The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze

by derek on August 29, 2008 · 40 comments

While reflecting on the thrill of achieving a front page digg, I could not help but think of the quote from the character Kelly in the movie The Girl Next Door:

You wanna be president? Lemme tell you the first rule of politics; Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze. You know what that means? It means you don’t steal my girl unless you’re ready to accept the consequences.

True, experiencing the rush of visitors from digg has nothing to do with stealing another guy’s girl, but it does relate to the idea of asking yourself how much you are willing to do for something (or someone) that you care about.
Using blogging as an example…how much are you willing to do to experience that sick feeling in your stomach when you realize that your server cannot withstand the insane stampede of traffic knocking at the door?
Are you willing to write hundreds of posts for that chance?
Are you willing to continually strive for that right balance that strikes a chord with the masses?
Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Had you seen me last night when I realized that my post had achieved the front page, you would have known that the juice was certainly worth the squeeze for me. My smile stretched from ear to ear and I even broke out a special little dance for the occasion, thankfully my wife did not have the video camera handy.
But do you know what the best part is?
I feel like that every day that I am blogging. Sure, having more than 45,000 visitors to your blog in the matter of 24 hours is quite the rush, but so is the daily interaction with all of you.
Writing a post and sharing a dialog with the community is worth the squeeze.
Helping a fellow blogger with a question is worth the squeeze.
Introducing someone to the thrill of blogging is worth the squeeze.
Basically, what I am trying to say here is that I want to thank each and every one of you for being one of the primary reasons that the juice of blogging is more than worth the squeeze to me. While it certainly isn’t always easy to stay consistent with the blogs, I have to say that all of the hard work comes with quite the reward.
What about you?
What is your “juice” and is it worth the squeeze?
While I wait for the chance to discuss this with you, I think I will sit back, pour myself a nice, cold Guinness and savor the juice from my squeeze. 😉

Nicole Price August 30, 2008 at 4:42 am

Derek, I have not yet gone after my best friend’s man. I have done a lot of other things that gave me the thrill of the juice being worth the squeeze. Must explore some more I think.
45,000 visitors! By every yardstick, that is a great deal of advise assimilated by a lot of people. You are now a star!

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Hopefully you don’t go after your best friend’s man…but I’d love to hear some of the other things that have been worth the squeeze for you!

Jon@Custom T-Shirts August 30, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I find that on the Internet, the juice is usually worth the squeeze. As opposed to doing things offline, the squeeze requires much less effort!

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I’d agree that the Interweb squeeze requires less financial investment, but that doesn’t always mean it requires less effort. Although when you love what you do, it really doesn’t feel like any effort at all.

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 2, 2008 at 9:33 am

Well the Internet makes everything easier from promoting your sites to communicating and even writing! I type much faster than I can write!

Eva White August 30, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I AGREE… The juice is worth the squeeze in blogging. It has literally turned my life around.
Eva Whites last blog post..High Tech Olympics

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:06 pm

That is fantastic…care to share more details on how it has turned your life around?

Ling@Uptake August 31, 2008 at 12:03 am

Best reward for me comes when I ‘connect’ with one of my readers. Its wonderful how you can build a trusting relationship with someone whom you’ve never met. Its like a whole different part of your life.

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Lol, absolutely! This is one of the things my wife has the hardest time understanding. There are people that I’ve met through blogging that I know better than people I’ve met in real life, kind of interesting.

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 2, 2008 at 9:34 am

I really admire your commitment to your own blog. Just the fact that you take time to reply to all of your comments says a lot about how much you love doing this!

Tractor Loader Forks August 31, 2008 at 1:20 am

Thanks for the kind post. Having a regular readership is more important in my opinion than chasing elusive traffic like Digg’s. 99.99% of them will click out in seconds and never come back.
– Matt.

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:10 pm

True, some of the digg crowd might stick around and become regulars but generally speaking it is all “drive-by” traffic. But the few that do stick around make it all that more special.

Larry @ commercial lighting August 31, 2008 at 7:12 am

Congrats man!!! You deserve it. Have you noticed some of that traffic sticking around?

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Not much…for a few days there was a huge spike in RSS subscriptions and follow-up traffic but it has slowly been easing back to normal levels. I’d say maybe 15-20 new RSS subscribers after a spike of 200+ on the first/second day.

Futon-Matt August 31, 2008 at 7:45 am

That’s great, congrats Derek

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Matt!

