Lets Get Ready To Rumble

by derek on September 26, 2008 · 20 comments

Ladies and gentlemen…lets get ready to rumble.
Ok, maybe that is a bit of a stretch but with the recent actions of John McCain, the presidential debate scheduled for tonight seems to have taken on a new level of interest for many people.
Initially, John McCain had refused to commit to attending the debate and commented that he was suspending his campaign as he felt it was more important that he focus his attention on the financial state of the country. In addition to the questions surrounding the debate, McCain also canceled an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman, which has received just as much, if not more, press and scrutiny.
As you can see in the following clips from Letterman, he clearly isn’t too happy that McCain backed out of his appearance on the show or the fact that McCain was suspending his campaign.

Personally, I find the presidential candidates appearances on the late night talk show circuit to be quite interesting. Often times you are able to get a slightly different look at the candidate and get a feel for what they are like as a person. For that reason, I was disappointed to hear that McCain had canceled his appearance, although one can certainly argue that such an appearance is not overly important.
With all of the questions surrounding whether or not McCain would participate in this debate, I am certain that many more people will be tuning in to see what takes place. We will be tuning in for the debate in our house, although first we will be watching the movie The Forbidden Kingdom as the kids will most likely not last through the debate.
What do you think about McCain’s uncertainty regarding this debate?

Nicole Price September 27, 2008 at 8:34 am

Either he was given bad advise or something far more important than his presidency, called him off, and I do not mean the state of the economy. I admire how Letterman handled this last minute cancellation.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Most Value Packed Cars

Damien September 27, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I think Dave has gone too far here. He strikes me as closeted Democrat trying to show a face of both sides to the public. I think he is monopolizing on what the majority of his viewers feel and throwing in a bit of ridiculous self-importance. This has been a running gag through many guests that wouldn’t appear, Oprah, Richard Simmons, etc. I just think now at this time with what is happening, Dave has gone too far.

bob @ ipod Repair September 29, 2008 at 8:39 am

I don’t think he went too far. McCain clearly stated that has was in a mad rush to Washington DC and couldn’t make the late show. Because Dave had access to the CBS internal data feed he was able to see that now only was McCain not even tring to get to Washington, but he was in makeup on the Katie Couric news show. What a dork, at least be a better liar.

Mal September 27, 2008 at 1:17 pm

McCain played it too much like he was the defacto next commander in chief. But he did well with the debate. Dave will get him back… didn’t McCain announce his race on the Letterman show?
Mals last blog post..Fruit Custard Pie

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 27, 2008 at 1:24 pm

I’m not sure what McCain is doing to help with the economy… seems like he’s just getting in the way.

John @ Maryland Real Estate September 28, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Yeah I do not think that was the wisest decision on McCain’s part. It is a real shame because I agree you really do get a good feel for who they are as people watching candidates on the talk shows.
Johns last blog post..Baltimore Real Estate

Ling@Triphow September 28, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Desperate times, desperate measures. McCain was taking in the polls, Sarah Palin’s interview with Couric was going badly, what else was he gonna do?
Lings last blog post..Holiday Inn Scandal & the Angry Space Tourist

Justin@Airsoft Guns September 29, 2008 at 6:27 am

That debate was pretty great, and both candidates did a good job. I’m an Obama man, though, so due to my bias I have declared him the indisputable winner of the debate. Can’t wait to see the next ones.

bob @ ipod Repair September 29, 2008 at 7:20 am

I think it was a just a stunt to throw Obama off. I don’t think it working being that he decided to change his mind.

Nick September 29, 2008 at 7:37 am

Being in the public eye the way that McCain and Obama currently are, they have to really watch what they do and say and this certainly wasn’t good for McCain’s image in the election. At the same time, people might be reading more in to it than is justified simply because of the position he is in (being a presidential candidate and all)
Nicks last blog post..Google’s cell phone to be released!

bartolomo September 29, 2008 at 9:09 am

Every statement, every move, every non movement by either candidate is magnified in a presidential race. Nearly everyone has their mind made up already I think. These distractions serve no purpose.

bob @ ipod Repair September 29, 2008 at 1:28 pm

true that… you have to know going into it that every moce it critical

Best Jeans for Women September 29, 2008 at 9:09 pm

I like Leno Better!!

kouji@haiku poems examples September 30, 2008 at 2:52 am

it was a bit strange reading that he suspended his campaign in order to help with the bailout. after all, the united states faces many serious issues, which need to be dealt with simultaneously. this suspension, even if it was only for a short time, makes me wonder about how he’d fare as president, having to focus on so many things, and yet also having to address each effectively.
koujis last blog post..haiku poem: others (about me)

Mia September 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I think it could of been a great move on his part, unfortunately for him now deal was struck.
Mias last blog post..Paul Newman, Dead At Age 83

X18-R October 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm

I can’t wait until the presidential election is over!!

Bob @ ipod repair October 3, 2008 at 8:45 am

I agree. It seems to have lasted for years now.

Kiel@las vegas windshield October 6, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I always dread the election year for that reason, it never seems to end.
Kiels last blog post..Las Vegas windshield replacement is so important