2008 AL Central Division Champions

by derek on October 1, 2008 · 29 comments

As you might remember, I am a devoted Chicago White Sox fan; so you can imagine my excitement with the result of their game last night versus the Minnesota Twins that crowned the White Sox as the 2008 American League Central Division Champions.

2008 AL Central Champs

This year the White Sox were selected by many of the experts to finish no better than 3rd or 4th in their division, which makes this that much sweeter. While their opponent in the first round, Tampa Bay Rays, will be a difficult challenge, I am hoping that they can continue to build on the momentum of winning their last three “must-win” games.
The MLB playoffs have taken on a special interest for Chicago area fans, as both the White Sox and Cubs are in the playoffs at the same time – which is something that has not happened since 1906. By the way, for any Cubs fans in the crowd, I will note that in 1906 the White Sox beat the Cubs in the World Series. Adding to the drama in the Chicago area is the fact that the Cubs last won the World Series in 1908, so many people feel that it is destiny that they win again in 2008.
Regardless of how the playoffs shake out, I wanted to congratulate the Chicago White Sox on winning the AL Central Division Championship.

Daniel October 1, 2008 at 3:50 pm

The guy, third from left, looks like Nolan Ryan.

derek October 1, 2008 at 4:29 pm

I’m going to assume that you meant the third guy from the right, which is Brian Anderson (who happened to make a great diving catch to end the game).
Juan Uribe looks nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like Nolan Ryan, lol.

Tom @ Commercial Lighting October 2, 2008 at 7:33 am

umm that guy’s back is turned?

Jon@Custom T-Shirts October 1, 2008 at 4:08 pm

It’s always great to see underdogs win 🙂

Steve@Free iPods October 1, 2008 at 4:26 pm

@Daniel, how can you tell from his back?

Nick@romandock dot com October 1, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I can’t image how much tickets would be if both teams in the World Series were from the same city…it would almost be as if every game for both teams was a home game…I can already see the fights in the bars and riots in the streets.
Nicks last blog post..Cycling 4 A Cure & Running America

derek October 2, 2008 at 7:07 am

That would be insane if we had a cross-town World Series in Chicago, as I am sure that the tickets would be outrageous and the fights between Cubs/Sox fans would be plentiful.

Nick@romandock dot com October 2, 2008 at 11:45 am

You would totally enjoy it though, wouldn’t you?
Nicks last blog post..Cycling 4 A Cure & Running America

derek October 2, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Honestly, I am torn on whether I would enjoy it or not…as the thought of the Sox possibly losing the World Series to the Cubs is one of the worst scenarios that I can imagine. Although I am confident that the Sox would beat the Cubs, particularly since the AL has home field advantage.

john@sprint upgrade October 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Well as a devoted Twins fan I have to say it was pretty crappy that we win the season series 10-8 but that current baseball rules don’t take that into consideration for home field advantage during the extra playin game – it was a lousy coin flip. Regular season should mean something!
That said, all we needed to do was take 2/3 from KC at the end and we are in. And we couldn’t do it. I knew after the emotions were so high after we swept you that it was going to be a downer after that. Too bad. But, we have a very young team and I like our chances for years to come.

derek October 2, 2008 at 7:09 am

While the coin flip worked out to the Sox advantage, I do agree that it doesn’t seem like a fair way to decide who gets the home field. As you mentioned, either team could have easily avoided that situation just by winning games that they should have won.

Ling@Uptake October 1, 2008 at 11:31 pm

John Kerry lifted the Curse of the Bambino for the Red Sox. Maybe Obama can do it for the Cubs. 🙂

derek October 2, 2008 at 7:10 am

Obama is a Sox fan!

Ryan October 2, 2008 at 12:05 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed Game 163.
The MVP? Whoever flipped that coin and gave the Sox home field for the game.
Ryans last blog post..Debate Tips From The Left

derek October 2, 2008 at 7:11 am

Lol, no doubt. From what I read, the guy that actually made the call for the coin flip (I cannot think of his name right now) was instructed by his young son which side to call and it worked out.

Sam October 2, 2008 at 12:21 am

Those guys played well.First they were estimeted as underdogs.It is always cool to see an under dog win a game.

Andrea October 2, 2008 at 8:09 am

“FYI, this post was supposed to be written and published last night but after celebrating the victory and watching more post-game coverage than any human should, I passed out before having a chance to do so, lol.”
you aint a spring chicken anymore, derek. *snickers*

derek October 2, 2008 at 8:30 am

Lol, you’re not kidding! I’ve been trying to get more sleep lately and it seems that has been making me more tired earlier in the evening. But even though I might be getting old, I still feel great!

Nicole Price October 2, 2008 at 9:01 am

Congratulations on your team’s win.
I somehow cannot bring myself to be excited about any one team. I like to watch a good game and enjoy the better team winning. I however know a lot of people like you who back one team or the other and get elated or suffer with each game.

Nicole Price October 2, 2008 at 9:02 am

Lucky I got your last paragraph! See what I mean?
Nicole Prices last blog post..Hypermiling

Johnnie Debt October 2, 2008 at 9:40 am

Thanks for information. I hope they will show who’s the master here!

Terry @ SEO Blog October 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Look out for the tigers in 09

Jon@Custom T-Shirts October 3, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Tigers? Look out for the Jays! Cito Gaston!

Nick October 4, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Ummm, are the Tigers even blimp on anyone’s radar?
Nicks last blog post..Cycling 4 A Cure & Running America

Pete@Time Tracker October 3, 2008 at 1:50 am

Wait…you watched more post game coverage than any human should, and didn’t get around to the more ‘productive’ matters at hand? I simply have no idea what you’re talking about. 😉
Petes last blog post..Lego Blocks as Time Trackers?

Bob @ ipod repair October 3, 2008 at 1:37 pm

I highly doubt the tigers will be doing anything next yesr

Saby from Christmas October 4, 2008 at 2:07 am

why not? They will do for sure. We’ll see, ok?
Saby from Christmass last blog post..Christmas Crafts for Kids

Kaiser@Free Car Insurance Quote October 28, 2008 at 8:24 pm

I like baseball as much as the next guy but for the past couple of years, i’ve started to like football more than baseball. Maybe it’s because i win more bets with my football picks…lol.