Blogging For Money :: September 2008

by derek on October 8, 2008 · 34 comments

During the Blogging For Money update last month, I commented that my recent financial performance had been a bit like a yo-yo, up one month and down the next. Since last month had been down, one would expect that this month was up.
And it was up – to the tune of my 2nd best month ever!
Do you believe in the law of attraction?
Proponents of the law of attraction could make the argument that my blog earnings have increased this month as a result of directing my thoughts and efforts towards finding a way to maximize my earnings.
Earlier in the month, we discussed the idea of how much you should charge for advertising and touched on the concept of private ad deals. In addition, after attending BlogWorld08 I had taken some time to step back and evaluate the possibility of blogging as a business.
Whether any of that had an influence on the performance in the month of September is hard to say, but I do believe that focusing your energy on a particular goal will often lead you to the success that you desire.

Dollars and Cents

The purpose of these monthly updates on my earnings is to demonstrate for all of you to see which tools are working on my blogs and which tools are not working. While that doesn’t mean everyone will experience the same results, as every blog is different, my hope is that it stokes the fire inside you to experiment with your blog until you find the right combination of tools.

Here is the Blogging For Money recap for September:

• $57.75
  • $135.50
  • $2.82
  • $0.00
  • $182.50
  • $742.20

For the second month in a row, AdSense earnings continued to increase with the $122.95 being the most earned in any one month with AdSense. That translates to approximately $4.00 per day in AdSense earnings and that has been holding steady through the first week of October as well.
PerformancingAds also made another nice showing, moving from earnings of $18.00 to over $80.00 for the month. Not bad for an ad service that simply integrated into a spot that was already displaying affiliate banners (which were not earning me anything) and has not required any additional effort on my part. If you haven’t already, I encourage you to sign up now and give it a try on your blog.
While the LinkWorth earnings were still low compared to previous months, right at the end of the month there were a couple of new advertisements that came through and will add to the bottom line in October. This is quite encouraging and I am looking forward to LinkWorth returning to the ranks of being one of my top performing tools.
Last month I had commented that there were a couple of private ad deals that had expired and I had not been able to replace them with new deals. In another encouraging sign, I was able to renew one of the previous advertisers for an additional six month term.
In an odd twist of timing, I had planned to remove Kontera from my personal finance blog as it had not been performing well at all, but never found the time to actually remove it and it more than doubled the earnings from last month. While it still has not performed extremely well, I found it funny to see that the earnings bumped up when I had intended to remove the ads.

Plans for October

The question that I face in October is whether or not I will be able to build on this momentum and break the up and down yo-yo of earnings. As I mentioned earlier, there were a few new advertisers that came on at the tail end of the month and that means the earnings will be more substantial with a full month of earnings.
While September brought a couple of business trips, October will be a time to get away with my family for a vacation at Disney World. Knowing that my time online will be severely limited during my vacation, I am working on lining up a handful of guest authors to share their voice. If you would be interested in being a guest author, simply let me know and I would be happy to work with you.
Thrown in for good measure will be my son’s 10th birthday, as well as my wife’s favorite time of year – Halloween.
Mixed in with all of that, I have to continue working on delivering content that delivers some degree of value for all of you. In addition, I will be doing my part to encourage discussion between all of us and work to continue building a growing community of outstanding people.
As always, please ask any questions that you have regarding my monetization in the comments below and we can continue the discussion. It is rewarding to be able to share with all of you and hopefully we can all continue to improve together.

john@swimlanes October 8, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Nice month, Derek! September was also my 2nd biggest month and this month is looking like it could be the best as so far I have averaged over $10/day in adsense which is SWEET.
I signed up for LinkWorth but had some problems when installing the code – it’s on my list of things to try again.
Performancing has not been a huge winner for me although I noticed today that I did book a couple of week ads. Need to see what I can do to drum up some business there.

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Give me a holler if you need help with the LinkWorth implementation. It can be a little tricky if you don’t know what you are doing.

@Stephen October 8, 2008 at 9:55 pm

My TLA continues to grow, but since my traffic has leveled off, my feedburner is really low, down to just two ads???
OTOH my VA work is growing and my consulting is taking off!

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Are the Feedburner ads through TLA? I haven’t been able to sell any of those spots as of yet.
Thanks for stopping by Stephen!

Ling@Uptake October 8, 2008 at 11:31 pm

I see that every month the biggest earner for you is Textlinkads. I’ve never used it myself, but everytime I see your earnings post, I finding myself wanting to use it somewhere. Question is, is it just you, or do other people as well make so much out of TextLinkAds?

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I don’t think it is just me, although a lot of people are hesitant to use them now for fear of being slapped around by Google.

Dawn October 9, 2008 at 12:37 am

Yes, I do believe in the law of Attraction. If you want good things to come into your life you must think positive thoughts.
Imagine yourself living the life you want and actually feel the emotions of living that life. By doing so, you emit transmitters into the Universe that send these positive signals, bringing to you what you are thinking.
Of course, you have to do the necessary steps to get there. You can’t just wish to have an abundance of money without applying yourself.
I recommend reading The Secret. It totally explains it all.
Best regards,
Dawn

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:38 pm

The Secret is on my reading list, unfortunately I haven’t been doing much reading lately.
But you make an important distinction, I believe that some people feel that all they need to do is think the positive thoughts and things will happen for them. That is part of it, but you also need to align your actions with your thoughts (which is where some of the LoA doubt comes from I believe, as if you do the actions you will get there regardless).

betshopboy October 9, 2008 at 2:48 am

Nice month, Derek!
Have you actually get paid from Performancing Ads?
betshopboys last blog post..Singapore Motorshow 2008

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:39 pm

No, I haven’t seen any payment from them yet. In addition, I have not seen a credit or report indicating any payment for the affiliates that have signed up under my account.

