Harley-Davidson XR1200 Coming To The U.S.

by derek on November 25, 2008 · 26 comments

As many of you have seen in recent weeks on this blog, Harley-Davidson is a company that is quickly embracing social media. One such Harley-Davidson social media initiative is to leverage the blogosphere to help build excitement about their brand.

Harley-Davidson XR1200

Well, I have some exciting news for fans of Harley-Davidson – the XR1200, inspired by the legendary XR750, is the newest member of the Sportster family and is coming to the U.S. following its Europe-only release early this year.
The XR750 was the most dominating American dirt track racking motorcycle of all-time, earning the Number One plate in an unprecedented 26 AMA flat track seasons. When the XR1200 had a Europe-only release, many riders in the U.S. were anxious to see if they would bring the bike stateside.
That time has come!
In a tribute to the XR750, there is a pre-sale of only 750 XR1200 models that will begin on December 1st, 2008 and end on December 15th, 2008.

Harley-Davidson XR1200

More information on the Harley-Davidson XR1200:

Drawing significant design influences from the successful Harley-Davidson XR750 motorcycles that set new standards for dirt track racing success over the last 30 years, the XR1200 features technical innovation to provide potent street performance and handling. In fact, Harley-Davidson dirt track racing legends Scott Parker and Rich King participated in the XR1200 development, along with European GP racing champion Adrien Morillas.
The 1200cc Evolution V-Twin cranks out 90 hp with high torque. Rubber mounted to a new frame with a cast aluminum swingarm, the engine delivers exhilarating performance and responsive handling with less vibration. A unique upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight shot exhaust system includes dual mufflers and is finished in satin chrome.
A sport-tuned Showa® suspension with inverted 43 mm front forks and twin preload adjustable shocks combines with lightweight black cast three-spoke wheels to make the XR1200 ride and corner with feeling. Specially designed Dunlop® Qualifier D209 tires connect the rider to the road, while Nissin® four-piston calipers and large dual disc front brakes provide stopping power.

There will be more information, including a video of the XR1200, from Harley-Davidson as the bike is released. As soon as I hear word of this information being available, I’ll let you know.
In the meantime, I will make the suggestion to Harley-Davidson that if they really want to leverage social media, they should select one of the top 40 bloggers (ahem, raising hand) to spend some time with a demo of the XR1200 and write about their experience.
After all, if Kawasaki can do it, why not Harley-Davidson? 😉

Stephen November 25, 2008 at 1:46 pm

That looks a lot like the Yamaha MT-01, but friendlier looking. The MT-01 is just pure evil looking (with 1600cc’s behind it). I think I would die on that bike.

derek November 26, 2008 at 10:01 am

It does closely resemble the MT-01. Not too long ago I had seen an article about a turbo-charged MT-01 that was putting out 160 hp, that is just sick!

RyanW November 25, 2008 at 3:56 pm

It’s a cool looking bike, and a welcome addition to the Sportster line.
However, I just don’t understand why HD is not focusing its design efforts on a bike that utilizes the existing Revolution power plant of the Vrod line. Something along the lines of a power/sport-touring bike, with factory installed bags. Their current touring rigs are nice, but they just don’t appeal to the under-50 crowd in large numbers.
Perhaps they’re working on it and it’s all being kept tightly under wraps. They are going to have to build a new bike with mass appeal to a younger (say 30-45) demographic sometime in the next few years, and this niche bike won’t do it.
That being said, I’d gladly demo it as well 🙂
Also, any idea how this bike is selling in Europe where it’s already been available? I wonder if the 750 “allotted” for sale here in the U.S. are part of the European inventory which they don’t think they can sell there.
RyanWs last blog post..MobileSafari Toolbar Mess

derek November 26, 2008 at 10:07 am

I’ve not seen any reports on how well it has been selling in Europe, although I wouldn’t think they would introduce it here if it were not selling there.
Actually, given their interest in the social media space, which traditionally is focused on a younger demographic, it would be great to see them release a sport-touring bike targeted at that market.
I think they’ve done a good job targeting a younger demographic with some of the newer models such as the Cross Bones and the Rocker, so maybe they don’t have the numbers that support the interest in a sport-touring model.

Nick@romandock dot com November 26, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Personally though, I hope that with all the efforts some of the companies are making to appeal to younger demographics (i.e. sport bikes) that they don’t decide to eliminate the cruisers and standards that made them big in the first place.
That said, isn’t Ducati the sport bike division of Harley Davidson, and if so, what would be the benefit of producing a Harley branded sport bike?
Nicks last blog post..Code of Federal Regulations

derek November 27, 2008 at 10:13 am

Buell is the sport bike division of Harley-Davidson. There has been some speculation that that is the reason they did not initially release the XR1200 in the U.S., as they didn’t want to take away from sales of their Buell bikes.

Jessica W November 26, 2008 at 3:50 am

Will American model completely follow the European one, or will have some improvements and modifications ?
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek November 26, 2008 at 10:14 am

I’ve not seen the complete specifications but I would imagine that there will be small differences due to things like emission regulations. But the European model is produced out of their Kansas City plant, and I imagine the U.S. model will come off of the same line.

Nicole Price November 26, 2008 at 8:24 am

It is not easy being a woman and reading posts like this! You guys seem to have all the fun with such toys!
Nicole Prices last blog post..The Best Recipe Sites

derek November 26, 2008 at 10:15 am

You know, women can enjoy a bike like this just as much as a guy!

Nick@romandock dot com November 26, 2008 at 5:58 pm

That certainly is an interesting and fun looking bike. With the contact and relationship that you currently have and are building with them, I will not be surprised if they let you ride one for awhile to review and promote 🙂
Nicks last blog post..Code of Federal Regulations

derek November 27, 2008 at 10:15 am

I hope you’re right! 🙂

hariman November 27, 2008 at 10:07 am

Wow… nice motorcycle. I hope I could buy it.

Steve@Free iPods November 27, 2008 at 4:49 pm

Get a car, stay safe !

Neil@PS3 November 28, 2008 at 7:44 am

That bike looks amazing but I am not really a bike fan after a few of my friends have had a few hair raising experiences on them

Paul@Green Home November 30, 2008 at 11:44 am

I think that Harley could really use the blogosphere to their advantage if they added a green edge to their social media campaign. Or would this not be part of their company ethos and image?

Steve@Free iPods December 1, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Are Harley’s good for the environment then?

buell blast parts February 25, 2009 at 8:18 am

Harley has a maximum power turbo so everybody gonna love this bike, hopefully it will going to be upgraded in the near future

LED March 11, 2009 at 8:28 am

Nick@Motorcycle track days July 10, 2009 at 7:57 am

This is exciting! I check out some bike tracks every once in a while as its fun to see people racing through the corners and going way faster than you can on the highways. I don’t remember seeing many harleys at these events as most are custom street bikes. I wonder how many of these will show up in the future?

Harley Davidson Dealers October 29, 2009 at 7:42 pm

It kind of looks like a crotch rocket.

P. Veazey@ air ambulance November 11, 2009 at 9:25 am

I think the bike design is ugly.

reporter online December 27, 2009 at 4:10 pm

love harley; the legendary motorcycle!..nice post! best reguards from BARCELONA, and happy new year 2010!

derek December 27, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Yes, I love my Harley but unfortunately it has been stuck in the garage now that the snow and ice has arrived.
Funny that you mention Barcelona, I was there earlier this year and have a story that will be shared shortly in a new post.

rich@motorcycle spares uk August 17, 2011 at 3:13 am

will this motorcycle be in the uk?