Speedlinking – August's Most Vocal

by derek on September 1, 2008 · 32 comments

There were some new and exciting developments that took place in the month of August, including the first guest post and the process of getting approved for an account with Market Leverage. We also saw a handful of more regular updates, such as the weekly 100 push up program recap.
In what has become a tradition for the Most Vocal updates, much like the monthly Q&A Session, I like to start off by taking a look at the posts that received the most comments.
For the month of August, the following posts had the most active discussion:

There was a considerable drop in the volume of comments compared to last month, moving down from 616 comments in July to only 498 comments this month. On a per post basis, we decreased from roughly 29 comments to 23 comments per post. As we begin the new month, I will be doing my part to see the discussion continue to increase.
So, who were the people that were talking the most?

Top Commentators August 2008

1. Andrea from According to Andrea had set a goal to secure sole possession as the top commentator and this month she has done it with 30 comments. For those that don’t know, Andrea lives in the path of Hurricane Gustav and her family has had to evacuate their home. I had an opportunity to communicate with Andrea today; she and the family are safe and sound right now as they wait out the storm. Please keep Andrea and her family in your thoughts.
2. Second place goes to Nicole Price from Great Prices Here with 23 comments. As I just bought myself a new ring, I couldn’t help but notice Nicole’s post on jewelry deals and discounts. In related jewelry news, I will soon be working on creating an Etsy shop for my wife to try and sell some of her jewelry creations so stay tuned for more updates.
3. As you can see in the image above, one of the issues with the KeywordLuv plugin is what happens when the same person comments with different keywords – they are treated as separate commentators. Since all of the comments were from the same person, I have credited third place to Ling from TripHow with 22 comments. With a trip to Miami quickly approaching, I had to check out Ling’s list of things to do in South Miami. Now if I just had someone to do these things with, I’d be set.
4. Eva White from EvaWhite.com brought home fourth place with 17 comments. Eva’s most recent post caught my eye due to an investment that I currently hold in a gold mining stock – who said gold prices will never fall? Personally, I am not a fan of gold as any jewelry that I own is platinum or sterling silver but the interest that others have in gold has made me money.
5. Larry from Commercial Lighting wraps up the top five commentators with 15 comments. If you’ve ever found yourself wondering what that odd shaped light bulb is called, take a look at the Shape Finder to find your answer. Although I’m still left wondering what the small round bulbs in our hallway lights are called that seem to burn out far too often.
There were three holdovers from the top commentators last month and two new additions this month, which is always nice to see. There are already a few new names on the list as we begin September, will they have the staying power to compete with the regulars?
Before I wrap up this edition of the Most Vocal, I’d like to give an apology to Nicole. The other day Nicole left a comment indicating that she was disappointed as I had not responded to her comments. Nicole, I am sorry if I have slighted you with a lack of a response and will do my best to be more responsive to everyone’s comments. As I have always said, I appreciate your feedback – both positive and negative – as that helps us build a stronger community.
The summer months have come to an end and as we begin the journey into the cooler (and more enjoyable if you ask me) months of fall, I want to thank everyone for their continued support. As I commented the other day, having the opportunity to interact with all of you is why the juice is worth the squeeze when it comes to blogging.
Thanks!

Sexy Gifs September 1, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Nice read ty

Ling@Triphow September 1, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Uh-oh! Happy that I finally made it into this list. I have been trying like, forever. πŸ™‚ On the other hand, I apologize for becoming an issue. And hope you enjoy the Miami trip. Won’t your wife be the someone you do these things with?
Lings last blog post..Eco-Friendly Spa Elia at Hotel Los Gatos

derek September 2, 2008 at 5:54 am

No, I will be in Miami for business and my wife will not be joining me on the trip.
Congrats on making the list, you’ve been close so many times and finally cracked the top five!

olly@Boss Effects Pedals September 2, 2008 at 1:40 am

Cool – and keep up the great work – do you have any plans for this month as far as your blog goes?

derek September 2, 2008 at 5:57 am

Plans for this month are to continue building readership and traffic with 10,000+ pageviews and an increase in RSS subscribers. In addition, I’d like to open the floor for a few additional guest posts in the coming month.

Terry @ SEO Blog September 2, 2008 at 9:45 am

How close are you to 10,000+?
Terrys last blog post..Keywordluv plugin

derek September 3, 2008 at 10:01 am

In July I surpassed 10,000+ pageviews, as I talked about here. August saw a slight dip below 10k so I need to get things moving back up.

olly@Boss Effects Pedals September 4, 2008 at 2:12 am

Well good luck! Everything looks to me to be growing nicely and certainly heading in the right direction!

