Speedlinking – Educate Yourself

by derek on August 11, 2008 · 16 comments

With summer vacation dwindling down for many kids, I thought it would be fun to dedicate this edition of Speedlinking to continuing our own education. Through the following posts you can further your education as not only a blogger but as a member of everyday society.
1. The learning process as a blogger never really ends, as you can always learn how to do things in a new way or learn how to use a new tool. With so much information to digest, wouldn’t it be great to have a handy resource to use as a reference? Fortunately for all of us, Chris Brogan has provided an outstanding list of his best advice about blogging that is well worth the read.
2. As you continue to improve as a blogger, there is no doubt that you will also be learning about social media. While there is a plethora of information about social media on the Interweb, every now and then it is worthwhile to learn while unplugged. The next time you are at the book store, or the library, browse for one of these 5 books on corporate social media. Even though these books focus on corporate social media, there are sure to be plenty of lessons that you can apply to your own blog and/or business.
3. Now that your head is swimming with new knowledge on blogging and social media, we are going to switch gears to a topic that is rather serious yet many people (including myself) are lacking in their understanding. Our friend Andrea, over at According to Andrea, recently shared an insightful look at Hepatitis C and what you need to know. Unfortunately, many of us do not educate ourselves on topics such as this until it has impacted our lives. Andrea, thank you for bringing this information to my attention.
4. Do you think you are better than other people? Do you want someone less educated than yourself making decisions that impact your life? Do other people think you are full of yourself? Over at Beyond the Rhetoric, Michael Kwan recently discussed the quandary of elitism as we look for our leaders to be better equipped than us to make the difficult decisions but want them to be “one of us” as well.
5. Some people really need to learn their limitations and stay clear of certain activities. Since this post is about educating ourselves and one another, I would like to offer some advice to Michael “Kwanye” Kwan: Stay away from two-wheeled vehicles! While I welcome advice from all of you on what I should stay away from, I’d like to note that I have already learned my lesson on why I need to avoid cooking in the kitchen. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ling@Triphow August 11, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Don’t want to start a political argument here, but elitism is a very relative concept – who you call an elitist depends on where you are looking from. And looking for leaders who you can drink a beer with is mostly responsible for things like the Iraq War and the Katrina response debacle.
Lings last blog post..Truman Show aka The Mona Lisa Suite Hotel

Andrea August 12, 2008 at 7:41 am

doooooont get me started on Katrina….

Futon-Matt August 12, 2008 at 6:58 am

Triphow, great comment. People don’t often take their perspective into account while looking at others.

Andrea August 12, 2008 at 7:40 am

Thanks for giving some link love to my article on Hep C, derek. I do hope others will read it and become informed on it. ๐Ÿ™‚

derek August 12, 2008 at 11:22 pm

You’re welcome, it has been given a stumble as well in hopes of putting it in front of more people.

Ash August 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I’m reading the FBML Essentials book right now as I’m gearing up for some Facebook apps. I can’t read fiction books or history books for fun. But computer, marketing, and business book are my vice.
In fact, I just finished a post that will publish later this week about keeping your writing fresh and some websites I found that help me to avoid writer’s block.
Ashs last blog post..Iโ€™m Speaking At WordCamp Utah

derek August 12, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Lol, you sound similar to me in that the books I read for enjoyment are often technical or financial.

Olly@Guitar Tuition Books August 12, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I think life is one bog lesson – I am into music and have found that once you learn one thing it opens up the doors to many more questions or things to learn.
I have found this to be the case with maintaining a blog and websites!

Jake August 12, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Ah very good Olly. What I have found to be true the more that I learn, the more there is to learn.
Jakes last blog post..Is Online Advertising Growing

Stephen August 12, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Oh Kwanye ๐Ÿ˜†
Good thing Dot com RockBand this week is a little more up his alley. Hopefully he doesn’t get a drum stick to the head or something ๐Ÿ˜‰
Stephens last blog post..Looking for a Seat? Why Not Have it Find You!

derek August 12, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Or throw the drum stick through the TV – unless you are playing at his house and then it is no big deal.
I’ve got $5 on Kwanye hurting himself (or damaging something) in some fashion. What do you say? ๐Ÿ™‚

Nicole Price August 13, 2008 at 1:02 am

You are on. I would however like to see Stephen’s response as well, and if at all from you again on the lessons that you learned in the kitchen!
Nicole Prices last blog post..How To Save Effectively

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 8:15 am

True story: I was playing Rock Band over at a friends house and i was on drums. I was showing off and tried to twirl my stick and instead made it fly at the tv and hit it. LOL weeeeeeee!!!

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 8:13 am

That first picture on Kwan’s post is classic!

Jonas@catering August 18, 2008 at 8:45 am

I thought the first resource was the best you mentioned here. Can’t believe I hadn’t found that Chris Brogan post before. Thanks.
Jonass last blog post..21 frรฅgor du borde frรฅga din catering firma.