Where Did You Come From, Where Did You Go :: September 2008

by derek on September 29, 2008 · 27 comments

The month of September was all about new experiences…
From turning a year younger on my birthday to my first of what I expect will be many trips to BlogWorld, I had an opportunity to meet new people and learn new things. Speaking of new things, I cannot leave out my first trip to Miami and all of the new things I experienced there – good times!
As you can see, September has been a busy month and now it is time to take a step back and thank the top ten blogs that referred the most traffic – where did you come from – and take a look at the top ten most visited posts for the month – where did you go.

Top 10 Referring Sites

1. Geekologie
  2. Courtney Tuttle
  3. 45n5.com
  4. More Merchant
  5. Sparkplugging
  6. David Pitlyuk
  7. RomanDock dot com
  8. MsDanielle
  9. Randa Clay
  10. InlineSEO

Overall, much of the Top 10 remained the same outside of some reshuffling, although there were two new entries into the list of referring sites. One should be familiar to many of you, as Nick from RomanDock dot com is a regular contributor via the comments and a valued member of the community. Welcome to the Top 10 Nick!
With the traffic coming into the site, what exactly was everyone reading?
Will we see the same list of posts dominating the Top 10 Most Visited Posts? Or will the theme of new experiences indicate that people were reading (and hopefully learning from) new posts?
According to Google Analytics, here are the top 10 visited posts from the past month.

Top 10 Visited Posts

1. How To Record A Cellphone Conversation
  2. Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
  3. 100 Push Up Challenge :: Join Me And Win
  4. Help! How Much Should I Charge For Advertising?
  5. The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze
  6. Pictures :: Aftermath of Exploding CD
  7. Can You Record A Cellphone Conversation?
  8. 100 Push Up Challenge :: Week 1 Recap
  9. Famous People Named Derek
  10. Most Unique Long Tail Search Hits

Compared to last month there are 7 new posts that have made the Top 10 list in September. However, many of those seven have made an appearance on this list in previous months so they are not entirely new.
Of the ten most visited posts for the month, I have to say that my favorite post was the examination of whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze. That is a question that I have been asking myself lately, not just with my blog but with other areas of my life, and without question I have found that the juice is most definitely worth the squeeze!
Which of these ten posts is your favorite?
Is there anything in particular that you would like to see more of during the month of October? If there is anything that you would like to see less of, please let me know that as well. With a goal of building a community that can continue to grow, your feedback is important.

Eric Lee September 29, 2008 at 10:59 pm

I just stopped by your blog and thought I would say hello. I like your site design. Looking forward to reading more down the road.

derek September 30, 2008 at 12:54 am

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you around more.

Ling@Uptake September 29, 2008 at 11:25 pm

The juice post was definitely the most thought provoking, though I’d say the post about the advertising model was more interesting, commercially speaking. As for the coming month, I’d definitely like to see a weekly update for the elections.

derek September 30, 2008 at 12:54 am

Hmm, a weekly update about the elections…that might be a little too much politics for this blog, lol.

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 30, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Yeah politics and religion — two things you keep away from discussing on the Internet unless you want a flame fest.

Michael Kwan September 30, 2008 at 12:34 am

Gah! I missed the list for this month.
Michael Kwans last blog post..Grammar 101: Lost in Translation and Transliteration

derek September 30, 2008 at 12:55 am

You’re such a slacker! 😉

Nick@romandock dot com September 30, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Ha! I finally beat you! 😀
Nicks last blog post..Cycling 4 A Cure & Running America

kouji@haiku poems examples September 30, 2008 at 2:48 am

i thought the post on how much to charge for advertising was the most interesting and helpful. 🙂 i like that it was pretty concrete.
koujis last blog post..haiku poem: others (about me)

derek September 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm

That is good information to have and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed that post. If there are similar types of topics that you would like to see discussed, please leave a comment or shoot me an email.

Nicole Price September 30, 2008 at 8:10 am

The juice is worth the squeeze. Obviously, it has left its impact on you too.
Nicole Prices last blog post..100th Post: Style for under $100

derek September 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm

No doubt, I have been very focused on enjoying the aspects of life that are worth the squeeze and not worrying about the rest.

Steve@Free iPods September 30, 2008 at 10:39 am

Surprised to see “how to record a cellphone conversation” still getting so many hits. That is fairly old now.

derek September 30, 2008 at 1:46 pm

You and me both, that was a post that I wrote while dealing with a situation that I was looking to resolve and the flow of traffic has been pretty steady. On top of that, I have been able to monetize (to a small degree) that traffic.

Andrea October 2, 2008 at 8:06 am

What i find funny is that i havent even read that post about recording a cellphone conversation. Maybe i shoudl check it out for a good read.

Nick@romandock dot com October 2, 2008 at 11:49 am

@Andrea – Read it to add to it’s hit count for next month 🙂
@Derek – By continuing to link to it, I wonder if you is helping to keep it in the top 10 and perhaps increase that internal page’s ranking in the search engines….congrats on being able to monetize the traffic from the hits that page receives Derek
Nicks last blog post..Cycling 4 A Cure & Running America

Jon@Custom T-Shirts September 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm

How do you know what site other people come from? Does wordpress tell you that?

derek September 30, 2008 at 1:47 pm

All of that information is from my Google Analytics account, which has a wealth of information for me as a blog owner.

Terry @ SEO Blog September 30, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Thats so funny that the top read post is the one about recording a cell phone call.
Terrys last blog post..Popular HID lamps

derek September 30, 2008 at 1:48 pm

The thing that I really find interesting are the search terms that people are using to arrive at that post. Really opens my eyes to the state of people’s relationships.

Nick@romandock dot com September 30, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Wow! I’ve never made the list before and here I am at #7! I guess this goes to show that advertising at romandock dot com is worthwhile 🙂
I wonder how long some of those posts on the top 10 will stay there, I think things like the cell phone conversation will continually be searched for, it’s then just a matter of how you rate in the search engines…
Nicks last blog post..Cycling 4 A Cure & Running America

Stan James September 30, 2008 at 6:39 pm

You got some good referring websites, keep up the good work =]

bob @ ipod repair September 30, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Wow this month has flown by. Christmas will be here soon

Andrea October 2, 2008 at 8:07 am

damn, dont remind me! :p

Tom @ Commercial Lighting October 1, 2008 at 6:19 am

That Exploding CD still gets ton of hits…thats funny

Saby from Christmas October 4, 2008 at 2:09 am

thanks for a great source of links. The majority of them are wirth reading indeed. I am new here and am highly impressed by your work 😉
Saby from Christmass last blog post..Christmas Crafts for Kids

Liza@Online Marketing October 7, 2008 at 9:02 am

I never was into politics but this election year seems so different. Every debate has the super bowl expectations and we can’t wait till they are on. Tonight’s debate (town hall setting) is going to be interesting. Witch the gloves off, I wonder how they will interact with each other.
Thanks for a nice blog. I enjoyed checking it out.
Liza