Desmond@DesmondBlog.com September 2, 2008 at 2:06 am

The gold article is awesome. Thanks Derek
Desmonds last blog post..SEO Experts Wear Hats – Black-Hat SEO Techniques

derek September 2, 2008 at 5:57 am

Glad to hear that you liked it!

Cesar September 2, 2008 at 4:53 am

Congratulation to the top 5 commentators. I was ever one of the top 5 too but I became really busy with other things that I stopped reading blogs for a while. But I am back now, and those are nice posts.
Cesars last blog post..Find Available Domain Names to Register

derek September 2, 2008 at 5:58 am

Welcome back Cesar, it is good to see you around again.

Bob @ iPod Repair September 2, 2008 at 6:45 am

wow this is a cool feature you do every month.

derek September 2, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Thanks, glad you (and others) like it. It is a small way to give a little something back to the community in the form of links.

Terry @ SEO Blog September 2, 2008 at 9:07 am

Maybe I will make it this month? I have been following this blog for awhile now and have really come to like it.
Terrys last blog post..Keywordluv plugin

derek September 2, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Terry, thanks for the kind words – I am happy to hear that you enjoy the blog. Best to you in the pursuit of the top five!

Nicole Price September 2, 2008 at 9:30 am

That is interesting news about your wife possibly getting into web marketing. I look forward with interest to that development.
No offense taken. I was curious to see how you would react that is all. You can come out with some surprises!
Nicole Prices last blog post..The Fastest Growing Companies

derek September 2, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Well, just to be clear it would mostly be me handling all of the web related aspects and she would stick to the jewelry making. She really has expressed zero interest in being involved online.

Nicole Price September 3, 2008 at 9:42 am

That does not surprise me. Why do something when an expert is around to do it for you? Remember the famous mantra? Stick with Core Competence – outsource all the rest?
Nicole Prices last blog post..The Fastest Growing Companies

derek September 3, 2008 at 10:02 am

That is a good point. It is something I enjoy too as I love to be doing the work behind the scenes.

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 2, 2008 at 9:30 am

Too bad I didn’t make it onto the list last month, maybe this one!

Tina September 2, 2008 at 10:59 am

I do a lot of reading and am not one to comment. I will try to make a better effort at commenting, but I still enjoy reading your blog!

Deutsche Bux September 2, 2008 at 12:52 pm

WOW that is apretty cool feature you do every month – keep up going like that!

Martin@Google Chrome review September 2, 2008 at 6:27 pm

This kind of posts invite visitors to participate more. Good stuff. I hope I can get on that list eventually.
Martins last blog post..Review of Google’s Chrome browser

kouji@haiku poems examples September 2, 2008 at 7:14 pm

you do a really good job of making those people who comment feel especially welcome. not only do you respond to what we write, you actually take the time to visit some of our sites, and post on what you see. impressive. will have to keep coming back to your site now. πŸ™‚
koujis last blog post..haiku poem: welcome

Larry @ Commercial Lighting September 2, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Thanks for the recognition!!! It isn’t very hard for me to reach the top 5. I read this blog everyday and love to participate!

derek September 2, 2008 at 8:08 pm

@Jon :: Good luck!
@Tina :: Thank you for taking a detour from reading to stop by and share! Hope to hear from you more often.
@DB :: Plan to keep it up, thanks.
@Martin :: It is there for the taking, good luck.
@kouji :: Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what I am hoping to accomplish. I try to visit as many sites as possible but can always use improvement in that area.
@Larry :: You’re welcome, thanks for becoming such an active voice of the community!

Steve@Free iPods September 3, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Congrats to everyone who got on the list this month. Sad not to see my name up in lights…but hey, I have been on vacation for 2 weeks with no internet access!

Steve@Free iPods September 5, 2008 at 1:56 pm

But I will be vying for top spot again in September πŸ™‚

pauletet September 7, 2008 at 1:39 am

Congrats to the top commentators:) Hope i could get in the list again:)

Mr Article September 8, 2008 at 12:52 pm

That’s great, congrats to Andrea, i wish my blog was as active in terms of commentors. Nevermind though. Keep up the great work, i’ll try comment more here since it’s a neat blog :).

Nick September 24, 2008 at 7:29 am

Congratulations to everyone who benefited from my trip and being away from the computer.
Ok Andrea, I hope you enjoyed your time at the top, I’m going to have to try and get my spot back now πŸ™‚
Nicks last blog post..Let The Frenzy Commence