Adventures Of The Road Trip

by derek on October 28, 2008 · 33 comments

Road Construction Sign

As many of you know, I have just returned from a family vacation to Disney World in Orlando, Florida. What some of you might not know is that we drove there, that’s right – road trip!
The sign above literally could have applied to our return trip home, as we encountered a fair share of lane closures. As if the road construction was not enough, we also had a mishap with a dead deer on the highway.
Somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee in the wee hours of the morning, I had momentarily turned my head to look at the kids in the backseat. When I returned my eyes to the road, all that I saw was red blood all over the road and a massive deer carcass lying in the middle of the road. While I swerved to avoid the deer, I did not swerve enough and clipped the head with the front tire.
Fortunately we did not hit the deer straight on, as even though it was already dead and lying in the road, it was still quite substantial in size and could have done some damage.
An investigation of the car didn’t reveal any damage but everyone was a little shaken by the experience. We also had the joy of a “Service Engine” light, tire debris on the road, and a fair share of odd smells (only some of which came from inside the car, lol).
Along the way, we had plenty of opportunity to enjoy car conversations with the kids, which can become extremely interesting at 3am after hours of driving but overall we had an outstanding time on our road trip to Florida and Disney World.
Prior to arriving at Disney, we spent an afternoon and evening in St. Augustine, Florida where the kids were able to experience the ocean for the first time. From there it was a short drive to the Disney grounds where we enjoyed eight days of everything Walt Disney.
Rather than ramble on about our vacation, I thought that I would share a few pictures that were snapped while on vacation. In addition, I would like to extend my thanks again to all of the guest authors that were kind enough to share their words with all of us!

Footprints

Epcot

Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom Tree of Life

Fireworks @ Magic Kingdom

Pirate Cruise at Disney

Lizard

Cashmere Lashkari October 28, 2008 at 11:48 pm

While the other photos are great as well, the first one just steals the show! Did that sign actually exist?
Cashmere Lashkaris last blog post..Butter Bake Biscuits

derek October 29, 2008 at 12:17 am

Lol, not that we ever saw – although it certainly could have applied. That image was one that my wife actually had in her email when we returned home and I thought it was rather fitting.

Nicole Price October 29, 2008 at 4:24 am

Not only quite fitting, but nice way to start off your return to blogging!

Mira @Contemporary Dining Chairs October 28, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Yeah, that sign is eye catching. I think it must be digitally doctored. I liked the gnarled tree too.

derek October 29, 2008 at 12:19 am

That tree is actually called The Tree of Life (I believe) and is in Animal Kingdom at Disney. If you look at the larger image, you can see the trunk of the tree actually has animals carved into it. It is hard to see in the pic, I should have brought my Nikon to AK.

Micah October 28, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I really like St. Augustine. One of my favorite places.
Micahs last blog post..Riding "The Loop"

derek October 29, 2008 at 12:21 am

I’d never even heard of it before our trip. The day we left, we decided we wanted to stop the first day at a beach on the coast – so I pulled up a map and looked for something that was within a couple of hours of Orlando.
We really liked St. Augustine and felt we found a nice little place, although our choice for dinner was not the best. We loved walking on the beach though and playing in the waves.

Ling@Uptake October 29, 2008 at 12:23 am

Great pictures, Derek. Looks like you had a lot of fun, deer not withstanding. But then, its all part of the experience and the shared memories. And glad to have you back. Blog was feeling a bit lonely without you. 🙂

derek October 29, 2008 at 12:27 am

I’ve resisted posting family pictures of the kids but there are some great photos that I would love to share.
It is good to be back, I only logged in once on vacation and tried to respond to a few comments. It was refreshing to get away from everything for a bit.

