Speedlinking – September's Most Vocal

by derek on October 6, 2008 · 20 comments

During the month of September, overall volume of comments decreased slightly compared to August but the number of comments per post increased by roughly 20%. That may have been a result of the post that touched on the current political climate for the first time on this blog, or maybe it was the post about how much to charge for advertising.
To get a better idea of what contributed to the increase in comments per post, lets take a look at the most commented posts from the month of September:

As I mentioned earlier, there was an overall drop in the quantity of comments; moving from 498 comments down to 470 comments. While it would be nice to see the total quantity of comments increase, I was pleased to see that the per post numbers increased to nearly 28 comments per post.
Not only that but I truly feel that the important measurement is the quality of the comments and that is where all of you really shine. From top to bottom, each of you provide such outstanding feedback and insight with your comments. Often times one can be consumed with the quantity of comments regardless of the quality. Fortunately for me, quality of comments has rarely been an issue on this blog and that is due to the outstanding community.
In an effort to say thank you to a few additional commentators this month, I am going to change the format slightly and list the Top Ten Commentators from the month of September.

Top 10 Commentators

1. Nick from romandock dot com :: 30 comments
  2. Nicole Price :: 21 comments
  3. Bob from iPod Repair :: 19 comments
  4. Terry from SEO Blog :: 19 comments
  5. Steve from Free iPods :: 19 comments
  6. Jon from Custom T-Shirts :: 17 comments
  7. Ling from Uptake :: 17 comments
  8. Olly from Boss Effects Pedals :: 16 comments
  9. pauletet :: 12 comments
  10. kouji from haiku poems examples :: 9 comments

It is great to see both new faces and familiar faces among the list of top commentators, as that indicates that the “regulars” are still finding content worthy of their feedback and the “newcomers” are comfortable enough to jump right in with their own input.
The goal for the month of October is to increase my post count, which should subsequently increase the discussion among readers. As we near the election, I might have to toss in a political post here and there to stir the pot. Or maybe I will simply share more personal stories such as this one about my son punching the school bully in the face.
As always, your feedback is valued and appreciated. If there is anything that I can do to improve your experience here, please do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks for another great month!

Ling@Triphow October 6, 2008 at 10:06 pm

LOL! You really told you son to say that? And did he say it? You should cut down on the gangsta movies a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lings last blog post..Travel Industry Tanks Along with Wall Street

derek October 7, 2008 at 11:25 am

Lol, yes I really did tell him to say that – although for some reason I didn’t think he would actually follow through with it (but he did).

kouji@haiku poems examples October 7, 2008 at 7:10 pm

cool. i’m a big fan of standing up to bullies.
koujis last blog post..a haiku

Steve@Free iPods October 7, 2008 at 1:32 am

Way to go Nick, that is a nice amount of commenting there sir.
Thanks again to Derek to providing us a place to share our views. It’s not just the content, there is a great feel to your posts and the blog generally ๐Ÿ™‚

derek October 7, 2008 at 11:26 am

Steve, that is much appreciated. Thanks!

Nick@romandock dot com October 8, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Thank you, I guess I just like to speak (or type) my mind….plus Derek writes his posts in such a way that they are easy to comment on/about!
Nicks last blog post..New Gmail Feature For Drunk People

olly@cheap computer parts October 7, 2008 at 2:54 am

Thanks for the shout Derek – it’s appreciated.
I have decided for a new month I am now using new keywords and a new url but it is still me!
I enjoy coming back to your blog. You do a good job here and I think things are only going to grow in the right direction for you!

derek October 7, 2008 at 11:27 am

Yeah, I saw a couple of comments using this domain last month as well – you like wreaking havoc with my month end compilation of comments don’t you! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve@Free iPods October 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Are you ok with a bit of keyword changing then Derek? Would I lose the commentluv?

derek October 13, 2008 at 5:11 pm

You’re more than welcome to change your keywords, although it does cause issues when compiling the final numbers per person – but I now have my query condensing that pretty well at month’s end.

Justin@Airsoft Guns October 7, 2008 at 4:47 am

I really have to step my game up if I want to make it on the Top Commentators list. I’ve seen Kouji on nearly every blog I read; I suspect he really is a machine.
Justins last blog post..HFC-119B Airsoft Spring Pistol

Andrea October 7, 2008 at 7:18 am

congrats to all the top commentators!

Andrea October 7, 2008 at 7:41 am

you know, i was thinking….maybe your post count went down because of me. If you noticed, i didnt post at all last month. I was giving others the chance to win top commentator. Im just sayin’, ya know….COINCIDENCE??? hmm…..

derek October 7, 2008 at 11:27 am

You might be on to something there…
We’ll have to test your theory this month so you need to be very active, lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nicole Price October 7, 2008 at 9:00 am

Thanks for all the nice things that you say about your community. You fully deserve it. It is also nice that you have realized that you need to post more. I look forward to them in October.
If I had a son and he did what your son did, I would be proud too. I also agree that the school’s way of handling the whole matter leaves much to be desired. I wonder what stops them from using common sense.

derek October 7, 2008 at 11:29 am

This is not the first time that I have been left wondering about the qualifications of the people running the school that my children attend.

kouji@haiku poems examples October 7, 2008 at 7:12 pm

true. the school should be stepping in to prevent bullying, and not punishing students who stand up to bullies. in a way, schools can be bully enablers.
koujis last blog post..a haiku

kouji@haiku poems examples October 7, 2008 at 7:13 pm

thanks for the mention. ๐Ÿ™‚ appreciate it. looking forward to your posts this month.
koujis last blog post..a haiku

Nick@romandock dot com October 8, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for the shout and the opportunity to participate in the wonderful community here at dereksemmler.com ๐Ÿ™‚
I just read the bully story and WOW…it almost makes me wonder who the other kid’s parents are and what kind of connection they have with the school staff and administration that he gets away with that. At least it had a positive outcome and your son now gained an additional measure of respect that is sure to follow him at least till he graduates high school and will possibly have a profound impact on his entire future…
Nicks last blog post..New Gmail Feature For Drunk People

pauletet October 8, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Derek:) I never expected that i would be included in your list:) More power!