Election Night 2008 – History In The Making?

by derek on November 4, 2008 · 33 comments

All day long I have been looking forward to tonight – soaking in all of the reports and analysis of the Presidential Election. Hopefully each of you here in the United States has made it out to the polls to cast your vote in this election.
Personally, I made it out to the polls last week during the period of early voting to cast my vote – which if you have been tuned in for my Q&A sessions, you will know how I voted.
In the race for the President of the United States, one could say that the hopes of Barack Obama hinged on his ability to win at least one of these key states: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Virgina, and Florida.
Based on the reports that I have been watching, Obama has been projected to win both Pennsylvania and Ohio at this point. Further, it is interesting to note that no Republican has won the White House without winning the state of Ohio. Given that note, we are certain to see history made tonight.
The current analysis is indicating that the rally scheduled to take place in Chicago tonight is quickly taking on the atmosphere of a celebratory nature. Given my vote, I certainly hope that holds true and that we will be welcoming Barack Obama as the next President.
Regardless of how you have voted in this election and regardless of who does in fact win this election, let us all hope that the next four years bring positive results for the United States and beyond.
What do you think of Election Night 2008?

Charlie on the PA Tpk November 4, 2008 at 9:47 pm

I regret Sen. Obama rejected the Conservative base of the GOP, and has apparently paid the price.
As for my thoughts this election night, I hope I am wrong in all my predictions.
I hope President Obama goes against his pledge to let the Bush Tax Cuts expire, because if they do everyone’s taxes will go up.
I hope the new Administration and Legislature don’t toy with universal healthcare because I will need 2-3 jobs to afford the private care, as I will never let my family be totally covered by a gov’t plan (unless they out law that).
I hope VP Elect Biden was wrong, that our nation’s enemies aren’t waiting in the wings to test us. More people have died in Chicago this year than in Iraq, but I fear that our enemies plan something even worse.
I fear that no even the inevitable court challenges will keep talk radio on the air, since Democrats in Congress are chomping at the bit to impose the foolishly named Fairness Doctrine
I hope I am wrong that a President Obama won’t make it illegal (or unaffordable) to own guns.
You can say it’s history in the making; I am glad I can teach my kids what freedom and capitalism was, in the hopes they can live in such an America once again.
Charlie on the PA Tpks last blog post..Don’t you hate it when you are proven right….

derek November 5, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As I had mentioned at the close, whether you are happy with the decision or not, it is what it is and for the well-being of us all I am hoping that it is for the best.

Kelvin Kao November 4, 2008 at 9:48 pm

It’s the first election that I voted in. It was good to have participated.
Kelvin Kaos last blog post..Episode 17 – Chet for President

derek November 5, 2008 at 3:08 pm

That is great to hear and congrats on participating in your first election!

Micah November 4, 2008 at 9:49 pm

I think that they call the states way early, so hopefully nothing has to change after the count comes in.
Can’t wait for it to be over, and hope that Obama wins it big.
Micahs last blog post..Happy Halloween!

Stephen November 4, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Well done America! Your cousins up North salute you. The world also salutes you.
Choosing Barack Obama is a step in the right direction to repairing America. We need the US strong and competitive again. Tonight also showed that the US is ready to embrace change and to take on the great challenges ahead. I am happy to have witnessed this historic event with you.
Stephens last blog post..Completely Random Things – Presidential Election 08 Edition

derek November 5, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Your point about other countries embracing the selection of Obama is quite valid, as I do believe that he brings a much stronger image to the US than had McCain won the election.

Jayson November 5, 2008 at 12:24 am

The election went pretty much as I expected and I hope it’s a right direction for our country, it feels like it is.
Both candidates gave great speeches…as usual, Obama’s speech was more captivating and moving. Hopefully, he’ll be a great president, America knows we need one.

derek November 5, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I’m in agreement with you that this feels right to me and I have great confidence that we are making a step in the right direction. Obviously time will tell whether these feelings are accurate.

Ling@Uptake November 5, 2008 at 12:26 am

Blowout victory for Obama. He swept everything – all the swing states. Big mandate. Let’s just hope he doesn’t use all this political capital for partisan issues, and instead focuses on getting things back on track.

Jessica W November 5, 2008 at 2:15 am

Pure win for Obama. Let’s see some changes now finally.
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

Amanda November 5, 2008 at 7:06 am

Obama win!!! Wow, it’s great victory!

Nicole Price November 5, 2008 at 7:13 am

As I write this, the results are in and the USA has won! Such a contest and outcome can only happen in the USA. The whole world now looks to the new President to put matters right. He is not inheriting a bed of roses.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Green Tax Breaks

suzanne November 5, 2008 at 9:58 am

the best man won!

Larry @ Commercial Lighting November 5, 2008 at 10:24 am

We are ready for real change. Finally the rest of the world can now respect us.

