Subwoofer Masturbation And Cool T-Shirts

by derek on August 27, 2008 · 26 comments

Looking at the title of this post, you might think that this is my submission for Darren Rowse’s Group Writing Project on Killer Titles but it’s not.
No, the title of this post is simply a couple of random observations that I wanted to discuss tonight.
Subwoofer Masturbation
To be honest, I’m not quite sure what to say about this other than it immediately makes me think of the scene in Howard Stern’s movie Private Parts with the woman straddling the subwoofer while Howard hums into the microphone. If you haven’t seen this movie, I recommend that you check it out.
So why am I bringing up subwoofer masturbation?
Well, other than the fact that I am wondering if anyone has really done it, I discovered this phrase as a suggestion in my HitTail statistics. Not only can you find some interesting topics to blog about by analyzing your long tail keywords within HitTail, you can also find some rather humorous long tail keywords.
How someone found their way to my site with these keywords is beyond me, as I don’t think I have ever even used either word within a post.
While this example is a little out there, I do believe that taking advantage of the HitTail keyword information is something that I should be doing more often. There is a wealth of information related to the search terms that people have used to find their way to this site, as well as suggestions for keywords that can be targeted to bring in more traffic.
So if you see a random mention of something like my Reflection poem, you can assume that I am targeting one of those suggestions.
Cool T-Shirts
The second random observation that has been on my mind today is the fact that I am quickly becoming addicted to threadless.com and their really cool t-shirts.
Unfortunately for me, I just ordered a handful of shirts and now they are running a sale where all of their shirts are $12. If you’re interested to see which shirts I recently bought, here you go:

The really cool thing about Threadless is that the t-shirt designs are created by the artists of the Threadless community. Every Monday there are new designs released and I have found myself checking the site first thing on Monday mornings to see what is new.
In addition to the above, Threadless is a company right near my back yard and it is always a good thing when you find a local company that you enjoy doing business with and can support from time to time.
Random Observations
Sure, these random observations are a bit out of left field but that is how my day has been today. The kids had their first day of school today and that brought about an eerie silence as I worked from home.
On a positive note, I was able to hammer out a post that I will be submitting to Darren’s Group Writing Project so look for that to publish tomorrow over at The Man Page.
Until then, I hope you found something interesting (or at least humorous) in this random walk through my thoughts. Feel free to be equally as random with your comments, lol.

Jon@Custom T-Shirts August 27, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Threadless executes the custom t-shirts concept really well with the community involvement. My favorite t-shirt from them is the one with the panda coming back from vacation.

derek August 28, 2008 at 11:24 am

I don’t think I’ve seen that one…I really wanted the one of the cheeseburger saying “I want to be inside you” but they were out of my size.

Ling@Triphow August 27, 2008 at 11:48 pm

I tried out something like that once – Not HitTail – Just checking the stats and using the incoming keywords to develop more posts, so that you can build on the traffic. Somehow the search engines caught on, and everytime I made a post related to existing keywords, it got entirely yanked out of the index. Probably because I overdid it, but just thought you might want to know.

derek August 28, 2008 at 11:25 am

Appreciate the heads-up about that, I try not to overdo it with any optimization for a keyword but will certainly have to pay attention to that.

Eva White August 28, 2008 at 1:43 am

The threadless tees look good. Maybe the solution to some xmas gifts for me.
Eva Whites last blog post..Jamaica’s Usain Bolt

Justin@Airsoft Guns August 28, 2008 at 4:49 am

You’ve gotten hits for some pretty interesting long tail keywords. As for Threadless, I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never really investigated it. I think I will now.

JLow August 28, 2008 at 5:04 am

I totally agree with your play with the title.
In my last blog post to share about my little girl’s supposedly urinary tract infection, I battled with the appropriate title to use. Genitalia, labia, minora, majora, “gotta wash with finger inside” were all on my list of potentials….
I gave up, and ended up with this rather boring, but I guess, safe title.
Sigh…

derek August 28, 2008 at 11:28 am

I like the title…and am quite happy that I have two boys!

Andrea August 28, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I am happy i have two boys too and ONLY one girl. IDK what i would do if i had more than one girl. IMO, boys seems easier and easier to please.

lisa@Woodbury Commons August 28, 2008 at 5:13 am

There was a good article recently in Inc. Magazine about THreadless. Sounds like a very innovative company. Good reminder to go check out their tees.
lisas last blog post..Blogging About Woodbury Commons – 8/17/08 – 8/23/08

Indie Clothing Guy August 28, 2008 at 7:01 am

This post was interesting. I went through the threadless.com link and i must admit the t-shirts were really cool. My bro has become an even bigger fan than me.

Marie @ Neon Signs August 28, 2008 at 8:51 am

could this post have something to do with your keyword sniping?

derek August 28, 2008 at 11:28 am

Nope…I’ll be posting about that soon though, as I am starting to rank well in the search results and there is a small amount of revenue starting to come in on that site.

Andrea August 28, 2008 at 9:03 am

took me awhile to get past the title but i LOVE the t-shirt website! great find!

Nicole Price August 28, 2008 at 9:39 am

Sorry Derek, I am not into either of the random topics that you have chosen to post today!
It is however interesting information on Hittail statistics!

Larry @ Commercial Lighting August 28, 2008 at 1:11 pm

have you been pleased with the hittail program. I am waiting for my webmaster to put it on all my pages.

derek August 28, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I’ve been very pleased…I really enjoy the information that it gives me, although I haven’t been utilizing it nearly as much as I should be.

peter@Love Fortune Teller August 28, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Never used the subwoofer, although a washing machine did come into play once… 🙂
peters last blog post..Tarot Cards – The Six of Cups

Kelvin Kao@Puppet Kaos August 28, 2008 at 10:49 pm

My friend used to have a post called “10 signs that you masturbate too much” that rank really high. I guess people look up this stuff.
Kelvin Kaos last blog post..Viral Puppet Video Based on Movie “Fearless”

pauletet August 29, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Its some kind of intriguing double meaning title:)

chloe@Petite Star August 29, 2008 at 6:18 pm

I just watched this film (private parts) and googled to see who else thought it was good.
Nice to see someone else appreciates the quality of this classic film.

Larry @ Commercial Lighting September 2, 2008 at 7:45 pm

So how many hits did you ha ve that were related to Sub woofer masturbation?

derek September 2, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Lol, so far not all that many but I am sure over time that it will bring in some interesting hits.

Mr Article September 8, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Lmfao, the title made me laugh, i’m so childish! Great tee’s though, i’m a big fan of t shirts, i must have like 6 trillion! Thanks man.

xok (indie clothing) September 16, 2008 at 8:58 am

What a dirty topic, hah. I should forward this to a few friends, maybe my family. haha.
Threadless rocks, btw.

Dvir December 14, 2008 at 10:19 am

I’m a Threadless fan as well,
They just have the best tee designs in the world!!
They’re on sale now and with usage of threadless coupon code it’s even better! 🙂