Where Did You Come From, Where Did You Go :: August 2008

by derek on August 25, 2008 · 23 comments

Summer might be winding down but things are not slowing down here. The month of August featured discussions about making and spending money (which contributed to the bottom line in my efforts to blog for money) as well as winning free money. Thrown into the mix was another edition of our Q&A and an exciting announcement about BlogWorld.
With end of the month (as well as the summer) quickly approaching, it is time to share some well deserved recognition with the top ten blogs that referred the most traffic – where did you come from – and the top ten most visited posts for the month – where did you go.

Top 10 Referring Sites

1. More Merchant
  2. Courtney Tuttle
  3. Geekologie
  4. Beyond the Rhetoric
  5. 45n5.com
  6. Link Building Bible
  7. Sparkplugging
  8. MsDanielle
  9. Randa Clay
  10. David Pitlyuk

The month of August brought about some shuffling among the top ten referring sites as well as the introduction of a few new sites. One of the more impressive moves was from our good friend Kwanye, moving up from the bottom of the list to the 4th position.
As a note of clarification, referring sites listed here do not include the organic results (Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc.) or the larger social sites (StumbleUpon, twitter, MyBlogLog, etc.) that dominate the top ten referring sites. This list is intended to reward the individual site owners that direct traffic to this blog.
Seeing where everyone came from is only part of the equation, as it is also worthwhile to investigate what everyone was reading when they arrived. Monitoring the most visited posts can give you a good indication as to what type of content strikes a chord with your readers.
Here are the top 10 visited articles from the past month, according to the statistics from Google Analytics.

Top 10 Visited Posts

1. How To Record A Cellphone Conversation
  2. Tutorial: How To Add AdSense Block Above Your First Post
  3. Being A Better Husband
  4. Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
  5. 100 Push Up Challenge :: Join Me And Win
  6. Photoshop: WTF? John Chow And Kwanye Scandal
  7. A Winning Proposition :: Help Me Win And You Can Win Too
  8. Can You Record A Cellphone Conversation?
  9. Illinois Tollway Authority :: Embrace Technology, Please!
  10. Double Your Gas Mileage :: Hydrorunner

This month has brought about a change from previous months that had a healthy mix of current posts and older posts, as there is only one post from the month of August that cracked the top ten most visited posts. However, that doesn’t mean that the posts from the previous month haven’t been up to par but rather that some of the older posts have received more than the usual amount of traffic.
It was interesting to see that my post on how to record a cell phone conversation has secured the top spot for the second month in a row. When I wrote that post, I had no idea as to the volume of search traffic that it would generate but it has consistently brought in a nice volume of traffic.
As much fun as it is to look at what content receives the most number of visitors, I also like to hear from you regarding the content that you enjoyed the most. So don’t be bashful, let me know what you did like as well as what you didn’t like.
Thanks to everyone that has been an active part of the community. The time that you take to stop by and visit the site, share your comments, or send traffic this way is greatly appreciated.

Ling@Triphow August 25, 2008 at 10:07 pm

I confess I find the push-up posts a bit boring. Actually, boring may be a strong word, more like its difficult to keep track of all the numbers and the schedule. I gave up on the 2nd week. The Q&A posts on the other hand, are fascinating.
Lings last blog post..Confessions – Frugal Traveler & Lilo

Jon@Custom T-Shirts August 26, 2008 at 9:17 am

I find that the easiest way of keeping track of the numbers is in a spreadsheet. I use Google Docs and it’s working pretty well for me.

derek August 26, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Ling, thanks for being honest that the push up posts have been boring for you. The good news is that the series is just about over.

Michael Kwan August 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Whoa, that is quite a jump for me. You ought to pay me for that kind of traffic referral. 🙂
Michael Kwans last blog post..Tracking Site Activity with Vanguard Tracking

Andrea August 26, 2008 at 7:22 am

Good luck with that, I already tried to get him to part with some of his money.

derek August 26, 2008 at 5:13 pm

You were paid with that extra link! 😉

Susan August 25, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Getting ‘referred’ traffic, is great isn’t it? It’s great that you’ve highlighted those sites.
Susans last blog post..News Theme Pro

derek August 26, 2008 at 5:13 pm

It is great, I’ll take as much as I can get too!

olly@Boss Effects Pedals August 26, 2008 at 4:51 am

Nice to hear your blog is growing.
I think it’s great when you make a post that turns out to be popular – I have a similar post on one of my blogs. I wrote it, not thinking much about it. This post receives 90% of traffic to the blog!
If only I could find out the secret of a successful post!

derek August 26, 2008 at 5:15 pm

No doubt, I’ve had posts that were almost never a post hit the front page of digg or bring in thousands of visitors from StumbleUpon.
It is certainly possible to learn and adapt to a posting style that is popular with the social media sites, although that style isn’t always popular with the every day readers.

Andrea August 26, 2008 at 7:23 am

you know, i havent even thought about reading the How to record a cell phone conversation. Maybe i should and see what the big deal is all about. Should be interesting.

derek August 26, 2008 at 5:16 pm

The interesting thing is actually looking at the search results that bring people to those posts, as that gives an idea into why people are trying to figure out how to do it.

Tyler Ingram August 26, 2008 at 7:57 am

Derek you got that Cotton Eyed Joe song stuck in my head 🙁

Andrea August 26, 2008 at 9:20 am

LOL, OMG i just now got it. man I am slooooowww today! crap, now its stuck in my head now.

derek August 26, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Lol, I never even put the title of these posts together with that song until you mentioned it. Fortunately I don’t know the words well enough for it to get stuck in my head too.

Nicole Price August 26, 2008 at 9:11 am

Nice way to say thanks Derek. Visiting your blog is a pleasure always. Thank you for making it so interesting as well.

Jake August 26, 2008 at 10:03 am

Thanks Derek! Keep up the good work.
Jakes last blog post..17 Credit Card Offers

johnyb (old domains) August 27, 2008 at 10:44 am

what is the percentage of organic traffics vs backlinks?
Do You make any use of these informations to bring more traffics to the page, like to position better on some keywords?

Eva White August 28, 2008 at 1:50 am

Wow this time i share your surprise about where Aug went. Have been quite busy this month and time just slipped right by.

actuaries August 31, 2008 at 11:53 am

your post made me remember of that song, hehe it’s called “The Buffalo Soldier”… 😉

Cesar@Webmaster Blog September 3, 2008 at 2:01 am

It’s great that you list the top refferer site. I will maybe link to you too if my new blog get more visitors.
Cesars last blog post..Google Chrome is available to download

Neil@PS3 November 28, 2008 at 3:34 am

I think the whole year is flying by. I really like the Q&A posts. I think they are a really good read and have been taking time out especially to read them.