Tech November 5, 2008 at 1:18 pm

And the big change had come… We just hope it will be better fot all the world.
Techs last blog post..Sony Ericsson Announced The W705

John @ Maryland Real Estate November 5, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I’m just glad that the election is finally over. I was less concerned about who won, just want all the uncertainty and speculation to be over and things get back to normal.
Johns last blog post..West Friendship Real Estate

Steve@Free iPods November 5, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Another piece of fantastic history. When Obama was born, different races couldnt even go to the same schools, how the world has changed.

Varicose Vein Treatment Utah November 5, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I am just glad its all over. I was sick of both sides although I am glad with the decision. Its better than someone who sings we should bomb Iran.

Nick@romandock dot com November 5, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Regardless of the outcome, the one thing that I found to be the most amazing is the differences between popular and electoral vote in this election. I know that it’s just the way the system is set-up but I was amused watching the results roll in and that the popular vote was never more than a few points apart but the electoral vote was almost always 2:1 for Obama.

Charlie on PA Tpk@Nobody asked me, but... November 5, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Easily explained by the major population centers on the east coast. There are many who want the Electoral College overturned, but once you really study its science it becomes clear why it is necessary.

Nick@romandock dot com November 5, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Yeah, I haven’t done an extensive study of it, and in some senses I can understand why they do it that way, but at the same time I’m not sure if I completely agree with it.
The other thing I found amusing was how they were calling states and awarding electoral votes for states with only 5-7% reporting.
Nicks last blog post..Housekeeping – November 2008

Ryan November 5, 2008 at 7:28 pm

After watching McCain’s concession speech, I would say Obama is probably glad that *wasn’t* the McCain that ran in the general election. That McCain would have been a more formidable opponent.

derek November 5, 2008 at 7:44 pm

It is funny that you mention that as I had thought the same thing last night while watching it and it seems that has been widely discussed today.
However, I still did not expect such a large margin of victory in terms of electoral votes.

Ryan November 6, 2008 at 3:00 am

The fact that Obama was able to win pretty much *all* the known toss-up states really speaks to the kind of sweeping victory he enjoyed.
From the Palin pick, to the “suspension” of the campaign, to the incessant and ridiculous focus on some random plumber from Ohio, I honestly believe history will look at the McCain campaign as one of the more ridiculous general election campaigns ever run.
Ryans last blog post..Africa Is A Country?!?!

Julie November 6, 2008 at 7:47 pm

I was glad to see that no rioting took place! I hope that Obama can turn this country around – we have been going in the wrong direction for way too long!

Glendale lawyer November 7, 2008 at 12:39 am

I couldn’t be more happy that Obama won! I was glued to to CNN as the votes were coming in. All I kept thinking was, I hope this isn’t another Florida.
During Obama’s speech in Chicago, he mentions he alone can not make the changes, we all need to do our part. It’s time we conserve energy, it’s time to help our communities and children, and if we all do our part I believe we can rebuild this country to be better than ever. Dawn

Justin@Airsoft Guns November 7, 2008 at 5:50 am

This is history right now! The first African American President of the United States of America. Just 50 years ago, black people were prevented from voting in some districts and even still being lynched. Now look… it must be weird for Klan members who were around in the 1930s to see this now! As bad as 9/11 was, this is as good. Obama is going to do a great job.

Charlie on the PA Tpk June 10, 2010 at 5:48 am

I am curious… for all above who heralded the election of President Obama, how do you like him now?
How’s that respect we’ve gained internationally? Our allies wonder if we have their backs, our enemies are laughing at us.
How is it going that depite the repeated (and well earned) criticisms of President Bush spending, the deficit was never as large as a percentage of GDP as it is today?
How is it that temporary Census workers make up much of the employment gains, with the majority of the rest being goverment jobs? How do you like 9/7% unemployment? Do you remember the criticism Pres. Bush recieved when unemployment hit 5%? How about all of those shovel-ready jobs? How about Pres. Obama’s pledge that stimulus would prevent unemployment from exceeding 8%?
How is President Obama, the chief executive who has never been an executive of anything else, doing?

derek June 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I think I know how you feel about it. 😉
To say there have been bumps along the road would certainly be a gross understatement, but by the same token I don’t believe it is necessarily just to say that all of the points are entirely the fault of Obama either.
Beyond that, how have you been Charlie? It is good to hear from you!

Charlie onthe PA Tpk June 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I don’t know, Derek…. at some point you have to stop blaming your predecessor. I don’t know when that it is, excactly, but I am pretty sure 500 days is well passed that point!
And unless someone can blame Pres. Bush for all the state dinners Pres. Obama is holding, that lack of attention to state matters is purely his doing.
Beyond that, I am hanging in there, with the prospects growing daily that I will either need to find a new job or face being cut before too long… thought I had until 2013, but now it’s not looking that bright. But I am working towards reinventing my brand with social media, so we’ll see where that takes me.
Hope you and yours are well.
C

derek June 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Glad to hear you are hanging in there; I just came out on the other side of corporate layoffs and restructuring. Now we’re in that fun period where everyone is doing new things and there is a lot of turmoil, but it is a paycheck for the time being.
The family is doing well, kids are about to start their baseball playoffs and national dance competition respectively. Summer vacation is in full swing for them.