Q&A Round 5 :: The Answers

by derek on September 19, 2008 · 29 comments

SEO Company asks:

What is your favorite cricket team?
Derek: I have seen the game a few times and even work with a guy who plays from time to time, but I have no idea about actual teams and could not name a single team even if my life depended on it.

Bob @ iPod Repair asks:

Do you consider yourself green?
Derek: No, I wouldn’t consider myself to be green. That doesn’t mean that I do not try to do certain things to reduce my footprint, but I cannot say that I go out of my way to be green. I recycle as much as possible, drive a relatively fuel efficient car, use energy efficient products, buy local and organic food as much as possible (although I know there is some debate on the use of organic foods that are shipped from distant locations).

pauletet asks:

If you live another life.What you think you want to be?
Derek: Well, I wouldn’t really want to live another life but I will entertain the question. Also, I am not sure if you were asking about living as another person or another being. If you meant another person, I’ll pass as I am happy with the person that I am. If you meant another being, the first thing that popped into my mind was to be a dog. I’d have people that feed me every day, provide me with a comfortable place to live, let me lie around and sleep until I am ready to play, clean up after me – sounds pretty good to me.

Terry @ SEO Blog asks:

What first turned you on to blogging?
Derek: To be honest, I first entertained the thought after reading a post on John Chow’s blog about the bloggers making the most money through the use of Google AdSense. I’d been involved in Interweb development for some time professionally and was enticed at the possibility of trying to make money through a blog. Since that time, much has changed with my outlook on blogging but that is where it all really started. The other influence on starting a blog was that I have always had a strong passion for personal finances and felt that a blog could provide me with a vehicle to share my knowledge and opinions with someone that could possibly benefit from that information. This second influence is what has kept me blogging.

Ling@Triphow asks:

Who are you going to vote for? Obama or McCain? πŸ™‚
Derek: This might take things in an interesting direction on this blog as I have never discussed a handful of controversial topics on any of my blogs, including politics and religion. However, this is the Q&A Session and I am game to answer anything…so, as I sit here right now I am planning on voting for Obama.

Sinead asks:

I don’t have a question but just wanted to day it’s good to at last find a person who is open about how much they earn from the interweb. I’ve seen so many advice articles about how to earn money but no one (until now) has shared the hard facts. Thanks from Ireland πŸ™‚
Derek: Welcome, thanks for stopping by from Ireland and sharing your thoughts. The way that I look at it is that I have no reason to hide anything about how much I am earning via my blogs and my hope is that by being so open, someone else will learn even one small tip that allows them to earn more money for themselves. The blogging industry really thrives on people helping other people so I am trying to do my small part.

Nicole Price asks:

Derek, you seem to get a great deal of things done every day. What is your time-table like for a typical day?
Derek: It really depends on the day, as my schedule does change during the week. For instance, I have Wednesday off from work so my day is much more laid back and loose. The typical week day looks like this: wake between 4:30-4:45 am to get ready for work, arrive at work by 6:30 am, work until approximately 6:00 pm and head home, spend an hour or two with my kids before reading them bedtime stories, spend time with my wife, workout (since ending the push up program, I have been loving my workouts again), spend a few hours on my blogs, get to bed by about 1:00-2:00 am to get a few hours of sleep before starting it all again the next day. My weekends are typically spent outside playing with my kids, doing things around the house, and spending time with my wife.

Bob @ iPod Repair asks:

do you do fantasy football??
Derek: Yes, until this year I normally had at least two or three different fantasy football teams. I’m a complete sports fanatic, although when it comes to fantasy sports I limit myself to baseball and football. This year I only signed up for one team and I actually debated whether or not I even wanted to do that, as my schedule doesn’t leave a great deal of time for fantasy sports. I landed the first spot in our draft but I wasn’t able to attend the live draft, or even pre-rank my players, so my team isn’t all that great. Well see what happens this year, but I am not planning on adding to my collection of fantasy championships.

Ling@Uptake September 19, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for the answer. A lot of people follow this blog and I’m sure they’ll be at least a little bit influenced by your answer, and Obama will be happy to hear that you just got him some votes. πŸ™‚

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Lol, I don’t know about that – but I did pick up a bottle of Obama Cola at BlogWorld!

