Glitch With Performancing Ads :: Signs Of Trouble?

by derek on November 26, 2008 · 27 comments

One of the focal points of this blog is discussing the effort to make money with your blog, which as many of you know includes testing new tools that have the potential to bring in revenue. Not too long ago, one of the tools that we looked at was the PerformancingAds Network.
Since introducing this tool on my blog, I’ve made money and spent money with the ad network. While people like Nick pulled the plug on using the service, my experience with PerformancingAds has been pleasant overall.
Until recently.
For the last few weeks, there has been an ad running in my sidebar that had been booked for a period of one week. As one week turned into two weeks, I noticed that the ad was still being displayed. On closer inspection, I realized that the PerformancingAds interface indicated that this ad was now a self-booking ad, which it is not.
After exploring the PerformancingAds site and reviewing all of my options, I did not see any way to remove this ad from being displayed. By this point, two weeks had turned into three weeks and this ad was still being displayed at no cost to the advertiser.
It was time to send an email to PerformancingAds support.
Friday afternoon I submitted an inquiry via their website and by Monday morning I had received a response from support. The response that I received indicated that PerformancingAds had experienced a server glitch that caused ads to be stuck. New ads were not appearing, while expired ads did not disappear.
From what I was told, as well as this twitter announcement, the issue was resolved and the ad regions should now appear with the correct ads.
Unfortunately, I have to disagree that the issue has been resolved. The same ad that was improperly listed as a self-booking is still being displayed. That very same morning that I received the response from the support staff, I replied that the issue did not appear to be resolved. As of right now, I have yet to receive a follow-up response.
Is this a sign of trouble with PerformancingAds?
If this were an isolated issue, I might be more inclined to chalk it up to nothing more than a technical problem that they were working to resolve. However, I have noticed a few other things that are cause for concern with the use of PerformancingAds.

• Inability to remove self-bookings. Once an ad is booked as a self-booking, I don’t see any way to edit or remove this advertisement. This is a design flaw in my opinion and detracts from the appeal of using their service to manage my own private ads.
  • Affiliate earnings. According to their affiliate program, you earn $10 for each publisher and/or advertiser referred to the program. While the reports indicate that I have referred people to the service, I don’t see anything displaying information about my affiliate earnings.
  • Payment schedule. Since signing up at the end of July, I have earned money every month with the service yet I have only received one payment. Taking a quick look at their site, I don’t see mention of the payment schedule to know whether this is an expected delay or a problem on their end.

While I have had a positive experience with PerformancingAds up until recently, I am beginning to question whether or not I want to continue using their service. Their response to this “server glitch” will go a long way to determining how long I stick with them, so hopefully they come through and properly fix this problem.

Chris Garrett November 26, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Yes there have been problems but they should be ironed out now.
The payments go out on the 1st of the month and you get paid according to the minimum payment you have set in your account. If the amount owed is less than the min payment the money rolls over to next month.
For the affiliate scheme, this is changing from the 1st, an announcement will be coming in your email (once Aweber allows us to import the email list).
The old scheme was $10 for each referral IF that referral becomes an active user (installs the ad code and a region for 30 straight days) and subject to typical anti fraud controls (because if there is a system people will try to exploit it).
Our new system is moving to a much simpler one to administrate and understand, and gives you a lifetime income rather than one off payment.
Let me know if I can help further and if you are still experiencing problems?

derek November 26, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Chris, I appreciate you stopping by and sharing this additional information.
With regard to the current affiliate setup, is there any way to distinguish whether or not a referral has installed the ad code? Maybe that is why I have not seen any affiliate earnings, as the people I have referred have not actually installed the ad code and created a region.
As for the problem, I am still experiencing it and could use your assistance. The ad in the lower right column of the sidebar, the one with the woman in a questionable position, should have been removed more than two weeks ago.
It is listed in my region as a self-booked ad, when it had been a paid ad for one week that should have expired on 11/10. I’d like this ad removed as it is not a self-booking and it is no longer active per the advertisers payment.
Again, thank you for stopping by and giving this your personal attention!

Nick@romandock dot com November 26, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Sorry to hear that your luck may have run out with the Performancing Ads program. Thanks for the deep-link! It seems you’re better at deep linking my posts than I am πŸ™‚
It’s pretty cool to see that Chris from Performancing Ads stopped by your site and offered some help though…especially considering I couldn’t get them to respond to my emails and help me get started with their program on a positive note. I guess they just must like you better πŸ˜›
Nicks last blog post..Under The Bridge: A Literal Music Video

derek November 27, 2008 at 10:19 am

You’re welcome for the link, I try to remember relevant posts from blogs that I read as much as possible.
As for this issue, I am thrilled that Chris took the time to stop by and personally respond. That goes a long way with me.

Neil@PS3 November 27, 2008 at 2:45 am

Sorry to hear about all your problems with the ads network. I have been looking at different networks for my new venture into blogging. Should hopefully have a new blog up and running pretty soon

Chris Garrett November 27, 2008 at 3:41 am

@Derek – Hoping we can have you sorted asap
@Nick – If you are up for giving us a second chance I would be happy to help you out? There have been lots of changes with the service lately, not least the folks answering support emails πŸ™‚

derek November 27, 2008 at 10:21 am

Chris, many thanks for your help! The problem with the ad in question has now been resolved and I appreciate your time and attention in this matter.
As I mentioned above, I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to stop by and get involved. Thanks.