Olly@Guitar Tuition Books August 31, 2008 at 8:02 am

I think it is great you are so paddionate about what you do. For me, I have several blogs in my reader and now yours is the first I check- So you are doing something very right as far as a I am concerned.
Keep up the great work and long may your visitors stay!

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Olly, thanks for the support and kind words! In an effort to keep that support, I encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts on things you like and don’t like as that helps me improve.

actuaries August 31, 2008 at 11:51 am

your topic seems to be very interesting..i totally agree to u 😉

lisa@Gourmet Food Gift Baskets September 1, 2008 at 4:58 am

I have never had that rush feeling, but I’ll bet it was awesome. I have had some nice traffic from stumble once, but nothing to get all worked up about.
lisas last blog post..Coffee Indulgence Gift Basket

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:15 pm

It is a great feeling, although just like the first time, I missed the initial rush as I was driving home from work when it started.

wilson September 1, 2008 at 8:03 am

Without the proper juices, our sites will be drought and soon be death of thirst…
Thus, the appropriate juice is a must!
wilsons last blog post..Fight The Drug Abuse and Said No To It!

Nicole Price September 1, 2008 at 9:39 am

Derek, you have disappointed me! No response to my comments?

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:16 pm

I’ve given an apology that I hope you will accept.

Cashmere Lashkari September 1, 2008 at 10:10 am

what exactly is this blog about?
Cashmere Lashkaris last blog post..Allu Tikkis

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Lately I’ve been calling it The Kitchen Sink Of The Interweb – a little bit of everything. We talk about blogging, life, motorcycles, etc.
Please stick around for a bit and browse through the archives, hopefully you’ll find something that draws your interest and we see you around more often.

Bob @ iPod Repair September 1, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Great movie, great line! Blogging is totally worth the juice

derek September 1, 2008 at 9:19 pm

This movie was one I almost never watched but am so glad that I did. Now whenever I see it come on, I have to sit and watch it.

Damien Riley September 1, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Getting my smaller blogs their own domains and migrating them has been quite a squeeze. When I start watching their ratings go up and the money offers for ads etc coming in, that will be the juice!
I’m so jazzed that this post took off for you. It is like the exploding disk all over again 🙂

Bird Feeders September 2, 2008 at 9:13 pm

It is quite a thrill to know that thousands of people are interested in what you have to say. Good for you! Nice work getting on digg!

Justin@Going Green September 6, 2008 at 9:12 am

Honestly, I don’t know what my “juice” is, but I congratulate you for reaching the front page of Digg. That is a difficult accomplishment to achieve, but you did it. Enjoy all those visitors!

pauletet September 7, 2008 at 1:55 am

Derek you are a good blogger and good person too. Never wonder why you are being blessed. More blogs to come and more power:)

Electric Car Conversion September 10, 2008 at 1:55 pm

I hope to be in your place someday.

Jeff@tractors September 22, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I was on the front page of digg once, unfortunately it took my shared server to its knees.
It is really difficult to hit the front page these days, even with excellent content.
too many people gaming the system with sub-par content.

Neil@PS3 November 28, 2008 at 3:33 am

First page of Digg. That is something I can only dream of. I will be lucky to get on the first page of my own newsletter.

Martin@Jamba Juice Coupon November 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Lol, but it’s not impossible ( to get on first page of your own newsletter).

Pink MP3 Players March 29, 2009 at 10:29 am

I had an article reach the front page of Digg before, and got thousands of visitors in a short period of time. Although Digg users don’t buy anything nor do they click ads. So pretty useless traffic IMHO.
That same story got picked up my Coast to CoastAM and got a third of the visitors and hundreds upon hundreds of purchases and ad clicks.
Targeted traffic is the best of the best. Congratulations on making it to the first page of Digg, hope it worked out for you better than it did for me.
Pink MP3 Playerss last blog post..TrekStor i.Beat

Debbie Drummond@Turnberry Place condos October 1, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I think it’s all about believing in your self. Your juice will be not worth of squeeze, If you haven’t put on some efforts to it. In the modern era every one is willing to earn more online, but what efforts we are making to achieve our targets? I totally like your idea that, how much you are willing to do for some thing you care most. I mean we should ask this question to ourselves. By the way squeeze is worth of sweet juice in blogging, If you are targeted & working hard for your blogs. It’s not a get rich quick program a little marketing strategy & hardworking is required for sure.

Suzanne October 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Many are lucky enough to squeeze the juice out of me, i think. But the best part is what I gave them and what I share to them that makes them more knowledgeable.