Nicole Price October 9, 2008 at 5:04 am

Congratulations. I am very happy for you.
I keep informing you that your blog will do well and it happens with fair amount of frequency! Yes, I believe in the law of attraction and leave all the trimmings out and it is just old fashioned common sense. Just being positive about life!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Discount Lingerie

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Nicole!

TechnoSamrat October 9, 2008 at 11:27 am

That’s a decent earnings Derek… Keep rocking..
TechnoSamrats last blog post..Ivory – Solitaire Tile Matching Game for Windows, MAC OS X and Linux

LovnLivn October 9, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Glad to see your blog is picking up and making you some money Derek, I wish you the best of luck in the future!
Keep at it!
LovnLivns last blog post..Happy New Year! – Have You Made a Resolution?

Nick@romandock dot com October 9, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Wow, congrats on the good month’s worth of earnings. I didn’t see PerformancingAds in your breakdown though…I think if you plan for your vacation like you are doing, that you shouldn’t notice any significant change in your earnings. I’m glad to hear you got one of your advertisers back too!
Nicks last blog post..Hams And Bloggers Share Some Attributes

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:41 pm

PerformancingAds is currently lumped into the “Misc” category as it hasn’t been implemented long enough to warrant its own category yet. Sorry about the confusion.

Ajith Edassery October 11, 2008 at 12:07 am

Hey,
How do you compare Linkworth wrt Text-Link-Ads? I was totally confused with their product offerings (too many of them in the panel) that I opted out of it.
Congrats on a good month of earnings!
Cheers,
Ajith
Ajith Edasserys last blog post..Yahoo launches Web Analytics Beta (IndexTools)

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Personally, I am not a fan of the Linkworth interface as it can be quite confusing. In addition, I have not been overly impressed with their mechanism for installing new link code on your site. TLA is much more seamless in that regard.
But I do like that they have a variety of different product offerings for publishers to leverage.

Tracy Benungski - Internet business make money online October 11, 2008 at 1:14 am

Great effort. Congrats and hope to see a higher amount in your blog for the next month.
Tracy Benungski – Internet business make money onlines last blog post..What Passive Promotions Can Do To Your Business (In A Good Way)

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Thanks, you and me both! 🙂

Alice October 12, 2008 at 1:47 am

I have recently stumbled upon something (see the website i have mentioned) that seems to make it easy for me to generate money through my blogs. Quality content + tools + marketing and other resources is that these guys are offering on a monthly basis. http://buyprivatelabelcontent.com is the name of site.

Kevin@Great Wall of China Facts October 12, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Those are some pretty good stats! I find the most success with google adsense mainly! It seems to be the big one. I had not idea that blogs could make this much money though. Do you optimize your blog at all?

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Optimize in what sense? I like to think that my blogs are optimized well for search engines in the structure of the code, as well as the use of certain keywords (although I really don’t make keyword usage a priority, I just write naturally).
Further, I think the blogs are optimized well in terms of ad placement, types of ads, etc.
Did you have something specific in mind with regard to the question about optimization?

Daisy@pregnancy information October 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Well done, Derek. It’s interesting to see that you’re adsense earnings are on the way up, as I noticed mine are too. I actually left it alone for a while as opposed to the usual testing (placement, styles) I do and suddenly it’s doing a lot better. I wonder why. Anyway I can’t wait to see if you surpass this month. I’m gonna go for a full sounding “yes”!

derek October 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Daisy, your support is appreciated. Part of the AdSense increase might be attributed to the calendar, as the season is starting to turn towards what is traditionally one of the most profitable in terms of advertising.

Ev oda daire October 13, 2008 at 2:58 am

My favorite is Textlinkads.

Steve@Free iPods October 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Nice work Derek, I hope October is a good one and that the vacation goes well. Disney is one of the places on my list to visit within the next few years (I would say, before I am too old, but already too late!)
September was my best ever month for advertising. In fact, it was my first ever month of advertising – lol

Andrea October 14, 2008 at 7:22 am

hmm, posts are down but money goes up….weeeeeeeeird!

Karen Davis October 14, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Great month earnings. Keeps you motivated to do better.

Niccolo Svengali October 17, 2008 at 9:37 am

Not a bad result. I should get into some kind of link sales myself, as that seems the easiest and most profitable after Adsense.

John Lessnau November 1, 2008 at 11:13 am

It’s never a good idea to brag about how much you make selling links since you don’t want to put a target on you and your link buying advertisers backs. Anyway, since you seem to be open to selling links, may I suggest selling links in existing posts via LinkXL.com ?

Neil@PS3 November 28, 2008 at 1:47 am

I have made about £12 in about 4 months from my advertising but I haven’t really created the sites I use it on specifically for advertising so it isn’t too bad.
I am thinking of going down the money making route soon though.