Nicole Price September 20, 2008 at 5:12 am

Derek, I am amazed! How can you keep at it with so little sleeping time? I wish I could do that!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Back to School Discounts from Target

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Not sure, usually I will go a few months and then have a night where I crash really early and sleep all night. But I am alive at night – I’m convinced I was born to be an entrepreneur that can set my own hours or work the 3rd shift, lol.

Nicole Price September 24, 2008 at 9:02 am

Amazing, that is all that I can say. All the best to your stamina.

Nick@romandock dot com September 28, 2008 at 10:51 am

When I read this post, I had the same question…that is insane…..although, I kinda wish I could do that
Nicks last blog post..Google’s cell phone to be released!

Olly@Boss Effects Pedals September 20, 2008 at 5:23 am

Woah – that sounds like a busy day! How do you get by with such little sleep? I get real cranky without 8 hours! And to get up and 4am – how do you do it?

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:13 pm

It is hard to wake up at 4am given that I am NOT a morning person by any means. But it helps avoid the 2+ hour drive to work so I guess I have learned to force myself out of bed.

Steve@Free iPods September 20, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Derek, when you say “football”, are you talking soccer or that game for girls in padding that you play over there πŸ™‚
Cricket can be a bit tedious to watch but is great to play, love it.

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Lol, there is only one “football” and it doesn’t involve a round ball and a bunch of glorified cross-country stars that can kick a ball. πŸ˜‰
Bring it baby, lol!

Sifu September 20, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Soccer is worldwide the most popular sport

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Bah!

pauletet September 20, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Thanks Derek for the answer. Your readers including me are very happy to know how the man behind this blog knows not only what he thinks but as well as what he feels:) More power!

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:15 pm

I love doing these posts, although I was a little disappointed that there weren’t more questions this time around.
I answered them on the flight to Vegas and I was done way too soon.

Justin@Going Green September 21, 2008 at 5:17 pm

You say you don’t consider yourself green, but you sure do seem to do a lot of “green” stuff. There’s nothing wrong with being environmental!
Justins last blog post..Think Green: Go to a Green College

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Nothing wrong with it at all, I guess I just have never really considered myself a “green” person even though I try to be conscious of the environment.

Eid SMS September 22, 2008 at 6:18 am

Derek Thanks for sharing everything.

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:16 pm

You’re welcome.

Terry @ SEO Blog September 22, 2008 at 7:54 am

So was your entire football team done by one of those auto draft thingies?
Terrys last blog post..Some recommended reading

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Yeah, my entire team was initially made up of the auto-draft selections based on the default rankings. I’ve since made a few changes but I haven’t really had the time to even follow it so far this season.

Terry @ SEO Blog September 23, 2008 at 6:32 am

So far i’m 3-0. I drafted 8th in a 12 man no keeper league and i amm extremely happy with my team thus far. For jokes I guess i’ll post mykey players.
Romo
Earnest Graham
Michael Turner
Steven Jackson
Hines Ward
Tory Holt
L Coles
Terrys last blog post..SEO on the west coast

Terry @ SEO Blog September 22, 2008 at 8:01 am

wow I think theres going to be a little debate between soccer and the real football.
Terrys last blog post..Some recommended reading

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Lol, soccer fans can debate it all they want but they’re still wrong – football is the best.

Bob @ ipod Repair September 22, 2008 at 1:07 pm

What does your starting lineup look like?

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Here is the breakdown of my team:
QB: Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson, Laurence Maroney, Edge James
WR: Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, DeSean Jackson, Joey Galloway
TE: Jason Witten, Ben Watson
K: Mason Crosby
DEF: Minnesota Vikings
Being in Vegas this weekend, I forgot to change my lineup and had LT out and a few other bad plays but the Minny D came up huge.

Soham September 22, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Derek, here in India, cricket is a religion.

derek September 22, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I really don’t know too much about the sport, although it does seem to be predominantly played by Indian people. Is it played in many other countries?

kouji@haiku poems examples October 12, 2008 at 5:32 am

interesting. i didn’t think you’d answer that question on the candidates. a bit brave actually. :O