Sophia Lane Lee October 29, 2008 at 2:59 am

Wow! Those images are amazing! I love the first one! So cool!
Sophia Lane Lees last blog post..NBA Most Valuable Player Award

Nick@romandock dot com October 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm

If by the “first one” you are talking about the one with the shoeprints in the sand, I like that one too. It actually kinda looks like an optical illusion!
Nicks last blog post..CodeWeavers Software Free For One Day Only Thanks To Falling Gas Prices

derek October 29, 2008 at 6:06 pm

I really liked the way that one turned out as well. The kids got a kick out of seeing the imprint of my Converse shoes as we walked back from the beach so my wife grabbed a picture of the best print.
The physical print almost looks like the shoe print is raised out of the sand, really kind of cool.

betshopboy November 3, 2008 at 1:59 am

The pic of the shoe imprints on the sand gave viewers the feeling that they were raised out of the sand. How did it stand out this way?
betshopboys last blog post..Cosplay @ GCA 2008

Jessica W October 29, 2008 at 3:38 am

Road trips are always big experience and adventures. You can learn a lot from them, and also enjoy, but sometimes and have pain with car mess and traffic stuck 🙂
That first image is really eye-catching.
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

Nicole Price October 29, 2008 at 4:25 am

You seem to have had a great time. Congratulations. Nice to have you back too.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Save Money this Halloween

Sarika@Dandruff Treatment October 29, 2008 at 5:19 am

I was wondering about that road sign. Picture used to good effect, I feel. Sounds like you had a wonderful break. A road trip is always fun.
Sarikas last blog post..Hair Color and Confidence

wilson October 29, 2008 at 6:33 am

Haha, I loved the first picture, Derek. It reminds me with all those traffic jam in the early morning that always made me pissed off!
wilsons last blog post..All She Needs is a Change and She Has Finally Made it!

John @ Maryland Real Estate October 29, 2008 at 8:44 am

Man have not been to Disney in too long. I absolutely love going with the family, might have to put another trip together know. ps absolutely love that first picture. Might have to steal it.
Johns last blog post..Ellicott City Real Estate

Andrea October 29, 2008 at 9:44 am

What camera did you take those pictures with? the nikon? Great picts nonetheless, thanks for sharing! (the odd smell coming from inside the car comment made me LOL)

derek October 29, 2008 at 9:54 am

All of our pictures were taken with my wife’s Canon SD1000. While I brought my Nikon along, it never even left the hotel room. The Canon is so much more portable and easy to stash away on a ride.

Nick@romandock dot com October 29, 2008 at 6:02 pm

That is the same reason that I never use my 35mm…in fact, I’m looking for a new digital camera, but want something smaller than what I have now with more features….I’ve got a couple in mind though

Monty J October 30, 2008 at 8:28 am

Hey images are great I like the first and the last one others were as well great. Nice
Monty Js last blog post..Patterns and Cutting

kouji@haiku poems examples October 30, 2008 at 4:38 pm

i really like that photo of the footprints. 🙂 nice. and i like the one of the lizard as well. interesting how such small things (and creatures) can make for suck striking images.
koujis last blog post..beer haiku poem

Justin@Airsoft Guns October 31, 2008 at 11:33 am

That was a close call with the deer! You are quite fortunate that you did not hit it head on. As for the pictures, I really enjoyed them, and I’m sure your vacation was very fun.

Congas October 31, 2008 at 12:08 pm

As much as I want to feel bad for you and your journey to the happiest place on earth, that story was hilarious. I couldnt stop laughing because it sounds like everyone goes through an experience like that at least once in their lives. My family vacations are very similar. Why fly when you can drive and have qality time with the fam but also have 100 things go wrong?! Great post and great pictures! -M

Chet@Disney Vacations August 8, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Sorry for the late comment, but I feel your pain. We drive to Walt Disney World each time we go, and I can’t stand lane closures. Especially when there are no workers in sight! Looks like you had a great time, though!

Josh from@Florida Family Vacations August 20, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m glad you didn’t hit the deer straight on. I’m from Minnesota and have hit a few deer in the past. More like they hit you. They will cause some considerable damage, even a smaller one. That could have put a damper on your vacation but glad it didn’t.

Mark@Bed and breakfast portugal November 15, 2011 at 6:12 am

Road issues are indeed a pain, certainly when experiencing these when you are on vacation with your family. Anyway Disney world is on our To Do list. Would like to comment on the posted pictures: the footprints picture stand out in my humble opinion. One of the footprint pictures I have seen, almost seems Photoshopped 🙂

derek November 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I can attest to this footprint picture being original, with only some cropping being done to keep it small – and that one in the center with the star was my Converse shoe. 🙂