by derek on November 19, 2008 · 15 comments

Lately we have been discussing the fact that more and more businesses are beginning to explore how the social media space can be of benefit to their business. One business that is embracing social media happens to be a business of much personal interest to me…Harley-Davidson.
While riding season is coming to an end here in the Midwest and I begin to think of the Harley mods on my wish list, I have been fortunate enough to have been put in contact with someone that works at Harley-Davidson and has provided me with an amazing opportunity.
I’ve been given a chance to put together a handful of questions pertaining to Harley-Davidson and their initiatives in the social media space. Beyond being the General Manager of the Chicago White Sox, I think working on social media at Harley-Davidson would be a dream job – so getting this insight into their initiatives is a really cool opportunity.
In an effort to share this opportunity with all of you, I want to ask you – what would you want to ask the people at Harley-Davidson about their initiatives in the social media space?
Submit your questions here in the comments, or send me an email, and I will do my best to get your questions answered.
In the meantime, here are a few places that you can find Harley-Davidson to see what they are up to with social media:

Ryan November 19, 2008 at 8:39 pm

One of HD’s biggest business issues moving forward, in my view, is aging of their key demographic. I would like to know if their social media presence is, or will be a direct attempt at targeting a younger group of buyers.
Also, one of the more prominent aspects of HD ownership has traditionally been the camaraderie with other riders through participation in H.O.G., etc.. Does the company feel it can create a similar (if less tangible) dynamic through social media, which might reach out to a different buying demographic?
Ryans last blog post..Down The Tubes

Ling@Uptake November 19, 2008 at 9:26 pm

How about a get-together at the Harley-Davidson Museum? Would be one heck of a party, with all the bikes parked outside. Excellent publicity and the press worldwide would love it.

Nicole Price November 20, 2008 at 9:06 am

Sorry Derek, not quite my cup of tea!

Health insurance india November 21, 2008 at 4:21 am

I use Digg, propeller, YouTube, facebook, StumbleUpon, Ning etc social websites to promote my websites and blogs
Health insurance indias last blog post..FAQs on Personal Loans

Nick November 25, 2008 at 12:28 am

Congrats on the great opportunity Derek, it will be exciting to read the report on your discussion with the representative. Unfortunately, I can’t think of any questions off the top of my head…unless you want to ask them to solve my situation from my guest post here 😀
Nicks last blog post..Code of Federal Regulations

Neil@PS3 November 29, 2008 at 7:34 am

Thanks for all the information. not really a biker but will have a read through some of these

mark cripps August 12, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I’m writing a practical exercise for a social media training workshop I’m running — it’s based on HD’s use of social media … was wondering a) if you received more questions than these and b) if you ever forwarded them to HD (and what did they say?).
I’ll send you my exercise/training deck if you’re interested.

derek August 12, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I did not receive more questions than this; nor did I ever send the questions that I did have over to HD. I’m still in communication with them though.
I’d be interested in taking a look at the materials that you have put together.

Simon @ Harley Davidson Leather Jackets August 22, 2009 at 4:10 am

I love my Harley Davidson and go riding every weekend. I keep up to date with everything through various social media sites that are updated regularly.
.-= Simon @ Harley Davidson Leather Jackets´s last blog ..High Visibility Motorcycle Jackets =-.

Scott@Chicago Business Attorney September 1, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Using social networking sites to promote your site and communicate with like minded individuals is a great way to increase business opportunities and make more contacts within the industry.

Jannice@Project Colloboaration September 25, 2009 at 12:57 pm

How can HD be able to translate the camaraderie or the way they interact with owners/enthusiast in the past into today’s social media environment?

harley guy January 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Harleys sell themselves….. the people that buy them are buying into a way of life.

harley guy January 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm

And most harley riders are friends with other harley riders so its all pretty viral on the social networks

harley davidson gifts March 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Wonder if we’ll see some of these old harley riders tweeting to organise their next get-together 🙂