Nick@romandock dot com November 28, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Like most bloggers, I am constantly experimenting and trying new things. I would be willing to give your program a second chance if things will be better than they were before. I look forward to contact from you πŸ™‚ Feel free to pull my contact information from your system and send me an email!
Nicks last blog post..Under The Bridge: A Literal Music Video

Ajith Edassery November 27, 2008 at 10:58 am

@Derek,
I had written a follow up post on Performancing Ads as well. In fact, their system doesn’t display a lot of details and sometimes the information just disappear. Regardless of this the payments have been coming in though I got paid much lesser for my referrals. Waiting for December 1st to see if there’s any change in payment pattern and then will continue with it. For now, I have taken out the ad.
Cheers,
Ajith
Ajith Edasserys last blog post..5 Practical Ways To Use Twitter Beyond What It Stands For

derek December 1, 2008 at 11:02 am

Ajith, based on the feedback that Chris has shared here and an email that I received, it appears that they are making a few changes that should address some of these concerns.

Andrea November 27, 2008 at 10:49 pm

glad you finally got that ad off your blog. i laughed at it everytime.
btw, happy thanksgiving to you/family and all your readers. πŸ™‚

derek December 1, 2008 at 11:04 am

Lol, no doubt. While it was unfortunate that it required a blog post to get it resolved, I was pleased with the response and quick turn around time once the right people were aware of the problem.

Jessica W November 28, 2008 at 2:57 am

It’s good to see representative from Performancing ads helped you here right in time. The ad is no longer there πŸ™‚
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

Ling@Uptake November 29, 2008 at 12:11 am

Well, that was fast. Problem’s all sorted out and I didn’t even get to chip in with my 2 cents. But glad you got it cleared up.

Hair Extensions November 29, 2008 at 4:43 am

I am fully introduced with ads but I am in a confusion of how to make money online through your own blog. Will you post a new one making it clearer for me? I will be very pleased. Thanks for the introduction of ads.
Hair Extensionss last blog post..24" Long Clip In Hair Extensions Full Head Set, Deluxe Set ,Highlights Set,wigs, quality curly, straight hair pieces,clip in, clip on

Damien November 30, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Kudos to Chris. Seldom these days do you see companies try and keep complaint customers.
Damiens last blog post..Consensual Infidelity

derek December 1, 2008 at 11:05 am

Having had a chance to meet Chris at SOBCon earlier this year, I have to say that knowing he is involved with PerformancingAds gives me a sense of comfort. His timely response here is just one example of that.

Justin@Airsoft Guns December 1, 2008 at 5:49 am

That’s unfortunate, as I remember when you first mentioned this network it sounded so positive. Even after they said the issue was resolved, it wasn’t, and I think that is the true negative sign.

derek December 1, 2008 at 11:06 am

Justin, yeah the glitch is somewhat troubling but I am encouraged by the fact that they have brought people in to help resolve the issues and move things in the right direction.

Vivienne December 8, 2008 at 11:06 am

I appreciate you sharing your challenges with Performancing Ads. I, too, was very hopeful about the service because it seemed to remedy a big flaw with other ad companies, like ProjectWonderful, where advertisers could cancel their campaign on your blog after several hours and never have to pay the 24-hour booking fee.
However, I’ve had major problems with Performancing and am about to give up. Like you, Derek, I still have an ad displaying that should have been long gone. Plus, two ads I purchased on other blogs never displayed. It took weeks for me to get a response to 4 repeated emails reporting the problem. Finally, they did refund me, but I’m still annoyed about the old ad displaying for free on my blog. Still no response to that.
Viviennes last blog post..How Do You Become a Desperate Housewife?

derek December 8, 2008 at 11:29 am

Apparently the issue with the ads not expiring properly is still not resolved, as I now have another ad that should have expired yet is still being displayed on the blog.
I’ve communicated this to Chris and he has informed me that they are looking into it. We’ll see how long this takes to resolve, but I imagine that they are losing a good number of people due to the frustration of things not working properly.
I’ll keep you all updated as I get any additional information.

Nick@romandock dot com December 10, 2008 at 4:23 pm

That’s not what I wanted to hear! I was going to reinstate Performancing Ads this afternoon but ran out of time…
I think I might still give them a second chance because, heck, what have I got to lose πŸ™‚
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

derek December 10, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Lol, I do think it is worth giving them the chance though as I know Chris is working to improve the service and take care of the issues.
I’ve even offered my technical services to Chris, although thus far have just been trying to offer feedback and notification on any issues that I experience.

Chris @ Performancing December 11, 2008 at 3:45 am

Yes please do give us a try πŸ™‚ and Derek, we really appreciate feedback and early warnings of any problems, because inevitably as we try to improve things we are changing exisiting working code that can break other stuff!

derek December 12, 2008 at 7:55 am

Chris, as someone that is all too familiar with the issues surrounding software development, I am happy to provide as much feedback as I can.
Thanks again for your help. The latest issue has now been cleared up.

Timon Weller December 19, 2008 at 7:03 am

I have been using them for a couple of months now and i have been wondering a few things about them, it is good to hear they addressing some issues that i was wondering about as well… πŸ™‚
Timon Wellers last blog post..Ask me any Affiliate Program Marketing Questions…

M. Roberts February 24, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I run an online business and still haven’t setup my owm blog. After reading your post I’m actually gong to do it.
Thanks.