5 Reasons You Should Trick Or Treat At My House

by derek on October 31, 2008 · 35 comments

Happy Halloween!
Halloween is my wife’s absolute favorite time of the year and I have to admit, I like it quite a bit as well. With Halloween being on a Friday this year, we are prepared for a late night of sugar highs for the kids and too many cold pops for the adults.
Before I share with you the 5 reasons that you should trick or treat at my house, let me just say that should your school district ever give the kids the day off on Halloween – get yourself a babysitter! The kids have been asking if it is time to trick-or-treat since about 9am this morning.
Now, here is why you should be coming by my house this Halloween:

1. Full Size Candy Bars

That’s right – there is no crappy handful of tootsie rolls or one Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup at our house. We stock up at Sam’s Club with the full-blown candy bars and give those out on Halloween. For some variety, we also buy the big packages of things like the Sour Punch Straws and Air Heads to give out.
Needless to say, we have become known as the house with the great candy and just about everyone makes a stop here. We even have people that no longer live in the neighborhood that have come over with their kids for the candy.

2. Cool Decorations

As I said earlier, my wife really gets into Halloween and puts out some really cool decorations. When she was in Cosmetology school, she had a handful of mannequin heads to practice on that have come in handy. They make great decorations out in the yard as they look very realistic with the real hair and makeup.
This year, we have decked out the garage as well. My wife hung up black sheets over the walls and then put up decorations over that. We have a fog machine that will be pumping out the fog along with the eerie music to set the scene.

3. Food and Beer

As the trick-or-treating is under way, we have a huge pot of chili going and have a variety of snacks and side dishes available. There are coolers full of drinks for the little ones, as well as drinks for the adults.
Not only that, but we take the party mobile as well. While the dads take the kids out trick-or-treating, we load up a wagon with a cooler of beer to enjoy as the kids run from door to door. When we see a fellow dad trudging along empty-handed, we offer a cold one to lift his spirits!

4. Extracurricular Activities

Once the night of running around begins to settle down, we will be having a movie out on the driveway. The projector will be shooting the movie right up onto the side of the garage for everyone to enjoy.
Where else can you go to get free candy, food, beer, and entertainment?

5. My Wife Is Really Cool

None of this would be possible if it weren’t for my wife, so you can stop by and marvel in her coolness like I get to do every day. Okay…you might be thinking that I am simply stretching for a fifth reason here but my wife really is cool. She said her coolness should count for two reasons, but I told her that was pushing it a little too far.
So there you have 5 reasons why you should be stopping by my house to trick or treat this year! If you’re not able to make it this year, you can always plan ahead for next year.

Happy Halloween!

Andrea October 31, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Happy Halloween too!
I must say you got me sold on reason number 3. I always down for a cold one.
Hope yall have a good one!

derek October 31, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Lol, that is one of my favorite parts too! We have a great tradition with the dads taking all the kids out while enjoying the mobile brewery, lol.
You too…hope you guys have a good time!

Dave October 31, 2008 at 3:29 pm

This makes me want to come trick or treat at your house. Happy Halloween, I’ll be out partying ๐Ÿ˜‰

derek November 1, 2008 at 9:16 am

Hope you had a good time Dave!

Daniel October 31, 2008 at 3:59 pm

You’ve just given me a reason to get that damn little red wagon, with #3.

derek November 1, 2008 at 9:17 am

Lol, it works out perfectly. We had three wagons this year, one was just for the beverages and two were for the kids that needed a break or to hold candy bags.

JiMpiSh October 31, 2008 at 5:32 pm

I totally would’ve come by your house if it was in my neighborhood. I would SLAY for some chili right now as we just got back. Saw a few parents with beers too. I wish I would have planned ahead just a bit more. It does really sound like a great time though at your place. ๐Ÿ™‚
Do the neighborhood kids come back after trick or treating for the movie or what?
JiMpiShs last blog post..JiMpiSh: Absolutely AMAZING weather for trick or treating this year! Lots of cute costumes on kids in my neighborhood!

derek November 1, 2008 at 9:20 am

We live on a court (cul-de-sac) and all of the kids from our street came down for the movie. The trick-or-treating “officially” ended at 8pm in our town so we started the show shortly after that.

Nick@romandock dot com October 31, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Sure sounds like a heck of a time….too bad you live so far away from here ๐Ÿ™‚
So what movie are you watching this year?
Nicks last blog post..KFC Turns to Current Events for Ad Campaigns

derek November 1, 2008 at 9:20 am

The movie this year was Monster House, which I recommend if you haven’t seen it.

Nick@romandock dot com November 3, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I haven’t seen it and might have to check it out sometime.

