100 Push Up Challenge :: Week 4 Recap

by derek on August 14, 2008 · 23 comments

When we left off last week, I had not yet completed the Week Three workout but had noted that it had been much tougher than the previous week.
So tough in fact that I had doubts whether or not I would move ahead to the fourth week.
After completing the final workout from the third week, I did decide to proceed with the Week Four workout. Although, as I will tell you in a moment, the Week Five workout is going to have to wait at least another week.

Week Four :: The Program

Even though my performance during the third week was somewhat disappointing, as I was not able to exceed the minimum recommendation during the max set, I decided to push myself into Week Four as I felt it wasn’t that much of an increase compared to Week Three.
Here is what the program calls for during Week Four:
Day One

• 27 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • 20 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • 20 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • 17 push ups followed by 60 seconds rest
  • Max (at least 27 push ups)

Day Two

• 27 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • 21 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • 21 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • 18 push ups followed by 90 seconds rest
  • Max (at least 25 push ups)

Day Three

• 30 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • 22 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • 22 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • 20 push ups followed by 120 seconds rest
  • Max (at least 29 push ups)

In addition to the grueling workouts above, Week Four calls for another exhaustion test upon completion of the three days.

Week Four :: The Results

In what seems to be a trend (which I need to break this week), I have not yet completed the third workout for Week Four. That workout was scheduled for tonight; however, I had a dinner meeting after work and am not prepared to attempt the Day Three workout tonight.
So was moving ahead to Week Four a good idea?
Overall, I would have to say yes. The first two workouts of Week Four followed the same path as last week. The first four sets were completed without too much difficulty but the max set left me completely spent. Another similarity to last week is that the second workout of the week felt easier than the first.
At this point, I am not sure if this is something that is purely mental and that I have psyched myself into believing the Day Two workout is going to be easier, or that the additional rest in between sets makes that much of a difference. Whatever the reason, I seem to perform much better on the second workout.
While I have yet to complete the last workout for this week, I know what to expect as the workout is essentially the same as the last workout from the third week. The only difference is that the minimum recommendation for the max set has increased by two repetitions; otherwise the two workouts are identical.

Week Five Four :: Looking Ahead

Due to the fact that the end of the fourth week calls for an exhaustion test and considering that I have not been able to exceed the minimum expectations, I am going to repeat the Week Four workout rather than move on to the fifth week.
The Week Five workout takes an interesting turn on the progression towards 100 consecutive push ups. The first workout of the week adds a considerable number of push ups compared to the previous week and the max set requires a minimum of 40 push ups. In addition, as the week progresses the number of push ups per set goes down considerably but so does the rest in between sets.
It would seem that the shift to less repetitions with a shorter rest is a preparation for being able to do a large number of repetitions in one continuous set without any rest.
That is something that I am not prepared for right now and feel it is in my best interest to repeat the Week Four workout before tackling that challenge. The goal is to repeat each workout and surpass the minimum number of repetitions on the max set. Assuming that I am able to achieve that goal, I will feel better prepared for the challenge that lies ahead in Week Five.
How did you do with your Week Four workout?
As a reminder, it is not too late to enter the 100 Push Up Challenge Contest. As long as you start the program prior to the deadline and follow the contest rules, your entry will be considered valid.
No more excuses, get started today!

Ling@Uptake August 15, 2008 at 1:05 am

I dunno what to say, except that that’s a heck of a lot of pushups. You must be seeing push ups even in your dreams. 🙂

derek August 15, 2008 at 8:43 am

I think those should really be called nightmares! 🙂

denver August 15, 2008 at 1:31 am

Wow,it is my first time to hear that 100push up challenge contest.I am going to try it out.thanks.

Futon-Matt August 15, 2008 at 7:14 am

Hey Derek,
Your next contest should involve a one rep, five minute down squat thrust, and five minutes back up. We do those in the dojo occasionally and even though it doesn’t sound like much, but you’ll really feel it if you can actually get through one.

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 8:23 am

this sounds like a good idea. i should add this into my routine.

derek August 15, 2008 at 8:45 am

If I understand what you are describing, that sounds brutal! When I was lifting more regularly, we used to do slow reps where the descent would last in the neighborhood of 10 seconds and that was brutal. Plus, I remember doing an exercise in school where you lean against the wall in a position like you are sitting on a chair and hold as long as possible, painful!

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 8:24 am

FEEEL THE BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRNN! lol
want me to mention what my routine is when i work out? you may pass out or something. :p

derek August 15, 2008 at 8:45 am

Well…let’s hear it!

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 12:58 pm

on a typical workout at the gym:
stretch for about 10-15 mins.
walk on the treadmill for about 20 mins, slowly progressing to a fast walk.
Run for about 35 mins.
Walk it out for about 10 mins.
Hop on cycle and go about that for about another hour, maybe 45 mins. I switch between standing and sitting while cycling. cooldown for 10 mins.
I then do leg lunges around the gym x 3.
I do an endless amount of sit up and push ups. (usually do this til i am bored)
Then onto lifting weights. I am not into looking bulky, just toned.
One day i will work out upper body and the next day, i work out lower body. I switch between the two during the week.
then to close and cool down from everything, i stretch for about 15 mins.
I do that Mon-Sat. I rest on Sun.

Scott August 15, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Wow, that sounds excessive. Do you live to workout or workout to live?
Scotts last blog post..100 Push Up Challenge

derek August 15, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Andrea, thanks for sharing your workout routine! As I mentioned to you earlier, I would probably be throwing in the towel by the 20 minutes of walking as cardio is not something I enjoy.
I admire the dedication that you have to it though, as I can appreciate how difficult it is to maintain something like that on a long-term basis. With that said, I do think you’re crazy though! 😉

Nicole Price August 15, 2008 at 8:28 am

No thanks Derek, despite your urging, I shall take a bye. You seem to be doing alright. I shall be content wishing you all the best.
Nicole Prices last blog post..My Tryst With Hard Drive Recovery

Andrea August 15, 2008 at 3:31 pm

@scott, I dont think its excessive! No really, i dont! i love to work out!
@derek, thanks! crazy is what I do best!

pauletet August 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm

I know you can make it 🙂 Good luck!

Amaterashu August 17, 2008 at 9:14 am

wow.. 100?? really??
I’d rather blogging then push up 100 times 🙂

Ryan August 18, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I’d really like to make fun of the fact that you are repeating Week 4.
But alas, I’m repeating Week 3!

derek August 18, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Lol, I figured that you had quit completely by now!

latif@Affiliate Marketing August 19, 2008 at 2:20 am

Wow, thats really hard. Hope you will make it, Good luck. I am sweating myself.lol
latifs last blog post..Making Money Online with Free Games and videos Downloads

Justin@Airsoft Guns August 19, 2008 at 7:56 am

You’re doing a great job! I just started yesterday, and it worked out. It’s going to get really hard a few weeks in, though.

Jesse@child safety services August 19, 2008 at 8:39 am

i’m telling you man, start doing the 300 workout… it will kill you!
Jesses last blog post..Federal Amber Alert System

latif@Affiliate Marketing August 27, 2008 at 1:11 pm

this is an interesting group push-ups, not only work but fun too..
latifs last blog post..Making Money Online with Free Games and videos Downloads

Raul@precor November 25, 2008 at 9:06 pm

You are amazing. i wish i could do 1/10 of what you are doing. you are inspiring!!