are begging for mercy – which actually feels fantastic. That is a feeling that I miss, believe it or not, and will take the gains from this push up program and apply them to my weight lifting.
Did you finish your Week Three workout?
Let me know how you’re progressing!

Ling@Uptake August 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Neat. I’m no expert, but common sense suggests you shouldn’t suddenly stop exercising, especially since you’re going at it so strong. Maybe you can phase it out over a month or two, and the start weight lifting.

Marie @ Neon Signs August 8, 2008 at 8:53 am

Thats a good idea. You should segway into something related.

derek August 8, 2008 at 9:20 am

Correct, I don’t plan to suddenly stop as I will continue with the push ups (just probably not 150 or so each time) and transition into the weight lifting again.

Nicole Price August 8, 2008 at 12:51 am

No Derek, I did not. I am glad that I did not even start after reading about your current status. I am however glad that you intend reverting to your weight training routine. I am sticking with the old trusted fitness routines that have kept me reasonably fit the last few years!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Discount DVDs

derek August 8, 2008 at 9:20 am

Nothing wrong with that…what type of fitness routines are you using?

olly@Boss Effects Pedals August 8, 2008 at 3:29 am

A couple of years back I started doing regular exersise. I was amazed at how much better I felt.
The problem came about when I stopped – once I broke my routine for even a couple of days I lost the motivation to start again, just kept putting it off and here I am two years on and I still have not done it!
I wish you the best of luck!

derek August 8, 2008 at 9:22 am

Thanks! You’re absolutely correct that taking a break from regular exercise can make it difficult to get back into gear. My friend Ryan and I had been lifting together a couple of times per week, then my schedule was making it difficult for awhile and we haven’t lifted together since.

Larry @ Commercial Lighting August 8, 2008 at 10:51 am

Im still hanging in there. I’ve got to tell you I feel pretty good. I can feel the added strength. I like doing them before bed to help get me tired.

Charlie on PA Tpk@Nobody asked me, but... August 8, 2008 at 12:42 pm

My week 3 is in the can, also!
After reaching the 6th week, I don’t think I’ll frequently do 100 push-ups, say on a daily basis. I do think cranking out 50-60 on a daily basis isn’t an unreasonable goal (again, after completing the challenge).
I sweat profusely, which means I probably won’t look too ‘neat’ after 100, and since I do these in the office before most people come in means I will want to avoid a frequent messy look.
So we’ll see what happens.
Charlie on PA Tpks last blog post..The Challenge continues…

stylegirl73 August 8, 2008 at 3:16 pm

That’s so wonderful! Keep up the good work…
Work hard and you’ll do great.
We don’t work out/ lol. So for now we’ll just stick with selling. We have a cute lil shop w Gwyneth Paltrow wearing our Crush on Obama buttons in Harper’s Bazaar. Stop by our Stylegirl73 shop.

Bible Kids Crafts August 8, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I started this program with my husband we are also on week 3. This has been the most challenging week yet. I can’t see the 100 coming soon.

Mike Farho August 8, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Hey you’re doing awesome Charlie and Derek!
I’m really getting a lot of improvement from the hundredpushups.com program. I finished week 4 today. Seems to be about the same as week 3, go for it!
Here’s my 3rd week
Mon. 25, 17, 17, 15, 15 = 89
Wed. 22, 17, 17, 15, 25 = 96
Fri. 25, 19, 19, 17, 24 = 104
You can see all my workouts at my Fit.Farho.net fitness blog. I’ve been weight lifting 1-3 times a week for the last 4 years. so this was a plateau buster for me. We’re looking at starting a pull up challenge next. Want to join us?
Mike Farhos last blog post..Hundred Pushups Week 4 Day 3

derek August 8, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Lol, as long as the pull up program only calls for a max of 1 repetition, count me in! 🙂

techskills August 9, 2008 at 5:04 am

Uh, do half push ups for girls count? lol
techskillss last blog post..Paralegal Training: What’s Hot about a Paralegal Career?

Futon-Matt August 9, 2008 at 7:20 am

Congrats Derek, at least you’ve kept it going till week four!

Justin@Airsoft Guns August 9, 2008 at 7:31 am

You’re doing great! I keep not doing this for some reason, I really, REALLY need to start soon.

Andy August 9, 2008 at 5:12 pm

It is really important to do this steadily and continue day by day. I have started challenges like this myself but the problem is that i stop doing it after a while. keep up the good work.
Andys last blog post..On Producing Music

pauletet August 10, 2008 at 12:27 am

I bet you got muscles improvement:) Hope to see your pic at the end of the program.

Steve@Free iPods August 10, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Fantastic that you are still going at week 3. Do you think the fact that you are reporting the outcome to us publicly helps motivate you to keep going?

Py August 10, 2008 at 4:47 pm

These are some good advices but i should add something.
If you are preparing for a competition or something like that… with a month (or something) before is better that the last set of push ups to be mot 10 or 20 or 30…ot be as much as you can. It will help you to burn all your remaining fat from your muscle. (don’t forget: you need a healthy diet too)
Pys last blog post..About Death Knights and Hunter Expotic Pets

Eva White August 11, 2008 at 1:16 am

Wow your persistance is inspiring, maybe I need to look into restarting my old fitness routine as well.
Eva Whites last blog post..The Best Dressed Celeb Couples

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 8:03 am

Sticking with it eh? Good job, Derek! *NTS: make video of me doing 100 push ups*