Money Bush October 31, 2008 at 11:17 pm

I am regretting not trick or treating this year…

Ling@Uptake October 31, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Anyone who has a fog machine has to be reaaaaly cool. I’d love to get my hands on one of those. Tell your wife she deserves the 2 spots. ๐Ÿ™‚

derek November 1, 2008 at 9:21 am

This year we used a new machine that actually blows out smoke bubbles, which were really pretty cool. When the bubbles pop, they turn into a puff of smoke.
I’ll tell my wife! ๐Ÿ™‚

Andrea November 3, 2008 at 9:13 am

Smoke bubbles? that is pretty bad ass!

Nick@romandock dot com November 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm

I’ve never seen such a contraption but it sounds way cool! I’ve seen smoke machines and bubble machines, but never a combination of the two…where did you get it?
Nicks last blog post..KFC Turns to Current Events for Ad Campaigns

derek November 3, 2008 at 10:16 pm

I’d have to confirm with my wife but I am pretty sure she bought this machine at Target.

pays to live green November 1, 2008 at 9:21 am

I would stop by your place when I was a kid. I loved the people that gave out full sized candy bars. Now I would stop by because of the beer ๐Ÿ™‚
pays to live greens last blog post..Maryland Environmental News: October 2008

Khaled November 1, 2008 at 12:34 pm

That’s a great setup, Im not surprising kids that no longer living in the area still come for trick or treating round your neighbourhood, sounds like they get a warm welcome. Halloween in the UK isn’t as big as the US, although this year people seemed to be getting more into the spirit of dressing up and both going trick and treating and having parties. We have a four year old, so it was her first Halloween party this year, which went very well as she was old enough not to be scared.

Jerry November 1, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Wow, I sure wish we had neighbors as cool as you! We’ve only lived in this house for two years and haven’t seen any trick-or-treaters yet!
Jerrys last blog post..Struggling economy

Nick@romandock dot com November 3, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I know what you mean Jerry, the first year I lived in the house I live in now (about 2 years ago), I was quite excited for Halloween. I carved a couple of pumpkins, bought some big bags of candy, and left the porch light on.
I think a total of like 4 kids came to the door… Since then I haven’t really worried about it. This year I bought a couple of smaller bags of candy for myself and figured if I happened to get any trick or treaters I would just give them some of that.
Nicks last blog post..KFC Turns to Current Events for Ad Campaigns

derek November 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Wow…our neighborhood is completely different as I would say we probably had 150-200 kids come to our house (and that is probably being conservative).

peter@Peter Answers November 2, 2008 at 4:10 pm

The kids were really bummed this year when one of the houses they usually go to stopped giving out the king-sized (yes you read that right) candy bars, only now giving out the regular sized ones.
peters last blog post..More Pranks & Gags

Jessica W November 3, 2008 at 3:10 am

Wow, those are really strong reasons to trick or treat at your house. Too bad i don’t live in your neighborhood :). I am sure you did have great Halloween Holiday, and that all kids form the hood were very happy ๐Ÿ™‚
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

Readerโ€™s Pick November 3, 2008 at 3:34 am

Wow, that is wonderful. Happy halloween. I’m sure kids will love that.

ferienhaus in danemark November 3, 2008 at 9:27 am

I wish there were more families who are as generous as your family and I hope we were living near your place because our young ones will surely love visiting your home. More blessings for your family!

Nicole Price November 3, 2008 at 9:37 am

Boy, do you make it tempting! I really wish that I could join you, but I have to satisfy myself by just wishing you all the best and I hope that you had a great time.

Internet Marketing Services November 4, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Smoke bubbles are way too cool!!!!

Susan@Oceanside November 4, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Sour Straws? I wish I knew!! Yum!!
Susans last blog post..Oceanside Beaches

John @ iPod November 4, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I like how you mentioned your wife. Very sweet.
You always get out of things as much as you put in. If you put in the effort decorating etc then you really do reap the rewards with the smiles on children’s faces.
John

Larry @ Commercial Lighting November 5, 2008 at 10:25 am

Wow full size… your the Halloween mack daddy

Steve@Free iPods November 5, 2008 at 1:56 pm

You have an “official” end time for trick or treat? Here in the UK, the teenagers don’t stop until there are no old people left to terrorize ๐Ÿ™‚

Jason@Wholesale November 11, 2008 at 12:41 am

Full size candy bars were always my favorite as a kid. I remember going home to get 5 different masks just to go back to the same house. To a kid a full size candy bar is an awesome thing. It’s actually not too expensive if you shop at costco and your house will be a favorite for sure.. you might even get some thank you notes ๐Ÿ˜‰

Travel India November 13, 2008 at 9:06 am

Well smoke bubbles and fog machines are an all time fav.

Neil@PS3 November 27, 2008 at 2:53 am

The movie on the garage wall is amazing. I would love to live near you. I would definitely bring the kids trick or treating at your house.
The beer would go down great as well