Speedlinking – Vancouver Edition

by derek on October 13, 2008 · 28 comments

In the time that I have been blogging, I’d estimate that 95% of the bloggers that I have met reside in or around Vancouver. Okay, that might be a bit of a stretch but it certainly does seem like a blogging hot bed.
Since Canada is a little “different” and they are celebrating the Canadian Thanksgiving today, I thought that I would use this Speedlinking edition to give a quick shout to some of my northern friends. In each case, I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to meet these people, even though I have only met one of them in person thus far.
1. Leo Chiang has not been blogging too much lately, although that might be because he is too busy enjoying some of the finer things in life – such as the 4th Annual Taste of Yaletown with a few of the Dot Com Moguls. Hopefully Leo escaped without too much damage at the hands of Ed!
2. Say it ain’t so! Stephen Fung has said goodbye to Happy Scooter and welcomed a new Dot Com Scooter to the family. Stephen has yet to name the new scoot…hmm, I think he should hold a contest to pick the new name. I’m guessing “Big Red” is not in the running.
3. Do you remember when I mentioned that Canada was a little “different”? Well, one person that embodies that is none other than Michael Kwan – who can run a successful freelance writing business but cannot manage to operate anything on two wheels without crashing. Fortunately, Michael has many other things to be thankful for.
4. Ed Lau might be letting his PC collect dust now that he has a Mac to go along with his Xbox 360 and PS3, but he has a reason to get excited and might even wet his pants in the process. The release of Diablo III has Ed warming up his mouse buttons again.
5. Personally, I have zero desire to get an iPhone due to the requirement to use AT&T service (which really sucks in my area) but Gary Ng knows all about the iPhone. Unfortunately for Canadian users that have service with Rogers, this iPhone 3G commercial that Gary found might be a little too close to home.

Michael Kwan October 13, 2008 at 8:05 pm

I’m a living paradox. Apparently, I have become Internet famous for crashing scooters and Segways. Well, if it attracts attention to my freelance writing services, that’s fine by me. Looking for a writer, anyone? πŸ™‚
Michael Kwans last blog post..Canadian Thanksgiving: I Am Thankful For…

derek October 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Nothing wrong with embracing your fame and using it to further your business, lol.

Nick@romandock dot com October 14, 2008 at 4:33 pm

You know what they say Michael: There’s no such thing as bad publicity πŸ˜€
Nicks last blog post..A Site By Any Other Name

Gary October 13, 2008 at 8:06 pm

Thanks for the shout out, Derek! Vancouver bloggers are taking over the internetz! πŸ˜‰
Garys last blog post..ScoreMobile: Sports Scores on the iPhone

derek October 13, 2008 at 10:43 pm

You’re welcome…so when is there going to be a big blogging conference up there in Vancouver?

Michael Kwan October 13, 2008 at 11:13 pm

We have big blogging conferences on a weekly basis. It’s called Dot Com Pho. πŸ™‚
Michael Kwans last blog post..Canadian Thanksgiving: I Am Thankful For…

Nicole Price October 14, 2008 at 10:47 am

From what I gather, that is not all that the people from Vancouver are taking over!

Ling@Uptake October 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm

And there’ll be a few more bloggers in Vancouver if Obama loses the elections. Lost of people are promising to move to Canada if the Dems lose again.

derek October 13, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Not a bad idea…I would have to consider that myself. πŸ™‚

Nicole Price October 14, 2008 at 10:48 am

You can not do that Derek, not even if it happens! What will the USA be without you?
Nicole Prices last blog post..Mobile Accessories

kouji@haiku poems examples October 14, 2008 at 3:26 am

ah, diablo 3. watching the trailer brought back memories of early diablo 1 play. πŸ™‚
koujis last blog post..halloween haiku poem

Andrea October 14, 2008 at 7:23 am

gaming ftw, yo.

Andrea October 14, 2008 at 7:19 am

I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE IPHONE!! *hmpf* :p

derek October 14, 2008 at 9:18 am

That you do…I still think it was pretty cool how you were streaming video from your iPhone and I was able to watch you work.

Andrea October 14, 2008 at 9:59 am

….if you want to call it “work” LOL

Nick@romandock dot com October 14, 2008 at 4:32 pm

That sounds pretty cool…how did you make that work?
Nicks last blog post..A Site By Any Other Name

Andrea October 15, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Remember me telling you about “jailbreaking”? well you jailbreak the iphone using Cydia. Open the Cydia app from the phone and install the Flixwagon app. Then once its downloaded, go back and run the Flixwagon app and PRESTO! iirc, you need a Flixwagon account.
Now in order to view my live stream video, you will need to go to the Flixwagon website. To view you dont need an account, just to broadcast you do.
Its all pretty simple really.
if i read correctly (LOL) they now have a widget where I can broadcast to my website so you can view it from there. that would be cool.

Nick@romandock dot com October 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm

That’s cool! I wonder if/when that sort of thing will be available for other phones…I know I saw a movie awhile back where they were streaming video back and forth between cell phones, but I don’t know how realistic that was.
Nicks last blog post..A Site By Any Other Name

derek October 15, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Wasn’t that in Tokyo Drift during the big race at the end?

Stephen October 14, 2008 at 11:20 am

“Big Red” is not on the list, though a contest would not be a bad idea if I get stuck on choosing a name. I’m close though…
Stephens last blog post..Stuffing a Home Office into Cramped Quarters

Leo October 14, 2008 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the link-love Derek!
Blogging and eating go hand-in-hand here in Vancouver πŸ˜‰

Acai Berry October 14, 2008 at 12:31 pm

diablo3 going to be awesome…been playing diablo2 to get warmed up for it…..

Nick@romandock dot com October 14, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I would like to echo a couple of those sentiments Derek. It does seem like a disproportionate number of bloggers hail from Vancouver. It also seems that of those from Vancouver, there aren’t many caucasions in the group…
I also agree that Leo hasn’t been posting near enough lately!
Nicks last blog post..A Site By Any Other Name

Leo October 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Sorry. I also have been feeling like my blog has been neglected but I’ve been so busy that sitting in front of a computer after 12-16 hours of work is difficult.
I love being busy but hopefully I’ll get a chance soon to post more often πŸ™‚
Leos last blog post..4th Annual Taste of Yaletown

derek October 17, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Did you get a new job? We all know actors don’t work that hard. πŸ˜‰

Nick@romandock dot com October 17, 2008 at 8:45 pm

12 – 16 hours of sitting around for the 15 – 20 minutes when you actually have to be in front of the camera πŸ™‚
Looks like it’s time for Leo to find a way to blog from outside his home, perhaps a PDA or smartphone or one of those ultra-portable laptops…
Nicks last blog post..Never-Published Posts

Justin@Airsoft Guns October 16, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I just watched the iPhone 3G commercial (although initially I thought it was real), and that was hilarious. Thanks for linking to that!

Justin@PureKaoz.com February 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Well, myself for one doesn’t think diablo 3 is ever gonna make it to shelves… well not “ever” but not for a long time yet. They have more bugs in that game than the jungle has on the ground. It’s ridiculous atleast thats what all us at PureKaoz.com think atleast