100 Push Up Challenge :: We Have A Winner

by derek on September 4, 2008 · 20 comments

While I have not yet reached the goal of 100 consecutive push ups (more on that in a minute) per the original challenge, I wanted to take a moment to select the winner of the contest and thank everyone for their participation.
As a recap, there were a handful of people that embarked on the challenge to complete 100 push ups. Based on the trackbacks that were received, that includes the following:

It has been fun to follow along with all of you during this challenge and I’d like to thank each of you for participating.

And the winner is…

After firing up the trusty random integer generator, we have a winner of the 100 Push Up Challenge contest…and that winner is Charlie on PA Tpk!
Congrats Charlie!
You are the winner of the $25 cash and a random selection of t-shirts that I have piling up. In addition, I have a few other little goodies to pass along so I hope you enjoy them. Please watch for an email from me, as I will need to get your information to ship you the goods.

But that’s not all…

Since I can appreciate how difficult this push up program has been, I don’t want to leave the other four participants empty-handed. Therefore I have a prize for each of you as well – you will each receive one t-shirt as a thank you for all of your hard work.
Congratulations to each of you for making the effort to try the program and share your experience with all of us!

Push Up Recap

In my last update, I commented that the program had nearly crippled me and it just didn’t seem like I was making much progress. The fifth week of the program was extremely difficult.
After struggling through the three workouts, I attempted another exhaustion test to monitor my progress and I was only able to perform 46 repetitions. With the lackluster performance that I had during Week 5, I clearly would need to repeat these workouts, possibly a few times.
But…
I have decided to cease the push up program and have transitioned into a workout routine that has me pushing some iron down in my home gym. After 5+ weeks following the push up program, I have yet to surpass the half-century mark and that makes me think that the goal of 100 push ups is not even within sight – plus I am anxious to start lifting again.
In discussing the program with my friend Ryan, he seems to be in a similar situation in that there just has not been a great deal of progress. He had mentioned to me that he felt it wasn’t so much his strength that was holding him back but the weight that he has to press on each repetition. That exact thought has crossed my mind as well, as I am not a small guy by any means and I am sure that contributes to my fatigue.
Therefore, I am going to focus more on performing a whole-body workout and look to improve my overall physique and conditioning. I’ll spare all of you the details moving forward unless anyone has a burning desire to know how I am progressing.
Right now I am following an adaptation of the Abs Diet workout (yes, it might be gimmicky but I like it so far) that is a circuit training style workout, meaning very little rest in between sets and exercises. On the non-strength days, I have to do some cardio – which I am not a big fan of doing – but will suffer through it.
We’ll see how it goes but so far I have to say that I am loving it.

Ling@Uptake September 4, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Congrats to Charlie. And Derek, you did just fine – Much, much better than you would expect from someone who blogs a lot. Somebody should start an exercise program specifically designed for bloggers. 🙂

olly@Boss Effects Pedals September 5, 2008 at 5:34 am

Well done for persisting with with it – bet you are glad it’s over!
It inspires me to get back into exercise again but is there really enough hours in the day?

Bob @ iPod Repair September 5, 2008 at 6:33 am

Congrats!!!! I caught on late to this challenge but it sounded pretty cool.

Nicole Price September 5, 2008 at 9:24 am

Congratulations to the winner and the runners up!
I am not an expert but I am given to understand that plateauing is quite common and exercisers are advised to change the routine for a while to get back on progress track.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Good Deals on Sporting Goods

Charlie on PA Tpk@Nobody asked me, but... September 5, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I am very flattered, more than you know. Thank you.
Charlie on PA Tpks last blog post..So Charlie… whatever happened to that Challenge??

Steve@Free iPods September 5, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Congrats Charlie.
Fantastic achievement for you also Derek. You may not have completed the challenge but it has put you on a fitness drive by the sounds of things, so all good.

Justin@Going Green September 6, 2008 at 9:14 am

That’s unfortunate that you are ceasing the program, but I’m sure after a few months of doing whole-body workouts, you can return to it. I actually do both; I go to the gym and participate in Hundred Push-Ups. They complement each other quite well.

Hummer H2 September 6, 2008 at 11:50 am

Congratulations to Charlie and the winner and the runners up! Keep posting.

Mobius September 6, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Congratuatlions to both winner and runner ups!
Mobiuss last blog post..Star Wars: The Force Unleashed demo review

pauletet September 7, 2008 at 1:48 am

Congrats to Charlie. The workout really seem tedious and all those who joined are winners to me for they have tried very very hard.

john@Weight Loss Blog September 7, 2008 at 8:09 am

The pushups are certainly harder when you weigh more, no doubt about that! I’m trying to get back on the program myself. Missed the contest though.

Kevin@Rushmore Casino Review September 8, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Congrats Charlie!
Someone else mentioned a workout program for bloggers – I second that.
Derek, maybe you should put that together for your next contest. 🙂

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 8, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Congrats Charlie!
Man, I stopped for about 4 days and it’s very difficult to get back on track!

Mr Article September 8, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Congratulations to the winner… I’d just like to know how the heck he can do that many? I can’t even do TWO!!! Damnit, i’m so unfit, but that’s the price you pay when you live on a computer lmao. Great work man!

Bernhard September 8, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Occasionally I look here by and read the interesting and well written contributions. Today I would like to leave gladly a greeting from Thuringia in Germany!

Totally Home September 9, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Congrats to the winners.. loved the article 🙂

Cesar@Webmaster Blog September 10, 2008 at 5:48 am

Congratulation to Charlie. 100 push up is not something easy to do.
Cesars last blog post..Why Good Contents are Important for Your Blog?

Nick@romandock dot com September 24, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Sorry to hear that your endeavor was unsuccessful….As far as reporting on your daily weight-lifting routine, start a seperate blog for that 😛
Nicks last blog post..Let The Frenzy Commence

martin english October 23, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Unfortunately, I didn’t keep up my commitment to the program… However, I did get from 5 to 20 by week 3.
Congratulations to ALL thos who completed the program, especially the winner, and thanks for promoting it, Derek